How Far Do Deer Run After a Heart Lung Shot?

mchughcb

I have had fallow run a couple of hundred yards. Hit a big fallow buck low neck frontal shot in that litle hollow where all the mains run. That buck ran 180 steps of my paces ( I'm plus 6ft) so as near 180 yrds as makes no difference. The 30-06 130gr round nose had blown the heart torn the lungs and was lodged in the diaphragm.

Had a number of roe run 150 plus, that is why I had a dog handy at all times.  A friend thought he had missed a buck at 80yrds and we went back to the place it was stood, no cut hair, no blood sign.  My old lab went into his "tin soldier" attitude as soon as he had a sniff and set off down the ride for 80yrds before turning into the dense hazels.

A few seconds later I heard a growling and old Muffin was trying his best to retrieve it.  It was clean shot through the heart but still made at least 100yrds before running out of fuel. 

That is why a well trained deer dog is a boon.

7 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Some bad choice of shot and placement I would say.

Yep certainly there was one gut shot at a bad angle. 

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have had fallow run a couple of hundred yards. Hit a big fallow buck low neck frontal shot in that litle hollow where all the mains run. That buck ran 180 steps of my paces ( I'm plus 6ft) so as near 180 yrds as makes no difference. The 30-06 130gr round nose had blown the heart torn the lungs and was lodged in the diaphragm.

Had a number of roe run 150 plus, that is why I had a dog handy at all times.  A friend thought he had missed a buck at 80yrds and we went back to the place it was stood, no cut hair, no blood sign.  My old lab went into his "tin soldier" attitude as soon as he had a sniff and set off down the ride for 80yrds before turning into the dense hazels.

A few seconds later I heard a growling and old Muffin was trying his best to retrieve it.  It was clean shot through the heart but still made at least 100yrds before running out of fuel. 

That is why a well trained deer dog is a boon.

Yep certainly there was one gut shot at a bad angle. 

None of those deer were gut shot. The stag you maybe referring to which was at a rear quartering shot went from the rear rib cage and out the left shoulder.

34 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Some bad choice of shot and placement I would say.

Tend to agree 👍 But i wasn't there to see the range etc just my opinion but with a good stable rest ( quad sticks ) back of head - below the ear or straight between the eyes would have been my shot placement. I'm sure the OP will offer a explanation for his choices 

15 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Tend to agree 👍 But i wasn't there to see the range etc just my opinion but with a good stable rest ( quad sticks ) back of head - below the ear or straight between the eyes would have been my shot placement. I'm sure the OP will offer a explanation for his choices 

Heart lung shot is a high percentage shot. Too much can go wrong with head shots for such a large animal that is moving its head all the time. Here I dispatch a stag which was slowly dying because somebody blew its lower jaw off.

They will run a while, +100 m is not uncommon.

I use head shots when butchering animals or if the animal is already injured and needs to be put down. Otherwise its heart and lungs 100%, you would be kicked of the hunting team if you use anything else on a healthy animal.

/Markus

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

They will run a while, +100 m is not uncommon.

I use head shots when butchering animals or if the animal is already injured and needs to be put down. Otherwise its heart and lungs 100%, you would be kicked of the hunting team if you use anything else on a healthy animal.

/Markus

100% correct.

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well first ..............i wouldnt shoot a deer in the dark.......

Okay

https://youtu.be/tBeTA9CbJGM

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Please may I ask what magnification scope you were using? I ask because the reticule seemed to be wavering all over the place and I certainly don’t see anything like that when I look at an animal through my sights.

Probably 7.9X. If you record you rifle movements in slow mo in field conditions you might surprise yourself. The movement is less of an issue compared to the sight picture when you pull the trigger.

mchughcb. My references to why I'd of head shot them was . Night Shooting and heavy cover also not wanting any Deer to run on 

All my park culling is head shot ( not my decision) Wild free roaming Deer rib shot 100% or if getting dark or near thick cover high shoulder/hilar shot also i have dogs if needed. Having seen many videos etc at times things don't look as the shooter see's that why i posted " i wasn't there" 

I've shot serious numbers of Deer over the last 50 years so have a idea how to go about it .

I generally are interested in your way of doing things also what sort of weight do those Deer go. Was your video about a special Deer cull at night or a you allowed to shoot deer at night in general. I've seen other videos of night shooting of crop damaging Deer in Australia. 👍

Edited by 6.5x55SE

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I generally are interested in your way of doing things also what sort of weight do those Deer go. Was your video about a special Deer cull at night or a you allowed to shoot deer at night in general. I've seen other videos of night shooting of crop damaging Deer in Australia. 👍

The deer can weigh excess of 240kg. You can hunt deer at night on private property with a permit signed by the landowner. I also hunt during the day on private an public land stalking, from tree stands or over hounds. In general the legal rifle calibre minimum is 270 with 130gr projectile. 

37 minutes ago, mchughcb said:

The deer can weigh excess of 240kg. You can hunt deer at night on private property with a permit signed by the landowner. I also hunt during the day on private an public land stalking, from tree stands or over hounds. In general the legal rifle calibre minimum is 270 with 130gr projectile. 

Wow that's some weight mate 😳 you'd laugh at our Muntjac size but we can get some Big lowland Red's. I personally think you have some sound rules then in Australia shame we don't have a few over here ( i won't go into which one's) again these are only my personal opinions. Keep putting video and pictures up please 👍

I stopped watching after the 3rd shot, absolutely **** poor show, bad shots,dodgy angles, no follow up shots, etc...

The first deer was badly hit and all the time in the world for a follow up shot , but no, he preffered to watch the animal in agony.

Although i understand the need of night culling in some areas, do it properly or leave someone else to do it.

Stag.jpg.27ea3f463e505f7e0a732fd74589ddcc.jpg

11 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Wow that's some weight mate 😳 you'd laugh at our Muntjac size but we can get some Big lowland Red's. I personally think you have some sound rules then in Australia shame we don't have a few over here ( i won't go into which one's) again these are only my personal opinions. Keep putting video and pictures up please 👍

They are very big deer and very strong deer. The big ones can go over 320kg which puts them on the same size as a small european moose but with a lot more muscle.

There will always be the armchair experts who have shot a few reds or fallow that will give you their opinion but there is no comparison for toughness. 

Edited by mchughcb

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I'm not an armchair expert having shot many deer including moose and nilgae and some big east european reds over the last 50years years both here in the UK and around the world.  Watched the film again and was not impressed to say the least.

Interesting. Have you posted any of your moose hunts on here?

15 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Here's a nice big bodied stag. Hit fairly decently with the lung shot and ran. You can see the American hunter is surprised how big saying it was and note how many people it took to lift the deer just high enough onto the trailer. I have day hunting videos stalking and with hounds as well (and misses lol!).

Edited by mchughcb

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Why is that important?

If I was to post all my shots on here over the last 50yrs and include video it would require another forum.   Not my style.

It is not important and was a simple yes or no question. Not your style, fair enough. 

16 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Watch to the end and you will see a small stag against a bigger stag. Little stag does a runner after a lung shot, big stag just keeled over. Certainly a few deer around there.