Wild Isles

billytheghillie

7 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Well did you watch it?  Say what you want about the B.B.C. but they do crackin nature programmes. The scene with the orcas hunting was stunning, excellent camera work.

I agree - some superb camera work.  Enjoyed watching the white tailed eagles chasing the goose - even if the goose did loose in the end.

I saw the bit about Islay and the geese, the crazy thing  but not mentioned in the show is  that the taxpayer pays for the Barnacles to be culled, i dont know why they dont operate a permit scheme where wildfowlers pay a fee to shoot the geese, that way the geese still get culled but it raises money rather than costing money, and the geese end in the food chain.It would also bring money in from visiting wildfowlers i wonder how much shooting brings in to Orkney each year?

I know of someone who has a licence to cull the geese and they are not allowed to shoot them when flying because they will be getting "sport" out of it, but they can shoot them when on the ground with 5 shot pumps and semi autos, if you tried that when out on the foreshore you would be hounded and banned from every club in the country.

Here is a link to the figures on the geese culled on Islay, i know the birders wont like it but a dead goose is a dead goose and it better being used as a resource than treated like trash.

https://theferret.scot/geese-shooting-islay-scientists/

More on the culling on Islay

Caught on film: geese being shot and injured on Islay (theferret.scot)

Edited by aberisle

14 minutes ago, aberisle said:

I saw the bit about Islay and the geese, the crazy thing  but not mentioned in the show is  that the taxpayer pays for the Barnacles to be culled, i dont know why they dont operate a permit scheme where wildfowlers pay a fee to shoot the geese, that way the geese still get culled but it raises money rather than costing money, and the geese end in the food chain.It would also bring money in from visiting wildfowlers i wonder how much shooting brings in to Orkney each year?

I know of someone who has a licence to cull the geese and they are not allowed to shoot them when flying because they will be getting "sport" out of it, but they can shoot them when on the ground with 5 shot pumps and semi autos, if you tried that when out on the foreshore you would be hounded and banned from every club in the country.

Here is a link to the figures on the geese culled on Islay, i know the birders wont like it but a dead goose is a dead goose and it better being used as a resource than treated like trash.

https://theferret.scot/geese-shooting-islay-scientists/

Very interesting article 👍

Some of the very best filming I have ever seen.

Still find it hard to reconcile the old presenters eco stance as he possibly has contributed more to climate fluctuation than most?

A good illustration of the ever present conflict between conserving the geese and livelihoods?

Only managed to watch the first episode today. Brilliant altogether! 

Interesting  watching the barnacle geese and sea eagles on Islay. We get a lot of feral greylag that come down fron Islay at the end of june each year. Also we have a Sea Eagle that hangs around and is possibly one of the Islay birds. I have seen it a few times an some gulls were mobbing it the first time I saw it.  The wing span looked very impressive.

Here is a video I took on my phone last August of  some of the Greylag returning to roost and this is where the eagle hangs about. Could have took a handy R&L but even if it had of been September, I am just as likely to have let them fly on unchallenged these days. Looking forward to episode 2 of Wild Isles.

Edited by SuperGoose75