Cows....

nabbers

Seems to me to be a recent phenomenon but nowadays every time I walk through a field on a footpath with cows/bullocks in it, my adrenalin kicks in as they come racing over and display aggressive behaviour.   I must have been half asleep on our morning walk at 5.30 am as I was mobbed by a her I hadn't noticed and my 6 month Lab bitch pup ran back the way we came and sat watching whilst they got within a few feet of her whilst simultaneously crowding me as I went back to her.     I waved the lead around and made manly shouts then circumvented the field with a footpath, only to find myself in a field with a cow and her calves who seemed less interested.     Whats the best way to deal with cows when you have a dog with you?    Make it sit outside the field, proceed alone and then callout to you when you have reached the far side?    My pup will sit and wait no problem, but she wasn't brave enough to come to me this morning.    Apple Watch shows my heart rate through the roof lol

OK, do I do the route first alone to check that there aren't cattle behind the group of trees or over that brow where yesterday there were none or send a drone ahead and check?    I was half way across a 1/4 mile field on a well trodden footpath between my house and a place I'm moving out before the cattle came out of the mists. 

I'm surrounded by hills and fields here, sounds like I better drive into town and walk her among the dog **** in the park?    What a sad time to be countryman! 

I've walked black labs for 40 years through fields of cattle and only had issues, for the last ten which makes me muse on whether it's because they are reared indoors more or breeds have changed here........ Maybe a I show more fear these days and they sense that.....

As an 10 year old I remember cattle crowding our red setter when walking in Derbyshire. She shot across the field and was through the bars of the gate well before we got there. They ignored us. That was 57 years ago. Cows always seem fascinated by dogs, so I don't take them in fields with cattle in.

19 minutes ago, nabbers said:

OK, do I do the route first alone to check that there aren't cattle behind the group of trees or over that brow where yesterday there were none or send a drone ahead and check?    I was half way across a 1/4 mile field on a well trodden footpath between my house and a place I'm moving out before the cattle came out of the mists. 

Go back the way you came.

One of my regular walks involves a bit of public footpath where there are cows with young, seemingly there one day, gone the next.  Too much of a risk with dogs on the lead.  Only about a 200m backtrack in my case to path that avoids the field.

I'll bet your blood pressure wasn't as high as mine when i read this 

4 hours ago, nabbers said:

Seems to me to be a recent phenomenon but nowadays every time I walk through a field on a footpath with cows/bullocks in it, my adrenalin kicks in as they come racing over and display aggressive behaviour.   I must have been half asleep on our morning walk at 5.30 am as I was mobbed by a her I hadn't noticed and my 6 month Lab bitch pup ran back the way we came and sat watching whilst they got within a few feet of her whilst simultaneously crowding me as I went back to her.     I waved the lead around and made manly shouts then circumvented the field with a footpath, only to find myself in a field with a cow and her calves who seemed less interested.     Whats the best way to deal with cows when you have a dog with you?    Make it sit outside the field, proceed alone and then callout to you when you have reached the far side?    My pup will sit and wait no problem, but she wasn't brave enough to come to me this morning.    Apple Watch shows my heart rate through the roof lol

3 hours ago, nabbers said:

I've walked black labs for 40 years through fields of cattle and only had issues, for the last ten which makes me muse on whether it's because they are reared indoors more or breeds have changed here...

I don’t have a dog but don’t go into a field with cows in anyway.I would be too tempted to 🏃🏽‍♂️

and that would be the wrong thing to do for at least a couple of reasons.😀

Edited by Good shot?

4 hours ago, 8 shot said:

I'll bet your blood pressure wasn't as high as mine when i read this 

This might finish you off then....advice from the ramblers association 

"

The countryside is an inspiring place to walk but it can also be little daunting when cows and bulls are grazing near your path.

But the countryside is working environment and it's important to be mindful and respectful of farms and farm animals, particularly during spring when cattle are rearing their young. 

Here’s some advice from our experts on what do when walking near cattle:

Do

• Stop, look and listen on entering a field. Look out for any animals and watch how they are behaving, particularly bulls or cows with calves
  • Try to avoid getting between cows and their calves 
  • Be prepared for cattle to react to your presence, especially if you have a dog with you 
  • Move quickly and quietly, and if possible walk around the herd 
  • Keep your dog close, on a short lead, and under effective control
  • Remember to close gates behind you when walking through fields containing livestock 
  • Report any frightening incidents or attacks to the landowner, the highway authority, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), and also the police if it's of a serious nature 
  • Keep us informed of any problems you experience 

Don’t

• Don’t hang onto your dog if you are threatened by cattle - let it go as the cattle will chase the dog and not you 
  • Don’t put yourself at risk by walking close to cattle 
  • Don’t panic or run – most cattle will stop before they reach you; if they follow just walk on quietly 

Cattle on your path

So what do you do when cattle are obstructing the path? Find another way, by going around the cattle. If cattle are blocking a path through a field, you’re well within your rights to find a safe way, away from the path to avoid them. You should then re-join the footpath as soon as possible – and when you consider it safe to do so. 
Find out more about walking near livestock by reading the Countryside Code and Scottish Outdoor Access Code."

I would not even entertain taking my dog through a field with Cows & calf, they are unpredictable at the best of times! I regularly cover a Farm when they owner goes away, his heard is a pretty calm at most...but get excited at the silliest of things especially dogs! 

Well if you were to find yourself in The Yorkshire Dales and wanted to get from A to B sticking to ancient footpaths you would find that you do not always know when you have entered a field with cattle in it until you round a corner or thicket and see them stood a few yards from you.   Such is the nature of the terrain.   That was the situation I found myself before the original post  in and have found myself in at various times before.   The "I wouldn't enter a field with cattle in it" replies might work in the flat counties but don't take the discussion forwards in terms of what to do for you and your dog when you find yourself in that situation.    A lass was killed near here a couple of years ago and there were plenty of "Darwin Award" posts on the farmers Facebook groups.    Maybe a sign would have saved her life?,  If farmers want to stop anyone from using footpaths on their land, is putting cattle on it all they need to do?    In the Highlands there are cattle with big horns wandering around the unfenced roads and villages presumably without any issues.   

3 minutes ago, nabbers said:

Well if you were to find yourself in The Yorkshire Dales and wanted to get from A to B sticking to ancient footpaths you would find that you do not always know when you have entered a field with cattle in it until you round a corner or thicket and see them stood a few yards from you.   Such is the nature of the terrain.   That was the situation I found myself before the original post  in and have found myself in at various times before.   The "I wouldn't enter a field with cattle in it" replies might work in the flat counties but don't take the discussion forwards in terms of what to do for you and your dog when you find yourself in that situation.    A lass was killed near here a couple of years ago and there were plenty of "Darwin Award" posts on the farmers Facebook groups.    Maybe a sign would have saved her life?,  If farmers want to stop anyone from using footpaths on their land, is putting cattle on it all they need to do?    In the Highlands there are cattle with big horns wandering around the unfenced roads and villages presumably without any issues.   

A very long way of saying "I asked a question and didn't like the answers I got".  You are in the farmer's field, it's a workplace.  The cattle take priority over you.  Turn around and go back the way you came.

Does that move the conversation forward?

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

A very long way of saying "I asked a question and didn't like the answers I got".  You are in the farmer's field, it's a workplace.  The cattle take priority over you.  Turn around and go back the way you came.

Does that move the conversation forward?

He could always send a scout ahead to survey the situation 🤔😃

TBH, if you could 'stumble' across cattle on a lot of your choice of fields for your walks, surely you should be expecting it rather than it being a surprise ? 🤷