need advice/ help with scope

snipers eye

hello folks,i bought a new savage 223 12 BTCSS about 6 weeks ago,put a second hand bushnell banner 6-18 x50,(all i could stretch to at the time) got it zeroed well hitting well inside an inch at 100 yards,went off, shot a few rabbits head shots at 150 to yrds, 170 i was well pleased,next day went off again,missed everything,checked zero,was off 2 1/2 ins to left ,head scratch,reset again,put 3 into an inch,went off shot a few more rabbits,all good,next day same thing missed 7 in a row,checked zero,was off by 2/12 inches to the right and inch high, ***,?? and so this has been the norm for the last 4 weeks,having to zero ever shoot,now im using the same 55 grain factory rounds,cleaned after every 50 shots to date,everything is tight,hawke mounts,no wind,prone off a bipod,on the same land,one day it groups well,next day its way off,do you think the scope is jacked,? i think so,i cant think of any other reason,was thinking of getting  a new hawke endurance 6-24x50,any opinions on that scope? i used hawkes before with no problems on a hmr and 22lr.thanks in advance for help/advice

32 minutes ago, snipers eye said:

hello folks,i bought a new savage 223 12 BTCSS about 6 weeks ago,put a second hand bushnell banner 6-18 x50,(all i could stretch to at the time) got it zeroed well hitting well inside an inch at 100 yards,went off, shot a few rabbits head shots at 150 to yrds, 170 i was well pleased,next day went off again,missed everything,checked zero,was off 2 1/2 ins to left ,head scratch,reset again,put 3 into an inch,went off shot a few more rabbits,all good,next day same thing missed 7 in a row,checked zero,was off by 2/12 inches to the right and inch high, ***,?? and so this has been the norm for the last 4 weeks,having to zero ever shoot,now im using the same 55 grain factory rounds,cleaned after every 50 shots to date,everything is tight,hawke mounts,no wind,prone off a bipod,on the same land,one day it groups well,next day its way off,do you think the scope is jacked,? i think so,i cant think of any other reason,was thinking of getting  a new hawke endurance 6-24x50,any opinions on that scope? i used hawkes before with no problems on a hmr and 22lr.thanks in advance for help/advice

Recoil on a .223 isn't that harsh, especially if you have a moderator fitted. Hawke scope's are superb and the Endurance range are up there at the top.

the one reason that could cause your issue is if your barrel is not fully floated or there is enough give in the forend of the stock to cause barrel touching when putting down on the bipod, worth checking with a fag paper.

So this is where you find out how good Bushnell are as a company. Contact them and ask their advice. Hopefully, if they value their reputation and can see that a happy customer is worth far more in sales than an unhappy one (Hawke get this hence their excellent service) they will ask for the scope back, check it and replace it or offer a good deal on a new one.

I had an issue with an MTC and they flat refused to help at all which I never fail to repeat whenever I get the chance.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Is it classified as shockproof 

this is all the info i can find on it .....

•  i have been selling this scope for approximately 25 years.  The box has changed over the years but the scope hasn't.  It has proven ideal for everything from small calibre .22 guns where a quality, bright scope is required right up to larger calibres for deer stalking."
  • 6-18x50 - variable magnification from 6 times up to 18 times with 50mm wide front objective lens.
  • 1 piece tube construction.
  • Multi-coated lenses for better light transmission.
  • Waterproof & fog-proof.
  • 1/4" tool less fingertip adjustments on windage and elevation turrets.
  • Fast focus eye piece.
  • Multi-X crosshair
  • High quality made in Korea..........says nothing about shock proof
Edited by snipers eye
name edit

7 minutes ago, 243deer said:

the one reason that could cause your issue is if your barrel is not fully floated or there is enough give in the forend of the stock to cause barrel touching when putting down on the bipod, worth checking with a fag paper.

So this is where you find out how good Bushnell are as a company. Contact them and ask their advice. Hopefully, if they value their reputation and can see that a happy customer is worth far more in sales than an unhappy one (Hawke get this hence their excellent service) they will ask for the scope back, check it and replace it or offer a good deal on a new one.

I had an issue with an MTC and they flat refused to help at all which I never fail to repeat whenever I get the chance.  hi yes the free float was checked also,no issues,as for contacting bushnell,i dont think ill bother,ill just get a new scope,hawke most likely.as i did not pay a fortune for the banner,150

12 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Snipers eye, maybe someone could have a look at your set up and see if there's anything obvious causing the problem. I see your location is not really helpful, i would have had a look but your too far away. 

thanks lad for the offer,im not really new to the shootimg game,and i did have a 223 a few years ago with no issues, (hawke scope,sidewinder)ive also owned hmr,22lr,and ive set them up myself,so i have a fair idea how things go,ive double checked everything i can think of,only thing i can come up with is,although there is hardly any recoil from the 223,just a little,i think its knocking off the zero,which leads me to believe the scope is fked,(you know the word) other than that im stumped

49 minutes ago, snipers eye said:

this is all the info i can find on it .....

• Kevin says: "OpenSeason has been selling this scope for approximately 25 years.  The box has changed over the years but the scope hasn't.  It has proven ideal for everything from small calibre .22 guns where a quality, bright scope is required right up to larger calibres for deer stalking."
  • 6-18x50 - variable magnification from 6 times up to 18 times with 50mm wide front objective lens.
  • 1 piece tube construction.
  • Multi-coated lenses for better light transmission.
  • Waterproof & fog-proof.
  • 1/4" tool less fingertip adjustments on windage and elevation turrets.
  • Fast focus eye piece.
  • Multi-X crosshair
  • High quality made in Korea..........says nothing about shock proof

Hello, I looked on the Bushnell web site

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there is no specification as to your scope being shockproof, so that maybe the reason it is not holding zero,

hi,yes you maybe right,i was reading a bit about it also,ill just get the hawke endurance 6-24x50,it has the 223/308 reticle,and see how it goes,thanks to you all for help.i will certainly post results in time,might help others with same issues

11 minutes ago, snipers eye said:

hi,yes you maybe right,i was reading a bit about it also,ill just get the hawke endurance 6-24x50,it has the 223/308 reticle,and see how it goes,thanks to you all for help.i will certainly post results in time,might help others with same issues

Hello, you will not go wrong with Hawke, life time warranty, and good customer service, just bought a 3x9x40 Fastmount to go on a XS 79 177 that a changed to HPA , all from pellpax as you get discount with AGF members

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

It could be the scope .the obvious way to check is try a different scope and see if it holds zero .

But it sounds a bit like the fault (zero shift ) occurs after it's been put away for the day .is the gun or barrel  leaning badly on something in the cabinet. Or the mod is cooling and shifting perhaps. Maybe its being knocked in your gun bag in transit ? . My thoughts are a loose barrel  this is where I would look first.

i use a £20 note to see if barrel is floating also try with mod off the rifle just in case you say bought a second hand scope did it come with the rifle or bought separately most of the shops i know wont bye a second hand scope for this very reason there is no way of telling if the scope is good or not  

8 hours ago, jall25 said:

Check your moderator is tight - seen it so many times when that blows them off course 

hi thanks,yes mod is well tight on

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

It could be the scope .the obvious way to check is try a different scope and see if it holds zero .

But it sounds a bit like the fault (zero shift ) occurs after it's been put away for the day .is the gun or barrel  leaning badly on something in the cabinet. Or the mod is cooling and shifting perhaps. Maybe its being knocked in your gun bag in transit ? . My thoughts are a loose barrel  this is where I would look first.

hi yes im thinking scope as well,im as careful as i can be when handling the gun,never gets banged/knocked,gun safe is well padded also,seems its off every time i go out after zeroing the day before.barrel is also tight,and free floating,

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

i use a £20 note to see if barrel is floating also try with mod off the rifle just in case you say bought a second hand scope did it come with the rifle or bought separately most of the shops i know wont bye a second hand scope for this very reason there is no way of telling if the scope is good or not  

hi yes free floating is well checked,yse i bought the scope separately, secomd hand off a site,maybe it was off loaded for that reason,and some smuck bought it 🙂

2 minutes ago, snipers eye said:

hi yes free floating is well checked,yse i bought the scope separately, secomd hand off a site,maybe it was off loaded for that reason,and some smuck bought it 🙂

Have you another rifle to try the scope on ?

Just now, jall25 said:

Much more likely mounts or something 

34 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Much more likely mounts or something 

hi,no i dont have another rifle,the mounts are from hawke,low,they have 3 alan screws on each side top,6 in all,so very tight and sturdy,and i did use similar mounts in the past with no issues.im just gonna go for another scope,a hawke,6-24x50 endurance,ive got some work on,so that will pay for it,as the saying goes...buy once,cry once...i know there are better ones out there,but all i can afford at this time