Live pigeon gun

dipper

3 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Miroku 3800 / 32inch should do the trick

I’m not sure when the first Mk38 was developed, but ‘live’ trap pigeon shooting was banned in about the 1920’s I think. 
Most ‘live’ pigeon guns are sxs’s dating from the turn of the last century. 

15 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure when the first Mk38 was developed, but ‘live’ trap pigeon shooting was banned in about the 1920’s I think. 
Most ‘live’ pigeon guns are sxs’s dating from the turn of the last century. 

1920's sounds about right because my Grandad had a 410 which as soon as it was shut it was live

20 hours ago, London Best said:

“trap” shooting was originally done with live pigeons in a trap.

Still is in some places 🤔 very strict rules and a lot of prize money 

iv got 2 live pigeon guns both with a good deal of choke 

almost tempted to part with one but the op is a long way from me and there a gun you should try before you buy 3inch chambers on one of them 

there rare things nowadays 

F85A32D1-F714-441F-8584-8EB391874E01.png

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

So many newcomers to shooting do not realise/know about this.

in victorian times a lot of the gentry were involved and serious money was won and lost on betting..............i reaseached it a while ago...and i think there was an extensive thread on it...quite a bit of information about it ...out there..

https://www.fedecat-uk.com/history-of-shooting-sports.html

On 09/12/2022 at 22:02, Gordon R said:

What are described as live pigeon guns are, from my limited knowledge, long barrelled, tight choked, heavier shotguns. Basically a trap gun.

Yes👍

On 09/12/2022 at 22:02, Gordon R said:

What are described as live pigeon guns are, from my limited knowledge, long barrelled, tight choked, heavier shotguns. Basically a trap gun.

A mate of mine shot a lot of trap in Vilamoura late 70 .He also shot live pigeons a lot of money was bet on shooters .One time he won enough to pay for his holiday.It’s shot in America very low key .It’s shot in some parts of Spain even now .I know people who shoot it today . Some top clay shots also take part.  Quite a lot of information on doublegunshop.com-home Mainly Victorian Monte carlo .