Birds of prey

rickardo

34 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Beautiful birds 

this could be a wonderful thread 😊

you could tell us all about them please 

nursed a few injured ones but never (yet) had the knowledge or time to train one to work and hunt 

thanks for posting 😊👍

Mainly fly for work , but do hunt them, pic top- bottom female peregrine x lanner, female gyr x saker, male peregrine, female goshawk then my female gyr x saker.. 

31 minutes ago, jason g said:

Beautiful birds, I aim to go fly a bird through experience days each year and its amazing to see them working 👍👍

Can you not find anyone local to tag along

I once had the great experience and pleasure of a day’s hawking with Harris hawks at the Hawk Conservancy in Hampshire. Caught a few rabbits bolted by ferrets, but seem to recall that the odd pheasant proved too quick for those hawks.

First time in years that I had a young bird on my arm 🤣

Great photos by the way Richardo

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

9 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I once had the great experience and pleasure of a day’s hawking with Harris hawks at the Hawk Conservancy in Hampshire. Caught a few rabbits bolted by ferrets, but seem to recall that the odd pheasant proved too quick for those hawks.

First time in years that I had a young bird on my arm 🤣

Great photos by the way Richardo

OB

Yes I know what you mean, I’ve caught plenty of pheasant with Harris hawks but usually when there up a tree and flushed, there just sometime flown in different ways ie I flew my Harris hawks following me in the tree tops where the goshawk is flown more like a falcon off the glove.

9 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Had the very great pleasure of meeting rickardo a couple on months ago, he is a very unassuming gentleman, polite and obviously a superb trainer, the bird on his arm dam near bought a tear to my eye, simply awe inspiring. 

Thank you, good to put a face to a name aswell.  👍

On 24/09/2022 at 16:13, rickardo said:

Mainly fly for work , but do hunt them, pic top- bottom female peregrine x lanner, female gyr x saker, male peregrine, female goshawk then my female gyr x saker.. 

Can you not find anyone local to tag along

Why the crosses with the Falcons? What benefits or advantages do they bring over pure bred birds?

6 hours ago, Penelope said:

Why the crosses with the Falcons? What benefits or advantages do they bring over pure bred birds?

peregrine x lanner - adds a bit of oomph to the lanner at much less cost and has less "over-oomph" than a pure peregrine.   If used for landfill, then it doesn't need to be a full-blown peregrine or Gyr and they would be very expensive birds to risk for the job.

female gyr x saker - puts a bit of size into the relatively small saker, again at significantly less money than a pure Gyr.

Sakers used to be very easy to come by, peregrine and Gyr less so and also at hugely more expensive prices, so breeders used to create the hybrid as a filler for those without the funds to buy the real thing.  It was also cheaper for breeders to buy breeding stock (or Gyr or Pere semen) for AI so they could breed a number of falcons for reasonable cost.

Edited by Mickeydredd

11 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

peregrine x lanner - adds a bit of oomph to the lanner at much less cost and has less "over-oomph" than a pure peregrine.   If used for landfill, then it doesn't need to be a full-blown peregrine or Gyr and they would be very expensive birds to risk for the job.

female gyr x saker - puts a bit of size into the relatively small saker, again at significantly less money than a pure Gyr.

Sakers used to be very easy to come by, peregrine and Gyr less so and also at hugely more expensive prices, so breeders used to create the hybrid as a filler for those without the funds to buy the real thing.  It was also cheaper for breeders to buy breeding stock (or Gyr or Pere semen) for AI so they could breed a number of falcons for reasonable cost.

Thank you, makes sense.

Some nice flying from the new peregrine x lanner on site 0F8A6B96-5286-4B8E-AF0D-AAF8467DAE6F.jpeg.7ffd2d9b47e2a1185aecf941fe2f2772.jpegyesterday, she milled around site going up to just over 450ft, nice to watch was hoping she would put a stoop in at something but nothing took her fancy so ended up calling her into the lure, also the peregrine decided to take a magpie while milling around site and my gyr saker took another crow. 

46DD5BD3-AC2C-4230-962F-E06B53506AFF.jpeg

AA90AE82-CBB3-4C91-894A-5DD6D454B12E.jpeg

E2F1151B-9677-41D6-8B6C-70F38288AE49.jpeg

6 hours ago, oowee said:

These are superb. What a great hobby / interest. You could make some serious money from breeding I guess? 

It would be interesting to fit some sort of tracker to one and see how high, far and fast it flies. 

Not with the hybrids, as I suspect they will be infertile.