Winchester Grand European firing pin

mgsontour

My pal who ain't got much cash but who is very generous in helping me on shoot days has a Winchester Grand European which he was gifted by his uncle. The gun was won in a clay pigeon competition some years ago and suspect has had a lot of shots fired through it but the engraving and woodwork is gorgeous but has had numerous firing pins replaced by our local gunsmith because it keeps misfiring. This seems odd to me and would like to get it repaired for him but would like to ask you all what you think the repair/overhaul would cost before I end up with an enormous bill. Cheers lads

It depends on what gets found when the gun is stripped. And if, as said, it is eating firing pins like a glutton eats hot pies there may be other issues. What might be best would be to "borrow" the gun on the seventy-two hour rule and have, pre-arranged, a competent gunsmith for that make look it over while you wait. At least then you'll have an idea of what's wrong. A properly repleced firing pin should surely be good for twenty, thirty, forty years not twenty weeks!

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

It depends on what gets found when the gun is stripped. And if, as said, it is eating firing pins like a glutton eats hot pies there may be other issues. What might be best would be to "borrow" the gun on the seventy-two hour rule and have, pre-arranged, a competent gunsmith for that make look it over while you wait. At least then you'll have an idea of what's wrong. A properly repleced firing pin should surely be good for twenty, thirty, forty years not twenty weeks!

Your thoughts are similar to mine, however, your solution sounds a decent idea

I have a nikko supreme which is effectivley the same gun as nikko made them for winchester. The firing pins on mine were last replaced 15 or so years ago so they should last a while. It is my main clay gun so goes through a couple of thousand shots a year. It should last a lot longer than that. I used to live up in the north west but used to travel to wisemans down cannock as that is where my grandad used to take it. A proper gunsmiths 👍 

A common problem with my much newer Browning is misfiring on the bottom barrel. Every 3 months or so I take out the bottom barrel firing pin and clean it and it's housing with very fine steel wool and 3 in 1 oil. Never had a misfire since.

I did have both Trap and Skeet Grand European's years ago, they are a very similar set up to the Browning, inside the action. 

Edited by Westley

If it continuous misfire problems it 's  more than just strikers . 101's like all guns have common faults, wear on the cocking cam for instance which can result in the hammers not fully cocking . .Dare I say another gunsmith may have more experience with these or that a fresh eye may be able to spot a previous undiagnosed one .

Not really sufficient detail to be exact. Are the misfires due to light strikes? Is the local gunsmith making the pins himself, to the same dimensions? Is there wear on the replacement pins?

As Westley says, it would be worth cleaning out the housing. A mate's Browning had an occasional light strike misfire - bottom barrel. Advised him to clean out the housing. 

19 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Not really sufficient detail to be exact. Are the misfires due to light strikes? Is the local gunsmith making the pins himself, to the same dimensions? Is there wear on the replacement pins?

As Westley says, it would be worth cleaning out the housing. A mate's Browning had an occasional light strike misfire - bottom barrel. Advised him to clean out the housing. 

This is why a good strip and clean every so often is recommended .

In this case I think its not just a striker problem and needs further investigation ,which no matter what advice any of us can or may give here is no good without having the gun, stripping down and going through everything , cocking , hammer rebound ,springs , etc.etc.

I would have thought though ,a gunsmith that has had a gun several times for the same fault would have already done so and  corrected the problem . 

On 29/01/2023 at 18:34, Northerner said:

I have a nikko supreme which is effectivley the same gun as nikko made them for winchester. The firing pins on mine were last replaced 15 or so years ago so they should last a while. It is my main clay gun so goes through a couple of thousand shots a year. It should last a lot longer than that. I used to live up in the north west but used to travel to wisemans down cannock as that is where my grandad used to take it. A proper gunsmiths 👍 

One of my GB team mates is still shooting his Nikko Supreme trap gun that was given to him when he was sponsored by Hilton Guns the Nikko importers back in the 80's. Its got a bit sloppy and he's had a few misfire problems. Several people, I shan't call them gunsmiths, have tinkered with it and in some cases have made it worse. He finally took it to Wisemans in Cannock last year and they've been through it from top to toe and it's as good as new again. Well worthwhile having someone competent do the maintenance or repairs, as they usually breakdown at the most inopportune moment.