Of fish and Foe

oowee

If you have a spare hour or so try and watch this film / documentary. Its about Scottish net salmon fishermen working off the Scottish coast. There battles with animal rights and eventual demise at the hands of river fishermen. Available on Prime.

Edited by oowee

Have you heard about the Lave net ‘heritage’ fishermen shut down on the Severn?  NRW would not license them to take a single salmon, even they they only caught a few every season between them.  Very similar method to the Haff netters on the Solway, stand up to their waists in the tide with a glorified shrimp net. 

Edited by scolopax

49 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Have you heard about the Lave net ‘heritage’ fishermen shut down on the Severn?  NRW would not license them to take a single salmon, even they they only caught a few every season between them.  Very similar method to the Haff netters on the Solway, stand up to their waists in the tide with a glorifies shrimp net. 

Half netting continues but probably no more than a dozen still going as they are not allowed a single fish. Done as a matter of tradition but barely a salmon in the Nith these days. I haven’t seen one move all season.

30 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Half netting continues but probably no more than a dozen still going as they are not allowed a single fish. Done as a matter of tradition but barely a salmon in the Nith these days. I haven’t seen one move all season.

Got my first salmon of the Nith in 1984  a 11 pound bar of silver .

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Are you sure?  I walked through dumfries centre two years ago and during the five minutes I walked the river bank an old boy landed a nice 10 pounder. I must have been very lucky to time it just right

1 hour ago, scolopax said:

Are you sure?  I walked through dumfries centre two years ago and during the five minutes I walked the river bank an old boy landed a nice 10 pounder. I must have been very lucky to time it just right

There are a few but very far between. The water has been too low so you have had to catch it just right. I clearly haven’t nor have a few pals

2 hours ago, scolopax said:

I remember eating breakfast in a river side hotel in the centre of Inverness and watching an angler catch a good size Salmon [ went over to ask if he needed a hand, but he was fine] a lucky catch as well

9 hours ago, 30-6 said:

I can understand the river anglers getting peeved, but would a couple of boxes of fish have caused that much difference to river stocks ?

Follow the money. The truth is that the local economy benefitted far more from those who many who came and come to fish for salmon and booked hotels, ate in restaurants, filled up with petrol at local filling stations and all the rest of it than ever did from the handful of men that ran the net lines. Would we still insist that we run an economy just to keep buggy whip makers in business - if you ever can hire the film "Other People's Money"? 

Edited by enfieldspares

20 hours ago, 30-6 said:

I can understand the river anglers getting peeved, but would a couple of boxes of fish have caused that much difference to river stocks ?

A couple?

Even until recently I have seen 40-50 salmon and sea trout landed from a set net which would have been one of 2-3 inspections that day on a river (Tyne) that has 30 000 fish a year. 

On the Tay it would have been even bigger slaughter, there were 4 netting stations with a mile up and down stream from where I lived, further down there would have been a dozen or so down to Dundee. 

Although they aren't the only reason for the decline they certainly would not have helped at all.