Welsh advice and help needed please

mgsontour

Hi all, the wife has got herself in a pickle and politely asking the help of PWatchers.

Her goodself and her friend are taking our 2 nieces to the Coldplay concert in Cardiff on June 6th. When they bought the tickets immediately booked a nice looking apartment via AirBnB because all low and mid range hotels were fully booked apart from the top end at £1k which is ridiculous to take 2 14 year old girls to watch a concert.

On Friday wife got an email stating the AirBnB apartment had increased the fees ( which have already been paid ) with no reason and we need to accept or decline the increase which doesn't taste very nice to us.

Obviously there is a huge demand over the concert but maybe someone on here has a suggestion of where to look, ring or maybe even has something not getting used on the night of the 6th June?

We thank you all in advance for your help

Breach of contract is the first thing that springs into my mind. Once the booking is made and the funds have been transferred a contract exists. If it was paid by credit card you may find that the transaction is covered and the insurance that comes with using a card may pay for alternative accommodation, you’d need to check that though. I’d also be sending the vendor and air bnb a strongly worded email mentioning trading standards and small claims court to recover additional expenses. 

Try outside of the city centre.

The premier Inn local to me (about 25 miles north of Cardiff) has rooms around £100 and is only 45 mins away on a twice hourly train. Beware there are ongoing electrification works across south wales so check any travel arrangements outside of Cardiff before committing.

Any one of the commuter towns in the valleys North of Cardiff will have an acceptable rail link and will be far cheaper for your basic chain hotels. 

Cardiff Central station may be busy on the night but some clever planning (depending on concert start/end times) will see you miss most of it.

Next time, avoid Cardiff like the plague. A truly horrible place when it comes to big events. It's a small minded city trying to play capital and struggling. There's a reason Cardiff tickets are often the cheapest and most easily available tickets on any major tour.

Update.

The booking has been cancelled by the host because we refused the increase and a refund en-route. AirBnB don't seem to get involved if it's earlier than 30 days prior to arrival so the host obviously knew what he was doing.

This still leaves us no accommodation at the moment if anyone has anything available then please let me know

Cheers

My son's stay in Park Plaza or Holland House ( I think that's the right names ). Both are right in Cardiff.

There is a premier Inn in Llantrisant, Magden Park  CF72 8UX. Tel 0333 3211243.

This is about 12 or 15 miles from Cardiff. There is a taxi rank in Talbot Green bus station which is about 1 mile from the Premier.

It's surprising how far £50 in a taxi will get you.

I was in Cardiff last night and 20 odd mile journey home was £50. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels etc within 20 miles, even for a busy event.

Depending on budget the Celtic Manor is OK but pricey, Parkway Hotel Cwmbran is fine and cheaper, St David's, several travel lodge type places. Plenty to choose from.

Edd