Sparking Switch. Advice needed.

Rem260

Hi Guys

Had a 40 year old fused 13amp switched spur fail. The switch would not operate to turn it on.It was powering an electric oven. (Mains supply to fused switch above counter then through/imbeded in wall to plug socket behind oven. Oven has 13 amp plug.)

The wife had been switching the oven off via the fused switch on the wall and not its own off button. She never noticed and problems with this.

Switched socket replaced with a screwfix 13 amp switched fused spur white item 2323D

https://www.screwfix.com/p/13a-switched-fused-spur-white/2323d

On fitting the new switch she tried turning the oven off via the wall switch and could see a spark and hear a pop. However if the oven is turned off by its own switch on the front panal and then the fused switch. There is no spark or pop.

The question is, is this spark and pop a result of the oven putting a higher load on the circuit when just turning it off via the wall. Or is something else causing this.

Edited by Rem260

Switching the spur B FORE switching the oven means it has to break the load. The spark is the contacts breaking

switch off oven BEFORE spur= NO Spark

also that is not a very good make of spur....get a Scneider one

no need to turn spur off, it's for isolation and protection NOT control

i assume it's just a single oven?    Most single ovens now come with a sticker saying not to fit a plug, even though they draw less than 13A, just saying

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replys.

3 hours ago, Diver One said:

Switching the spur B FORE switching the oven means it has to breYeaak the load. The spark is the contacts breaking

switch off oven BEFORE spur= NO Spark

also that is not a very good make of spur....get a Scneider one

no need to turn spur off, it's for isolation and protection NOT control

i assume it's just a single oven?    Most single ovens now come with a sticker saying not to fit a plug, even though they draw less than 13A, just saying

I thought the switch was a bit cheap but it matched the old one. I originally looked at the scneider one but the corners where too rounded. Will have to get one. Yes just a single oven, was like that when we moved in 40 years ago and only on 2nd oven. Have re educated other half about switching off at the wall.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

It's almost certainly against regs to run an oven from a 13A socket, whether fused or not. If it caused a fire, your insurance company would probably be reluctant to pay out on a claim.

As I said that was how it was when we moved in to the house which was a new build.

Edited by Rem260

On 10/10/2022 at 20:23, Westward said:

It's almost certainly against regs to run an oven from a 13A socket, whether fused or not. If it caused a fire, your insurance company would probably be reluctant to pay out on a claim.

A lot of single ovens come with a 13amp plug. If you need to cut plug off to wire into a spur must be a 13amp fused spur or the switch to isolate the spur must be a 13amp fused switch.

7 minutes ago, fse10 said:

A lot of single ovens come with a 13amp plug. If you need to cut plug off to wire into a spur must be a 13amp fused spur or the switch to isolate the spur must be a 13amp fused switch.

Yet I bet we all use a just short of a 2kw  kettle plugged into a 13a socket without thinking 🤔 

it a funny world we live in !

Agriv8 

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Yet I bet we all use a just short of a 2kw  kettle plugged into a 13a socket without thinking 🤔 

it a funny world we live in !

Agriv8 

Also 3kw fan heaters too. 
Electricity is a ‘dark art’ to most. How do you quantify something you cannot see. 

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Also 3kw fan heaters too. 
Electricity is a ‘dark art’ to most. How do you quantify something you cannot see. 

electricity is like love............if you mess about with it and take it for granted it will cost you and hurt you....

Ditchies thought of the day...(i could get a job writing ****  like this)