Making Tracer Cartridges

I remember using Trutracers back in the late 80's/ early 90s. I think they had a separate section in them for the tracer part rather than dayglo pellets or similar. The main problem we ran into was whenever we were on a tricky stand and decided to see where we were going wrong, we would end up hitting the bloody clay so didn't learn a thing!! Not a very cost effective way of getting the scores up.

Just had a russle around in the shed and found the chemicals , The tracer compound is a mix of strontium nitrate , barium nitrate , barium peroxide and magnesium flake.

Here is a picture of the ace trace wad 1 complete and 1 I cut in half.

IMG_4175[1].JPGwad.png

Edited by Andy H
added picture

They were not banned , Every single pyrotechnic insert had to be made by a person  (with no automation possible ),And that area where they are made has to be ln accordance within the explosive regulations of the time , So imagine  the small market for them and  if the insert manufacturing company/person has an accident/incident and not wants to not make them any more thats why you do not  see them.

Edited by Andy H

On 24/02/2023 at 14:51, CaptC said:

Great fun passing a tracer cartridge to a keen shot who is about to stand on a "hot" peg, most do not look at the cartridge, load fire and scream!

A an old baikal  works just as well - I keep some for this very reason. Though be careful if user is a semi automatic and support Dennis Healy eye brows as you may need something to dowse the flames!

Agriv8

• 1 month later...

If it helps then just cartridges have/had Winchester 32G 7.5 tracers and think Daunstey Guns in Swindon area also.

No any help for making them but could be useful to buy a box and cut some open to see what’s inside.