177 Slugs

wymberley

While buying various sample quantities to sort out which will work best all round in the new rifle, I also bought a couple of samples of 177 slugs - Zan and JSB both in 10gr flavour - just to try in the non FAC R-10 for the sake of it. I know, I know, but accepting all of the possible variables does anyone have a rough and ready possible figure for the minimum velocity required to stabilise these? Ultimately, my grand-daughter will have the R-10 for range use and I have bought a single loader which may or may not help with the slugs.

MTIA

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

While buying various sample quantities to sort out which will work best all round in the new rifle, I also bought a couple of samples of 177 slugs - Zan and JSB both in 10gr flavour - just to try in the non FAC R-10 for the sake of it. I know, I know, but accepting all of the possible variables does anyone have a rough and ready possible figure for the minimum velocity required to stabilise these? Ultimately, my grand-daughter will have the R-10 for range use and I have bought a single loader which may or may not help with the slugs.

MTIA

I bought a tin of the H&N .177 slugs for my (non fac) air arms 410 - I used a few, but it quickly became very obvious that I didn't have enough gun.

Not sure how helpful that is re your original question though.

Edited by PeterHenry

13 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

I bought a tin of the H&N .177 slugs for my (non fac) air arms 410 - I used a few, but it quickly became very obvious that I didn't have enough gun.

Not sure how helpful that is re your original question though.

Many thanks. That is exactly what I've been lead to believe

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Around 950 - 1000 fps .to be much use in terms of accuracy  expansion and trajectory  .

Hope that answers  your question .

I got some 10 grn ones at around 900 fps and it wasn't fast enough. 

Again, as above.

I'm going to have to swap some scopes around so in addition to zeroing the new rifle I'll need some extra targets for this plus the chrono to see how it's doing. With the kit all in use and for the sake of just a few minutes and a couple of quid I thought I'd give it a go.

40 minutes ago, villaman said:

Imo totally pointless using slugs in sub12 , far better of with a decent pellet for your gun 

See my last post. No harm, no foul. Whatever happens they're going to have to go some to out perform the 10.34gr JSB. Seems the pellet makers are also giving it a go as well though.

The problem is everyone who posts about using slugs in sub 12 says they shoot to 25 yards, if I was only ever shooting to 25 yards I'd stick with my 22, 

Some fellas saying they get great results using 13 and 16 grain Zans shooting squirrels off feeders, but I can't really see the point, fac is obviously a quite different ball game.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Wymberly I’ve bought some Zan slugs in 10gr to test. Not holding out much hope but try I will. 

That's all one can do. The advantage, though, having done it is you then KNOW.

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The problem is everyone who posts about using slugs in sub 12 says they shoot to 25 yards, if I was only ever shooting to 25 yards I'd stick with my 22, 

Some fellas saying they get great results using 13 and 16 grain Zans shooting squirrels off feeders, but I can't really see the point, fac is obviously a quite different ball game.

Yep, can't see the point (or advantage) for purely short range. I'm looking at them because having learned to shoot with iron sights I still use 'up a little, left a tad' even with optics. It works fine and is quick with all other rifles but I'm way out of it with the puff gun and I really need some help particularly with the windage but also bullet path when stretching. It's these two factors that limit my effective range - getting (got) old.

Only plus at short range is slug expansion and not passing through. 
Zan prices are not much more than JSB pellets. 400 slugs for same price as 500 pellets. Worth a try and if don’t work in my current barrel gun combo they might in a tighter twist rate in future. 
I might need to work out the rotational speed that slugs stabilise at by fps in a known barrel then work out what twist rate is required at sub12 fps speeds to achieve same rotation as it leaves the barrel. 
Could all be for nothing. 

Edited by figgy

• 1 month later...
On 09/12/2022 at 19:29, wymberley said:

MTIA

Hi Wym, i shoot zan slugs in my HW100.177 ,i use a single shot loader

accurate out to 30 yds  and i have killed rats at 20 yrds with it,

its running at10.90 fpe ..

atb brian

I shot some 13 grns h+ n  slugs today around 820 fps  

They held a pretty reasonable group out to 70 yds when my gun was right in its sweetest  spot  .

Drop was pretty extreem from its usual 8.44 pellet diet  . 

Really that's just not fast enough to be of any real use .

Still sticking with pellets . But the potential  is there for anyone with a long barrelled  bottle gun who can get them up above 1000 fps  

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2023 at 19:10, happyshooter said:

I am quite happy using zan .177 slugs in my hw100.177

there accurate , and at 20 yds have so far nailedx6 tree rats

i am about to try .20 slugs in my huntsman.20cal,

so watch this space.

atb brian

Keep us posted, I have a huntsman .20

Tried a few different slugs in .177  Hatsan AT44 10, i so far found the ZAN 10 grain the most accurate and ZAN 13 only slightly worse.

I  Think the thing is with slugs and a lot of the inconsistencies some find with them are not strictly down just the need for speed to stabilize. 

650/ 700 FPS is fine the big thing with the Hatsan AT44 is juggling the unregulated nature of the thing, and equally important getting the slug into the barrel neatly.  Not tried the mag just loaded off single shot tray, this i found mattered how smoothly you chambered the slug and if you just popped the slug in racked it home the difference in FPS and thus accuracy was very marked.  I don't see the same FPS variation with pellets they seem more forgiving somehow.

If i fill the Gun with air off the bottle  shoot  five shots with any old pellets then Switch out to the single shot, I got about 25 very consistent in FPS shots regardless of ammo type. And if i load the slugs gentle feel it in steady if you understand its actually quite astounding how accurate the ZANs are in this gun.  The thing is by trial and error i found what this unregulated gun liked and needed to shoot the slugs well, and it could be anyone who has a better regulated gun perhaps has a lot easier time of it than me.

On the subject of FPS, if you can keep your variance in the sub  10s or certainly under 20fps i think you stand a good chance of some shot on shot accuracy with these slugs, but once the pressure starts to change you get that single shot out of the group wrecking it.  In my case i think a good aftermarket regulator of some kind would help a lot.

On 12/02/2023 at 19:26, happyshooter said:

Hi Wym, i shoot zan slugs in my HW100.177 ,i use a single shot loader

accurate out to 30 yds  and i have killed rats at 20 yrds with it,

its running at10.90 fpe ..

atb brian

Not a lot of progress here for one reason or another. Although the potential accuracy looked good on the new to me SE10, the velocity wasn’t up to spec’ so I ‘m getting it sorted via a new reg’. Swapping buddy bottles - putting the larger on the FAC - with the R10 made sense to me as did swapping some scopes about. The first priority with the R-10 is the magpies in a friend’s garden which fortunately backs straight on to the estuary so no problems there. Then I’ll try the slugs. Unfortunately, the smiths Are tied up with an  ‘event’ on a local estate so I have to wait for the SE -10 to be fettled before I can have a go with that.