Insurance switch rip off

Acerforestry

I recently had a more elderly 2003 Ford Ranger that I have upgraded to a 2007 model, and insured with Adrian Flux. When i switched the cover last week I thought, well both cars are well under 5 grand so usually there isn't much difference in cover cost. But the woman I spoke to say the lowest she could transfer the cover for was 150 quid as apparently risk goes up when people switch vehicles. I can kind of understand that, but 150 quid on top of 500 odd for the previous cover (more because I spread the payments) is starting to sound steep for a 53 year old with max no claims. Has anyone had the same experience?

15 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

I recently had a more elderly 2003 Ford Ranger that I have upgraded to a 2007 model, and insured with Adrian Flux. When i switched the cover last week I thought, well both cars are well under 5 grand so usually there isn't much difference in cover cost. But the woman I spoke to say the lowest she could transfer the cover for was 150 quid as apparently risk goes up when people switch vehicles. I can kind of understand that, but 150 quid on top of 500 odd for the previous cover (more because I spread the payments) is starting to sound steep for a 53 year old with max no claims. Has anyone had the same experience?

I've just changed a 2001 navara to a 2013 Mitsubishi l200 and my insurance, also with Adrian Flux has increased from 262 to 480 and a higher excess, but after looking around on various comparison sites  they were still the cheapest and they included motor legal cover.

52 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

adrian flux sucks..................ive been with them for years.....when i moved and changed my address with them it cost £30 bloody quid for letting them know............

rip off britain ehy ?.......................EVERY BODY  is trying to screw everybody all the time...........there is going to be a rekoning some time....there will be alot of people going up against the wall...........

I had a slightly different expeience with AF. I was closing my cover for my Land Rover and putting the Duster in place. The lady on the phone was prossesing the arrangement and suddenly said, Wait!   another company has just come up a £150 cheaper. Apparently on their system they display they are looking for certain cover with Brokers and get updates all the time.  I suppose I was lucky.   Still very expensive .

I have noticed insurance has risen recently. 
I have a small run around limited milage fully comp. 

£112 last year upto £170 come renewal - a new quote with the same insurer - £650!!!!!!

a call and they said the renewal was best they could do and even tinkering they couldn’t get quotes within £200 of the renewal. 

anyhow comparison site £135. 

the call handler said insurance has gone up this year and a lot of brokers are dropping certain customers. 
so a cheap run around may not be viable to insure as it’s worth nothing but may run into a Porsche so a car with a £200 value could cause £20k worth of damage.

I've replaced both our cars in the last year - both insured with AA. Similar insurance risk and class replacements - the underwriter would not cover either of them.

Had to cancel and found cheaper cover elsewhere. The issue is partly down to how soon cover is required, immediate cover carries a price premium - while a 3 weeks ahead quote can be up to 30% or more cheaper.

comparison site shopping has turned the industry around, accessing a file to change a car or address is often charged for now, and things that were covered as fully comp are now extras or have more clauses applied: an example is driving other cars... CHECK your small print.

Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

adrian flux sucks..................ive been with them for years.....when i moved and changed my address with them it cost £30 bloody quid for letting them know............

rip off britain ehy ?.......................EVERY BODY  is trying to screw everybody all the time...........there is going to be a rekoning some time....there will be alot of people going up against the wall...........

I can see you now at the gates of 10 Downing Street with pitchfork in hand. :ninja:

“power to the people”

1 hour ago, old'un said:

I can see you now at the gates of 10 Downing Street with pitchfork in hand.

“power to the people”

bloody right i will be there ...with my trusty rope....and bundles of faggots and a stout stake.....burn em we will burn em em all...:mad:👹😈💣🪓

5 hours ago, ph5172 said:

I have noticed insurance has risen recently. 
I have a small run around limited milage fully comp. 

£112 last year upto £170 come renewal - a new quote with the same insurer - £650!!!!!!

a call and they said the renewal was best they could do and even tinkering they couldn’t get quotes within £200 of the renewal. 

anyhow comparison site £135. 

the call handler said insurance has gone up this year and a lot of brokers are dropping certain customers. 
so a cheap run around may not be viable to insure as it’s worth nothing but may run into a Porsche so a car with a £200 value could cause £20k worth of damage.

Sounds like the impact of the crash of cash scam gangs. 

Buy a **** car, insure 3rd party only, smash into a car full of your mates … and your own passengers claim off you as well! 

6 hours ago, RCB56 said:

I've just changed a 2001 navara to a 2013 Mitsubishi l200 and my insurance, also with Adrian Flux has increased from 262 to 480 and a higher excess, but after looking around on various comparison sites  they were still the cheapest and they included motor legal cover.

I will bear this in mind, the only reason i went to Flux to begin with as my wife and I have joint cover with Aviva on other vehicles is Aviva could not cover an import Pajero I had briefly 6 months back. That said, as ditchman points out we appear to be getting finacially hammered from all angles and before too long a lot of us simply are not going to be able to cover everything. That's when civil unrest may begin