Last night TV , BBC 3 9pm, Is this what an Amazon warehouse like to work in ???

oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oowee said:

£15 an hour in Amazon warehouse. 

You paint a picture of enterprising Europeans. Why are Brits unable to do the same? We did in the 70's going to Germany and Spain for work. What's changed when the jobs are on the doorstep? Nothing is the answer. A large proportion of workers will be Brits. 

The only difference is Europeans, any one else really m, provides an excuse for brits to hide behind. Something to blame for our own inadequacy and failings. 

The world belongs to the brave that get out and carve there own future. The moaning Minnie's will forever be just that. 

This. Get out there and grab it! 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

£15 an hour in Amazon warehouse. 

You paint a picture of enterprising Europeans. Why are Brits unable to do the same? We did in the 70's going to Germany and Spain for work. What's changed when the jobs are on the doorstep? Nothing is the answer. A large proportion of workers will be Brits. 

The only difference is Europeans, any one else really m, provides an excuse for brits to hide behind. Something to blame for our own inadequacy and failings. 

The world belongs to the brave that get out and carve there own future. The moaning Minnie's will forever be just that. 

I was in fact replying to @12gauge82 not directly to Amazon. I had a Nephew who went up a tier at the local warehouse but he ended up leaving - and £15 per hour isn't a bad rate. Circa £30K

I was highlighting a) The falseness of a minimum wage impact on Jobs at that level and b) these are jobs that are being taken away from locals who have costs that can't get close to what the ones that are living in garden sheds have.

Auf Weidersehen Pet was based on workers skilled in the construction industry - not on chicken pluckers as we have round here.

1 minute ago, discobob said:

Auf Weidersehen Pet was based on workers skilled in the construction industry - not on chicken pluckers as we have round here.

Auf ... may have been skilled workers but there were many thousands of Brits that went out with no skills or blagged there way to a job. Bars in Spain, welders in Germany, ski instructors, raft guides, nannies, care workers you name it. 

What makes you think that the average Brit worker has costs any different from the average European? At the age workers were likely to come to the UK they were likely to have had few ties. The same goes for many 1000's of younger working Brits who will be in the same position. To suggest that these jobs are somehow taken away from Brit's who have higher overheads is to compare apples with pairs. 

There are many 100's of thousands of Brits that are living in room share exactly the same as happened with migrant workers. That shed dweller is more likely to be a Brit than from elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, discobob said:

The trouble is that the "minimum wage" has created a bottom on the market that nobody (company) has to go above really - creating an artificial bottom. The trouble with a lot of europeans that are working here they are living in (and hotbedding) HMO's - not far from here Garden Sheds have been found accommodating quite a number of people. These are paying pittence, claiming child benefit (or where - not sure if that has been stopped) and sending that money back to their country and therefore raising their standard of living while removing that money from the UK economy..... 

Absolutely right on minimum wage creating a artificial bottom, which ties in with the other major issue this country faces. Not enough decent jobs, while there are many good employers and jobs, there's not nearly enough for the number of talented people in the uk, which is compounded by a flood of low skilled economic migrants. All this has the affect of creating a workforce, particularly in the low/medium skill end of a demotivated, unproductive workforce that knows their chance of improving their personal career prospects are slim to nill due to over competition for low paid jobs.

Until we reform the UK's economy, turning away from the EU empossed services sector, focusing on a higher skilled, higher paid jobs market, while cutting unwanted economic migration for low skilled workers and instead selectively choosing migrants based on benefit to the UK economy.

I guess maybe one day pigs might fly!

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Until we reform the UK's economy, turning away from the EU imposed services sector, focusing on a higher skilled, higher paid jobs market, while cutting unwanted economic migration for low skilled workers and instead selectively choosing migrants based on benefit to the UK economy.

I guess maybe one day pigs might fly!

The sooner we ditch all the old EU regulation and reinstate/create our own rules and laws the better.

The firm I work for was bought a few years ago by an German/American outfit. The initial investment was very welcome.

They have just initiated a massive pay rise in an attempt to retain staff who have been leaving quite good jobs to go to other firms that are paying significantly more for the same work.

One chap has gone for a £22k increase, he will work more nights and weekends and will be away from home more, BUT he will at least feel VALUED!

The major change is that instead of allowing the management of our firm to run things, the new guys have stepped in to get it sorted.

The Union couldn't believe their luck, it was what was needed, hopefully we may see some management either work for a living or move on!

On 27/04/2023 at 17:24, 12gauge82 said:

It goes to show the state of the jobs market when people are prepared to except those working conditions.

If you need a job, you have to take what's there? This was evident a few times during my working life at the start of the big orchestrated decline. Just got on and did it.

FWIW, my humble opinion, it's beyond reversal as decline funds the top 1%?

Edited by old man

I worked at amazon Sunderland about 3 years ago. My shift was 22.00 - 06.00 at a rate of £9.50 per hour. There was also a shift running from 01.00 - 09.00 also at £9.50 per hour. I absolutely hated it and only worked there because I was desperate. Many nights I travelled the 15 miles to work and paying to go through the Tyne Tunnel only to arrive on site to be told we don't need you go home and come back tomorrow.

On 28/04/2023 at 22:06, oowee said:

Auf ... may have been skilled workers but there were many thousands of Brits that went out with no skills or blagged there way to a job. Bars in Spain, welders in Germany, ski instructors, raft guides, nannies, care workers you name it. 

What makes you think that the average Brit worker has costs any different from the average European? At the age workers were likely to come to the UK they were likely to have had few ties. The same goes for many 1000's of younger working Brits who will be in the same position. To suggest that these jobs are somehow taken away from Brit's who have higher overheads is to compare apples with pairs. 

There are many 100's of thousands of Brits that are living in room share exactly the same as happened with migrant workers. That shed dweller is more likely to be a Brit than from elsewhere. 

Unfortunately Grant - I can't agree with you there. If that was the case they wouldn't be coming over here.

There may be thousands of Brits living in house share etc - but that just shows that these Brits can't afford anything else. The migrants are living in the sheds so they can send as much money back to their country - they may have similar responsibilities (wife, kids, house) to UK workers - but they do not have the same costs as those do in the UK.

Love your new avatar...

One of my employees was working for Amazon down here . He claims it was the worst job he had and managers were terrible and you were very active on your feet non stop  and made to feel bad for taking your breaks.

He left after 3 months and went to work in ALDIs for £11.30/ hour