GPS App for field permissions?

Winyard

Hi, i have recently gotten permission to shoot on a farmers land, so very much looking forward to it. I will initially do some walked up and a little decoy work when i feel more confident. he is also going to introduce me to a retired gentleman who i think is looking for a bit of company on some days. 

However i was wondering how you work out which fields you can shoot in and which not. I once did a day with a chap who seemed to have an app on his phone which highlighted the Fields’ he could shoot in and let him know where he was so must have been some GPS. Does anyone know what this app might be?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Winyard
Poor spelling

Hello, I'm sure the farm has a map of the farm fields and boundaries , woods, ponds, etc that would be better than a app, also you can ask the farmer what is being planted if you looking at pigeon shooting, he might let you know once you start going, the retired gent will be ideal to partner up if your walking hedgerows, good luck

31 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I'm sure the farm has a map of the farm fields and boundaries , woods, ponds, etc that would be better than a app, also you can ask the farmer what is being planted if you looking at pigeon shooting, he might let you know once you start going, the retired gent will be ideal to partner up if your walking hedgerows, good luck

@Winyard further to what opp has said in the above quote,  if this older retired gent happens to have shot on the land for many years and just isn’t as able to get out these days you’ll be doing a huge good deed and will no doubt be happy if the company and passing on information that’s been gleaned over the years and is without doubt priceless information! Good luck and have fun 

6 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

@Winyard further to what opp has said in the above quote,  if this older retired gent happens to have shot on the land for many years and just isn’t as able to get out these days you’ll be doing a huge good deed and will no doubt be happy if the company and passing on information that’s been gleaned over the years and is without doubt priceless information! Good luck and have fun 

Very true.......if the old chap knows what he is doing. 
Many people shoot all their lives an learn nothing.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

There are so so many that shoot all their lives but hardly go out. 

A perfect example to your statement is at a wildfowler's  club meeting night , far more fowl shot in the pub than on any marsh on I go on :lol:

As for the opps question , these apps things might be the way to go but I would rely on foot work and having a word with the golden olddie , he would , or should know all the little rough spots , anywhere that water might lie after some heavy rain that might interest a few duck , any small woods that might hold a few pigeons , foot paths where members of the public walk and many more little gems that you won't get on these modern apps .

While the weather is nice why not pop round and ask him if he would mind having a walk round without taking your guns just to see what's what and to get to know each other .

GOOD LUCK 

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice. Very much looking forward to spending time with the experienced guy. I am working, but he will hopefully have the time to see the flights, work out crops and where they are and do the “scouting” so to speak.

On a different note, how do you guys humanly kill a pricked bird? Is it a tap to the back of the head with a dense object, or do you do it other ways?

30 minutes ago, Winyard said:

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice. Very much looking forward to spending time with the experienced guy. I am working, but he will hopefully have the time to see the flights, work out crops and where they are and do the “scouting” so to speak.

On a different note, how do you guys humanly kill a pricked bird? Is it a tap to the back of the head with a dense object, or do you do it other ways?

For how many you are likely to shoot I would invest in a priest , or make one yourself by cutting about 9 inches off a broom handle and put a strip of lead around one end , these can be kept in your game bag and any wounded bird you get you can give it a sharp blow on the back of the head , several different ways , but there is nothing worse than someone swinging a bird round by it's neck and then the head and part of it's neck come off , one way I would not recommend with all this bird flu about is putting the birds head in your mouth and give the scull a bite , this is true and I have seen it done many times , not for me , I prefer holding the bird in my left hand , twist the neck a couple of times with your right hand and then force the body down with your left hand while stretching it at the same time , whatever method you use , make sure you carry it out as soon possible once you have retrieved the bird / animal .:good: