Coast to Coast

Mice!

I was quite shocked when I heard the word drought mentioned a few weeks back, but last week we took the caravan from Ulverston to Filey, so West Coast to East.

Considering its not that big a distance in the scheme of things the difference in the shrubbery was very noticeable. 

You could see things drying up the further East we went, Went past York and all the fields were being cut with pigeons everywhere,  and more straw bales in different shapes and sizes then I've seen before,  from little piles to huge stacks.

Travelling home the Horse Cheshunt trees were noticeable because there leaves were all brown with the conkers standing out, certainly very early for this I thought,  probably good weather to harvest but not for sowing the next crops.

I heard on the radio that the only two areas in England not to have declared a drought were Cumbria and the North West,  it rained for most of the journey home along the M62 which always makes it interesting,  how some people are allowed to drive I'll never know.

So this morning back in Ulverston it lashed it down,  no worries around here of a drought,  but I could hear running water, I looked and saw the biggest water butt I've ever seen, I think they use it for washing the caravans. 

Screenshot_20220824-173451_Gallery.jpg.76f0ae1018833751a4964445456eb867.jpg

No idea what it holds, but it was overflowing, just shy of the roof hight.

anybody seen a bigger one?

We must be the only ones in the UK that haven't had any measurable rain for weeks , last week we had three days with a Yellow warning from the met office for heavy rain , one day we never got a cloud let alone any rain , the next day we had half a dozen drops of rain in the evening on my windscreen and the third day we watched a storm going down the Yare valley and we did get a little that didn't even wet the concrete , having just watched the weather we could at long last get some tonight , but we have heard that one before , time will tell :drinks:

Hello, never seen the Thames so low in many many years or Farmoor as was on the news tonight, you can stand on the wall and cast a line a fair way but all your do now is hit the concrete , it must be a good 30 yards before you reach water, never mentioned if still fishing, when you consider the amount of water TWA loose in leaking pipes a day, would it be enough to fill Farmoor 1 and 2 ??

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

when you consider the amount of water TWA loose in leaking pipes a day, would it be enough to fill Farmoor 1 and 2 ??

It wouldn't surprise me if all the water companies were loosing as much water as they supply, but they'll never replace the whole system. 

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

We must be the only ones in the UK that haven't had any measurable rain for weeks , last week we had three days with a Yellow warning from the met office for heavy rain , one day we never got a cloud let alone any rain , the next day we had half a dozen drops of rain in the evening on my windscreen and the third day we watched a storm going down the Yare valley and we did get a little that didn't even wet the concrete , having just watched the weather we could at long last get some tonight , but we have heard that one before , time will tell :drinks:

What you describe is the normal weather forecasts for Cornwall. It really makes me laugh when they say the southwest is going to get so and so when they are talking about Bristol roughly 200 miles away.

21 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

What you describe is the normal weather forecasts for Cornwall. It really makes me laugh when they say the southwest is going to get so and so when they are talking about Bristol roughly 200 miles away.

Ironically enough it is raining now , we didn't get any overnight and according to the local weather report the heavy rain just missed us on the East coast , they were saying Bury St Edmunds which is about 50 miles away had 60 mil of heavy rain in a very short time , so some are getting it and hopefully our turn is next as the land and just about everything else is crying out for some. :good:

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Ironically enough it is raining now , we didn't get any overnight and according to the local weather report the heavy rain just missed us on the East coast , they were saying Bury St Edmunds which is about 50 miles away had 60 mil of heavy rain in a very short time , so some are getting it and hopefully our turn is next as the land and just about everything else is crying out for some. :good:

Very heavy rain and thunder storms over Breckland from early this morning, by all accounts.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Very heavy rain and thunder storms over Breckland from early this morning, by all accounts.

Hi Paul     We have had a little off and on for most of the morning but I doubt it wouldn't measure a lot and once again the sun is out and look like a decent afternoon lies ahead , yea , the heavy rain would had been around the Thetford area and that would had been welcome with open arms with the land being very light out that way :good:

16 hours ago, Mice! said:

Doesn't it just, I really wouldn't expect the country to split like that, not without any real mountain ranges to split us.

Its very noticeable at ground level. I drove home down the A40 yesterday from Worcester to Cardiff and at the Wye Valley area it changed from a very yellow and parched landscape to a green and traditional UK summer scene in only a few miles.

It was like I'd travelled back in time to early June.

Thankfully the weather was miserable in Worcester yesterday as they clearly needed it.

Unless you have the actual readings for what causes the discolouration in the picture, you have to look into it closer.  Much of what looks like arid dry grassed areas will likely be harvestable wheat etc or such crops that have been harvested already.  The area of Scotland on the east coast (Fife) - looks like a scotty dogs head is just such an example.  Farmers have been getting their wheat and barley etc in at a phenomenal pace but other areas not yet harvested, look similar and also look as if dried out when that is not the case.  All hosepipe bans were lifted for the area after just 1 week so water table has been raised quite drastically after 8 days of imposition.

Pushkin:good: