Christmas Goose

Lloyd90

1 minute ago, bornfree said:

Unfortunately bird flu has hit the British free range goose trade really hard this year. The farms I fox shoot on lost 66,000 

Yes I thought that would be the case… I said to my Mrs we may not get one due to the bird flu… 

When we saw the frozen ones we got one as a backup and it became the main player :) … we even bought a second frozen goose and my Mrs wants it for her birthday. 

One was from Hungary and the other Poland. 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I thought that would be the case… I said to my Mrs we may not get one due to the bird flu… 

When we saw the frozen ones we got one as a backup and it became the main player :) … we even bought a second frozen goose and my Mrs wants it for her birthday. 

One was from Hungary and the other Poland. 

There will be very few British geese next year. Until they develop a vaccine it's too big a risk.

11 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Was in Lidl christmas eve late on, whole fresh turkeys £10.

My brother delivers for Tesco and said they had loads of turkeys left at his branch, but out of eggs. Tesco are finding farmers letting contracts lapse as price is too low. Heard from another farmer they won’t meet the prices now required to make it viable. No shortage just a matter of supermarkets meeting the price.

Talking about shop bought frozen, we had frozen 2.5k speciality turkey breast from Iceland, cooked from frozen, it was bacon wrapped with parchment paper around it for cooking so helped retain the moisture. It was very good and kept its moisture. Strongly recommended.

We had the usual turkey from the same local (short walk!) turkey farm.  Apart from the (also usual) worries from the cook (my sister) that it would be too small ........ in fact it was excellent (as were all of the accompaniments) and plenty leftover.

Having said that - I have had very good frozen birds as well on other occasions, but we do always have local fresh at Christmas.

13 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

My brother delivers for Tesco and said they had loads of turkeys left at his branch, but out of eggs. Tesco are finding farmers letting contracts lapse as price is too low. Heard from another farmer they won’t meet the prices now required to make it viable. No shortage just a matter of supermarkets meeting the price.

It’s why my mate sold a few hundred dairy cows and packed in milking … Muller who bought all his milk flat out refuses to pay a penny more than they negotiated over 5 years ago, despite the fact he was making a loss the last year or two (was a 5 year fixed contract). 

He packed it in as just not viable.