Cant help myself

Bigbob

I am hoping this xmas all my daughter and son and there  spouses and two grandchildren will be coming to mine for xmas . The daughter certainly will as she is on a years maternity leave but the rest work in the catering trade for weatherspoons so sometimes the choices are eat late or early to allow for there shifts . The daughter has ordered a Marks and spencer xmas  meal i dread to ask the cost , But panicking about the shortages i got a 8 person turkey crown  roast and put it in the freezer . But them i got a chicken roast a turkey roast a gammon roast and a pork roast , i also have a few pheasants and a mate is to get me some venison and today i got pigs in blankets etc  . While it annoys the wife  i said i plan to get a big bag of potatoes and during the holidays if the kids are herewith a bit of notice i can do a roast meal for them and that allows them to put the feet up and watch the box as much as there kids will allow them but it is xmas after all .

Reminds me of my days as a youngster back in the 50s. My Mum and Grandmother started cooking and preparing at the end of October and usually around 25 relatives and friends would sit down to a meal like no other on Christmas night.  About nine of us would have Christmas lunch.  Now a days Christmas day is much like any other but we celebrate my wifes birthday by inviting friends in for s blow out supper on 12th night.  We always have two freezers full of varied food ,,,,believe in being prepared.

Edited by Walker570

I like a bit of cooking got a pile of veg to make soup with on sunday and a gammon  joint but fancy a treacle topping or patting it down with brown sugar , then trifle 

i like doing a roast on a sunday till the wife moaned chicken and the trimmings is too much every sunday LOL 

But xmas day is best left to the wife and i just wash up to keep the plates coming 

For the first time in 15 years (apart from when I had Covid December 2020) I'm actually not working on Xmas Day.(social care) I'm working a night shift on Xmas Eve and then back in on a night shift on 27th. I'm looking forward to having Xmas dinner with my wife, and to see some of my grandchildren on a Xmas day.

16 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

For the first time in 15 years (apart from when I had Covid December 2020) I'm actually not working on Xmas Day.(social care) I'm working a night shift on Xmas Eve and then back in on a night shift on 27th. I'm looking forward to having Xmas dinner with my wife, and to see some of my grandchildren on a Xmas day.

Never did work any Bank Holidays if we could help it. Time and a half,  what was not to like and we had Christmas in the Station. Gave those guys with young families a chance to spend Christmas with the kids as well.

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Never did work any Bank Holidays if we could help it. Time and a half,  what was not to like and we had Christmas in the Station. Gave those guys with young families a chance to spend Christmas with the kids as well.

I worked the Xmas holidays for the same reason - for the staff who had young children to be with them. Double time for me on Xmas Eve (12hr shift)