License holders urged to hand in firearms

Genghis

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/licensed-gun-owners-urged-hand-26628220

I think that 'Trainee Reporter' Patrick Edrich needs to do a bit more research if he thinks that Glocks and Skorpion Machine Pistols are being legally held in homes in the North West. From the way the article is written, the untrained reader is lead to believe that the gun used to kill Olivia Pra*t-Korbel was stolen from a licensed gun holder.

Edit - I think the swear filter needs editing to remove the word 'Pr*tt'.

Edited by Genghis

10 minutes ago, Genghis said:

I sent an email to the editor asking them to amend the article to make the above clear. I’ll see if I get a response.

Doubt you will.

It's the same business group as the Wales online site. Not so much a reputable news source as a dumping ground for all of those loosers who went to university to study journalism and couldn't quite make the grade.

52 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Doubt you will.

It's the same business group as the Wales online site. Not so much a reputable news source as a dumping ground for all of those loosers who went to university to study journalism and couldn't quite make the grade.

It probably won’t, but since I’ve never conversed with them before I sent them a courteous email. If they don’t respond or respond dismissively then I’ll know where I stand with them in the future.

Only took me a couple of minutes to write the email so no huge loss to myself if it falls on deaf ears.

9 minutes ago, Genghis said:

It probably won’t, but since I’ve never conversed with them before I sent them a courteous email. If they don’t respond or respond dismissively then I’ll know where I stand with them in the future.

Only took me a couple of minutes to write the email so no huge loss to myself if it falls on deaf ears.

Good for you. 👍Think I’ll do the same. 

18 minutes ago, Genghis said:

You never know but your email may well prompt the author to do a little more research for their next article. 👍

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Good for you. 👍Think I’ll do the same. 

Good man. For anyone thinking of doing the same the email is maria.breslin@reachplc.com. This is the editor, not the ‘trainee’ that wrote the article.

Edited by Genghis

I received a reply from the Editor and the article has been edited to include this text:

“Machine pistols including Skorpions and the Glock handgun used in the murder of Olivia are section 5 firearms and cannot be legally owned. Police though are concerned legal weapons could also fall in to the wrong hands”

I’m still not keen on the article, but I can’t stop them expressing their opinions. I just wanted them to make it clear that the guns used in the crimes referred to in the article were not stolen from license holders and cannot be legally owned.

Chances are that most people who will have read the article have already done so before the edit, but hopefully this will encourage them to fact-check next time.

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

I received a reply from the Editor and the article has been edited to include this text:

“Machine pistols including Skorpions and the Glock handgun used in the murder of Olivia are section 5 firearms and cannot be legally owned. Police though are concerned legal weapons could also fall in to the wrong hands”

I’m still not keen on the article, but I can’t stop them expressing their opinions. I just wanted them to make it clear that the guns used in the crimes referred to in the article were not stolen from license holders and cannot be legally owned.

Chances are that most people who will have read the article have already done so before the edit, but hopefully this will encourage them to fact-check next time.

Well done!

Maybe if the police cracked down on the number of illegal arms around and solved a few burglaries the chances of legal firearms falling into the wrong hands would fall.

Why should law abiding people who have taken extra security measures suffer because the police can't do their job properly 

Yeah, I know.

On 07/04/2023 at 07:57, manthing said:

Maybe if the police cracked down on the number of illegal arms around and solved a few burglaries the chances of legal firearms falling into the wrong hands would fall.

Why should law abiding people who have taken extra security measures suffer because the police can't do their job properly 

Yeah, I know.

To be fair, I would like to know how you feel the police could deal with illegal arms more if they don't know where they are. Also with burglaries, it is usually down to chances of CSI intervention to find a criminal rather than police not doing their job properly?

"In September 2022 Acting Chief Constable Ben Snuggs made a commitment that Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary would attend every single dwelling burglary report that we received"

Commitment to attend all burglary reports in Hampshire homes starts to pay dividends. | Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary

Hampshire at least are trying to do their part for the burglary portion of your statement. Finally, I am not sure of what extra security measures you're being asked to do?