Teal decoy probably decoration.

holloway

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, greenshank1 said:

Fantastic 

That’s inspirational. 
I really fancy making a few decoys and trying them on the shore. 

Just do it any old scrap wood for the body something a little finer for the head ,if it doesn’t look right start again .

Nice to see a vintage spokeshave still being used.

My father was a miner and worked in numerous private mines which were located in our valley, and he would make a new leg for the Whitehouse hatchet that he used for notching the timber underground, as you couldn’t buy a new leg to fit the slim head of the hatchets.

He had a selection of hatchets , as he was always being given the old hatchet heads by people who couldn’t buy the new legs.

All his hatchets were razor sharp, and his way of checking if they were sharp enough, was to dry shave his arm with the hatchet.

He always had seasoned Ash boards in the rafters of the shed, and was always being asked to make new hatchet legs by the other miners he worked with.

He would always use Ash for the leg, and would use a draw knife and then refine the leg using a spokeshave very similar to the one in the 1st photo.

I recall he had 4 or 5 of different sizes and a few were very old and always razor sharp.

I purchased an old vintage War Dept. spokeshave from a car boot sale around 5 years ago in Aberystwyth for £3.

The spokeshave is stamped 1944 and was  by John Wilson of Sheffield and I regularly use it, and it has very good blade and holds a good edge.

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg