Human antibiotics used in chicken from Poland.

Dave-G

I saw on ITV news a topic about potential bugs crossing from chickens to humans and wonder how dangerous some bird flu's are becoming now antibiotic resistance is becoming much more of a risk to us. I'm now doing some Googling about this subject and it seems documented enough to not be a conspiracy theory.

Of particular concern to me is the use of some 'floxacin' A/B's which are my rescue meds for when I get breathing flareups. Thoughts will be appreciated chaps.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-06-20/uk-supermarkets-sell-antibiotic-dosed-chickens-linked-to-deadly-superbug

When I was in France I saw a programme about prawn growing in Vietnam. I don't eat farmed prawns now. basically they were being "grown" in eight foot by six foot by four foot concrete open top tanks of liquified human excrement. Now not all such are so farmed. But they are permanently off the menu for me.

Edited by enfieldspares

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

When I was in France I saw a programme about prawn growing in Vietnam. I don't eat farmed prawns now. basically they were being "grown" in eight foot by six foot by four foot concrete open top tanks of liquified human excrement. Now not all such are so farmed. But they are permanently off the menu for me.

Same as Basa. Farmed in heavily polluted rivers in the far east that also serve as the main sewer for the communities along its bank

One very important point to remember;

Influenza, Covid, SARS, MERS are all viruses.  They don't respond to or get treated with antibiotics.

Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections.

It is a very important distinction as bacteria and virus are both organisms that cause illness in other living species - human, avian, animal (and in some cases plant) and fish - but are quite different and have different treatments.

30 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, our treated poo is so much nicer and besides, as far as is possible, we bypass the rivers and chuck it straight into the sea.

I buy a fair bit of my food from local farmers, I can see the chickens my eggs come from and I buy seasonal vegetables from some farmers I personally know. While that's not possible for most, the closer you buy to home, the better in my opinion.

There is a small farm about a mile from me. The farmer used to keep a dairy herd but gave that up when it became unprofitable so now he just buys calfs and fattens them up for slaughter.

He also buys old horses which eventually go for slaughter when he has collected a few but he has to keep them for a period of time antibiotic free and that has to be signed off by a vet. The food regs are quite strict about antibiotics even for pet food

i believe at one time ..in america in the beef pens/ranches the food the beef animals got..... contained Arsenic which is a growth premoter which boosted the conversion to weight ratio..............

if this is continuing this would explain one of the reasons why we dont import american beef products........

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

i believe at one time ..in america in the beef pens/ranches the food the beef animals got..... contained Arsenic which is a growth premoter which boosted the conversion to weight ratio..............

if this is continuing this would explain one of the reasons why we dont import american beef products........

American beef is not allowed into the EU.  I don't know how we stand on that now we have left 

In America they give cattle hormones to make them put on weight. Chicken too I believe