Gas and electric meter readings

henry d

Don't know if it has been covered here but I believe that if you don't have a smart meter you need to take a reading preferably on Friday but a day or two either way will do. So that you aren't charged at a higher rate for what you haven't used. 

I believe that it is a good idea for those with a meter to do it too, just in case. 

13 minutes ago, henry d said:

Don't know if it has been covered here but I believe that if you don't have a smart meter you need to take a reading preferably on Friday but a day or two either way will do. So that you aren't charged at a higher rate for what you haven't used. 

I believe that it is a good idea for those with a meter to do it too, just in case. 

Thanks for the info Henry much appreciated.

Hello, I take my own readings with EDF but they only want a few times a year, from October 1st when everyone will know of there new energy price many will find it difficult to pay, despite the £400 government monthly payment fund, I will wait and see what my cost will be after the first monthly government refund payment but I am considering to cancel my DD and pay monthly after sending in meter readings , I will make sure EDF do not hold more money than required to pay each month, many other people I know are looking into this, one has £700 in credit and EDF are reluctant to repay, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I take my own readings with EDF but they only want a few times a year, from October 1st when everyone will know of there new energy price many will find it difficult to pay, despite the £400 government monthly payment fund, I will wait and see what my cost will be after the first monthly government refund payment but I am considering to cancel my DD and pay monthly after sending in meter readings , I will make sure EDF do not hold more money than required to pay each month, many other people I know are looking into this, one has £700 in credit and EDF are reluctant to repay, 

Be very careful of stopping your DD payments. That may change your contract with your supplier and lead to problems.

By all means lower your DD payments, but do not stop them.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Be very careful of stopping your DD payments. That may change your contract with your supplier and lead to problems.

By all means lower your DD payments, but do not stop them.

Hello, I know other retired people who did this with no comeback so only pay monthly for gas ,electric used, 

Pretty much how I read it.

We dropped our DD well down even though they said not too because we could spread the cost over the winter by paying more now. As it happens we have around £120 excess ATM and when in October we get the first of the money off our DD which now means we will only be paying @ £12 a month and the excess will slowly be eaten up through the winter. 

1 hour ago, henry d said:

You can use timing and numbers to reduce the overall bill if you think about it. 

20 minutes ago, henry d said:

Pretty much how I read it.

We dropped our DD well down even though they said not too because we could spread the cost over the winter by paying more now. As it happens we have around £120 excess ATM and when in October we get the first of the money off our DD which now means we will only be paying @ £12 a month and the excess will slowly be eaten up through the winter. 

Hello, this is another way I might look at by reducing the DD payment enough to cover each month

I agree, do not pay more than you need to but that switch on the wall is so convenient, the light comes on or the TV comes on.  I think we sometimes moan a bit...understandable... but it is still better than candles.  Off side a bit my quaterly water bill just dropped on my door and they have charged me 66 pence a day !!! Do you think I should have the supply cut off?

We used to be with Bristol Electric but they went bust and we were transferred to  British gas.  The other week I received a notification about taking a meter reading by the 28th of this month.  I have had another Email about this and I noticed that there was only one unit price.  Now there should have been two seeing as we are on economy 7. A night unit price and a day unit price.  Now this is quite Important because we run the dishwasher and the washing machine overnight to take advantage of the night unit price. The tariff info only showed one price about treble what we did pay for the night units.!   I decided to check this out and about an hour a half online in an online digi chat session I got a message that this would be looked into and resolved. Corrected.  The online operator said that this had been written up in The account quirry.   I took a screen shot of this statement..... NOW.  I took the time and trouble to check this but how many people  will just pay or attempt to pay the full whack which is about treble the night unit cost without realising the one unit price billing.  Also when I take the reading I am minded to increase the amount of units used so that they will be charged at a lower rate even though they will be used in the next higher priced quarter. A new version of levelling up or down.

Edited by Minky