Evening Flighting on the Tay

freddie d

Hi All,

I know this will probably not be received too well as I am sure that people would be reluctant to give up their spots. However, I was looking for some advice on where would be good to evening flight the Tay estuary. I have morning flighted the river for a few years but hear that people can get good sport in the evening, however that has never been the case with myself as everything piles over well out of shot.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on likely locations for evening flighting on the river?

Cheers all, happy fowling.

Do you take the win

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

I once told a fella where I got my mushrooms.

BAD MISTAKE.

It didn't take me long to work out a pile of empty cartridge cases left near a gateway didn't always mean this was a good flighting place , total waste of time asking the ole boys at the time where the best place was as all you got was a pack of lies , mind you after a time I learnt a lot of them didn't know where the best places were neither .:lol:

1 hour ago, freddie d said:

Hi All,

I know this will probably not be received too well as I am sure that people would be reluctant to give up their spots. However, I was looking for some advice on where would be good to evening flight the Tay estuary. I have morning flighted the river for a few years but hear that people can get good sport in the evening, however that has never been the case with myself as everything piles over well out of shot.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on likely locations for evening flighting on the river?

Cheers all, happy fowling.

To be honest I think that you are "widdling into the wind" asking specifics.

Just get out there and enjoy it 👍👍

11 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

To be honest I think that you are "widdling into the wind" asking specifics.

Just get out there and enjoy it 👍👍

It's part of the game i reckon finding your own path and forgive me for saying so but perhaps a tad lazy wanting it fed on a plate. I'm not being offensive but get Yer **** out there and do what we all done. When you do find good spots, I'd be interested to see how fast you were willing to give them up to someone over the internet. I have helped out quite often, in fact just a few days back, when a few lads were close by me, few hundred yards away, and i know birds will cross up or down from them, ill shout over and tell them to move left or right, but that's because they are out there already and showing willing. It's actually very rewarding when you latch on to a hotspot.it becomes "yours" in a way as it has done for a good few generations before you, i think.

Even being told where the best places are to flight is never a guarantee for success , you need to learn the habits of the fowl you are going after and take the weather into consideration to give you a chance of a shot , this can only be done by spending many days , weeks , months and years slogging away and putting the odd piece you learn into the jig saw puzzle until it get near to completion , I say near because it will never be completed as you will never know all there is to know about wild fowling .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Even being told where the best places are to flight is never a guarantee for success , you need to learn the habits of the fowl you are going after and take the weather into consideration to give you a chance of a shot , this can only be done by spending many days , weeks , months and years slogging away and putting the odd piece you learn into the jig saw puzzle until it get near to completion , I say near because it will never be completed as you will never know all there is to know about wild fowling .

Very good advice, very articulate and true 👍 

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

And, to me, this is all what wildfowling is about! If you're more interested in pulling the trigger, a flight pond might be better. 

On 26/10/2022 at 20:58, marsh man said:

Do you take the win

It didn't take me long to work out a pile of empty cartridge cases left near a gateway didn't always mean this was a good flighting place , total waste of time asking the ole boys at the time where the best place was as all you got was a pack of lies , mind you after a time I learnt a lot of them didn't know where the best places were neither .

Saying that about old boys and porky's, when I was in my early 20s I was sat at a gate watching a good line of pigeons hitting a rape field, just then a land rover pulls up behind me and this old boy gets out (well he was to me) he was in his 60s, we got chatting, turns out he also shot the farm, he asked, “are you going to shoot the field”, I said no, its a bit late now but I shall be here tomorrow...”what time he asks”..about 9 ish, I asked him if he was out tomorrow...”no, I doubt it”, bids me good day and off he goes.

I gets there the next day just before 9am and the old bar stead was in the best spot on the field banging away.:smartass:

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

Saying that about old boys and porky's, when I was in my early 20s I was sat at a gate watching a good line of pigeons hitting a rape field, just then a land rover pulls up behind me and this old boy gets out (well he was to me) he was in his 60s, we got chatting, turns out he also shot the farm, he asked, “are you going to shoot the field”, I said no, its a bit late now but I shall be here tomorrow...”what time he asks”..about 9 ish, I asked him if he was out tomorrow...”no, I doubt it”, bids me good day and off he goes.

I gets there the next day just before 9am and the old bar stead was in the best spot on the field banging away.:smartass:

He was probably that commonly found creature: a good shot but a bad sportsman. The World is full of them.

12 hours ago, old'un said:

I gets there the next day just before 9am and the old bar stead was in the best spot on the field banging away.

Trouble is old'un , at the tender age of being in the early 20s you didn't take in account that , I doubt it didn't mean he wasn't going , he was only doubtful he was going the same time as you , so once you told him what time you were likely to go, he was then in doubt of going earlier or later , so rather than clash with each other in going at the same time he decided to go earlier , so reading between the lines , once he found out what time you were likely to go , it was doubtful it was ever going to be in doubt weather he was going or not , so really speaking , it was you at fault for not telling the elderly gentleman you were going later and then deciding to make a early start :lol:

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

Trouble is old'un , at the tender age of being in the early 20s you didn't take in account that , I doubt it didn't mean he wasn't going , he was only doubtful he was going the same time as you , so once you told him what time you were likely to go, he was then in doubt of going earlier or later , so rather than clash with each other in going at the same time he decided to go earlier , so reading between the lines , once he found out what time you were likely to go , it was doubtful it was ever going to be in doubt weather he was going or not , so really speaking , it was you at fault for not telling the elderly gentleman you were going later and then deciding to make a early start 

Yep, he was a bit of a wily old fox and I was a bit green, but it taught me a lesson, don't trust old men you meet in a country lane, especially if they are driving a land rover.:)