A big runner

Dave at kelton

11 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

The Turkey was obviously shot??. Driven? Sorry if it's a silly question! Good job,  would he have been much bigger than a big  Canada goose?

Not a silly question. Yes shot. They have a few in most of the pheasant drives to add a little interest. They come over like bombers with the pheasants and it’s surprising how well they fly off the hills. Oddly very few are actually hit. That drive there were two shot. The first was dead and dropped near a picker up. Saw this one hit whilst standing back and heard it thump on the bank behind. Had hoped it dropped this side of the river but as it is low at present it was a safe swim at that point for the dog. I don’t usually send my dogs for them largely due to size but I couldn’t leave that so used my oldest dog who I know is fearless and can be handled over the water. He has also tackled a lot of geese over the years. I wouldn’t put a young dog near them.

As Ditchy says he was loving his moment to shine . Grand place to shoot and work your dogs .

lovley to see owner and dog working so well a credit to you and the time and effort you have put it.

never seen a turkey fly let alone shot at one -  geese yep downed a few (grey lags and Canada) still teaching the spanner spaniel to leave them for the moment !

Agriv8

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, turkeys fly very well indeed. Great sight down in Texas to see a whole mass take off, particularly off a ridge.    Does the shooter get the prize?

Interestingly they don’t seem that bothered about taking the turkey home but I will find out when I am back on Thursday!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Always thought that driven turkeys was a much more fun way of hunting turkeys than sitting under tree and blasting them at 20yrds with a magnum shotgun. They are supposed to be a bit smart but all those I saw in Texas where dumb but good eating.

What kind of loads would they use for that? I suppose in the wild they are as tough as old boots and need a hefty punch to put them down.

They use a decoy hen and callers, pull the bird into about 20-25yrds and then using heavy choked 12 gauge using 3 inch shells whack 'em in the head and neck.  I was invited to do just that and accepted because it was just good manners but it is more testing head shooting a squirrel off of one of my feeders.  I was of course polite and said thankyou but I would not wish to do it again.