1 1/4" Punt Gun Cartridge Loads

Alex Dick

Can anyone help me with data for loading a 1 1/4" punt gun cartridge? I am having some made (cartrdige heads) to replicate the original Eley cartridge and need to know what the weight of powder and shot that went in was in the originals. Grateful for any advice. many tahnks.

My 1.1/4 is 3 oz of black powder (coarse) 20 oz of shot lead 

however I now use 3oz black powder and 18 oz of steel shot and a plastic shot cup 

there should be some proof marks on your gun to work it out from 

or if you know what the original Eley load was go from that 

please note that it took a while to get the steel shot load working in my gun and sometimes less powder gets a better pattern 

as a footnote for others and I’m sure you are aware 

a punt gun is a obsolete caliber but it is required to be on your license if you wish to use it you also need a explosive license to have the black powder to reload the cartridge 

all the best 

of 

• 1 month later...

OK I have finally had the cartridge heads made! Here are a couple of photos. I don't know what the Eley load was for the 1 1/4"  and would be grateful if anyone could help on that front! i will be loading with lead using Swiss BP so looking a 2oz BP + 10oz shot as a starter.....any comments? Also, any recommendations on supplies of card/wadding/Oakham? 

thanks 

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

D & T give a range of possible loads, more or less based on the 3oz to 16 oz ratio. The table shows variations by weight of gun and their caveat is that it refers "mainly to M.L. guns".

Nitro is possible but most big guns were built for coarse black powder. They are often marked with a service load as above. It burns slowly and progressively and generates low pressures in old barrels.

just slightly on a tangent ....i have been told on several times by vaious gunsmiths that black powder shotgun ammunition (if loaded well) can produce a better pattern than nitro ,,,for the above reasons that pushandpull states in his post.........

anyone agree with that ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...