Purchasing good from Australia

steve_b_wales

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Can't you get them on Amazon Steve

No, sadly. I can get a limbsaver form a few UK companies, but this one comes with the extra fitting/s for my Oryx chassis. A bit expensive but I think it will be worth it.

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Some imfo' here. Looks like duty includes p&p.

Thanks. Looking at the 'rules', it appears that I should not pay any extra tax/duty as the goods are worth less than the stated £135, and VAT is added by the company selling the product. 

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I want to purchase a limbsaver recoil pad specifically designed to fit one of my rifles. The total cost is £116:00. Does anyone know if I would have to pay import duty/VAT on this?

Just interested, why are you buying from Australia and not directly from Limbsaver? I have purchased stuff from Australia in the past, can be a bit of a nightmare, the last thing I ordered sat at Coventry customs centre for a month. You will have to pay duty over a certain amount, the last recoil pad  I ordered back in June 2021 was $66 delivered 

3 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Just interested, why are you buying from Australia and not directly from Limbsaver? I have purchased stuff from Australia in the past, can be a bit of a nightmare, the last thing I ordered sat at Coventry customs centre for a month. You will have to pay duty over a certain amount, the last recoil pad  I ordered back in June 2021 was $66 delivered 

Because the company in Australia has designed a 'back plate' to fit onto the limbsaver and then onto the rifle. I could just buy a limbsaver here in the UK and grind it into shape and somehow attach it to the chassis. On such an expensive rifle, I would prefer to pay extra and have it looking proper.

3 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Heard of some disasters recently about firearms-related goods being seized by Aussie customs with no compensation. Benign objects in some cases like forends and scopes. Australia is becoming increasingly "anti-gun". Order with caution! 

Thanks. I'll check with the company tomorrow and ask their opinion.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well, I placed the order on Jan 25th. It's now in Coventry (awaiting customs clearance) so let's see just how long it will take for me to finally receive it.

UPDATE:

I've just had an email from Australia Post informing me that my goods have cleared UK Customs in Coventry and have been handed back to the Post Office. There shouldn't be any customs charge but I will bet that Royal Mail will charge me for 'handling' the goods from custom's!

24 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

I've just had an email from Australia Post informing me that my goods have cleared UK Customs in Coventry and have been handed back to the Post Office. There shouldn't be any customs charge but I will bet that Royal Mail will charge me for 'handling' the goods from custom's!

When you receive it nail it down, i got sent a funny shaped bit of wood and it went straight back to Australia.

UPDATE #2

I have just received the item (via Parcelforce) that I purchased from Australia. Checking the tracking record, it was in Coventry midnight last night. It was posted in Australia on Jan 25th. All in all, a good service, compared to one item that I sent to Northampton, 2nd class/signed for 8 days ago (Royal Mail) and it's gone missing!