Any tried

18 hours ago, Fargo said:

Any of the new 16gram Express bio wad 8.5’s steel?

How do you find your scores are with them, if you have tried them?

16g 12 bore I assume? I bet they are a pleasure to shoot, even if not a pleasure for the scorecard? (if you're on it, you're on it etc)

On 04/07/2023 at 08:18, HantsRob said:

How do you find your scores are with them, if you have tried them?

16g 12 bore I assume? I bet they are a pleasure to shoot, even if not a pleasure for the scorecard? (if you're on it, you're on it etc)

Haven’t had time to wizz to salisbury yet and pick any up ( if they have any).

Cant see the appeal unless you have to use steel or are much cheaper than 21g lead fibres.

Given that steel is roughly a 1/4 less dense than lead they probably have a similar pellet count to the lead 21g alternative.

I'd be interested in giving them a go if the price was right but as they have a biodegradable wad and are a new product then I'm guessing that they will be a lot more costly than a standard 21g lead fibre cartridge.

On 05/07/2023 at 15:36, Poor Shot said:

Given that steel is roughly a 1/4 less dense than lead they probably have a similar pellet count to the lead 21g alternative.

I'd be interested in giving them a go if the price was right but as they have a biodegradable wad and are a new product then I'm guessing that they will be a lot more costly than a standard 21g lead fibre cartridge.

I'd say 21 gram is low enough for 12g.. 16 May aswell drop to a 28guage or 410

14 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I'd say 21 gram is low enough for 12g.. 16 May aswell drop to a 28guage or 410

You'd have roughly, if not a little more shot in the 16 gram steel cartridge as you would in the 21 gram lead cartridge. 

I've not seen anything advertised on this on LE's website so perhaps they are a special produced only for Orston shooting ground? 

I can see 24g or 28g of 6 or 7 steel shot with a composable plastic wad becoming the norm for clay shooting over the next few years, even if target shooting is given an exception from the lead shot ban. Having used a 28g 7 steel clay cartridge in the past I'd say that it wouldn't be too much of an issue either, apart from the eyewatering prices that they will be. They still broke targets, even 50 yard battues and side on crossing targets. 

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

You'd have roughly, if not a little more shot in the 16 gram steel cartridge as you would in the 21 gram lead cartridge. 

I've not seen anything advertised on this on LE's website so perhaps they are a special produced only for Orston shooting ground? 

I can see 24g or 28g of 6 or 7 steel shot with a composable plastic wad becoming the norm for clay shooting over the next few years, even if target shooting is given an exception from the lead shot ban. Having used a 28g 7 steel clay cartridge in the past I'd say that it wouldn't be too much of an issue either, apart from the eyewatering prices that they will be. They still broke targets, even 50 yard battues and side on crossing targets. 

LE website is terrible and if you have Instagram they did something about it last week. No idea of price but like you I’d happily use a 24g 7 steel for clays but with bio wads that don’t take 3 years or more to degrade . 

2 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

you have hull cartridges recommending only using cartridge case lengths that match your chamber length in steel shot to help eliminate the risk of damaging your barrel/s yet these LE are in a 65mm case, so no thanks i will give them a miss.

If it's in a biowad or plastic wad, how is it going to damage your barrels?

also if that were the case hull really need to stop selling compX as they'll damage most assuming they even get to 65mm as they're super diddy. 

11 hours ago, HantsRob said:

If it's in a biowad or plastic wad, how is it going to damage your barrels?

also if that were the case hull really need to stop selling compX as they'll damage most assuming they even get to 65mm as they're super diddy. 

Watch and listen to what they say. listen from 21:12 possibly open to interpretation.

https://chuckhawks.com/steel_shot_barrel_damage.htm

Edited by rbrowning2

16 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

you have hull cartridges recommending only using cartridge case lengths that match your chamber length in steel shot to help eliminate the risk of damaging your barrel/s yet these LE are in a 65mm case, so no thanks i will give them a miss.

Apart from a couple of foreign things, every gun I have ever owned has had 65mm/ two and a half inch chambers.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Only in a couple of Spaniards I own. 
But why would I want to?

+1. And the folly is that manufacturers were making and folk are buying 2 3/4" chambered guns more suited in weight and construction to 1 1/4 ounce "duck" loadings to shoot 1 ounce loads through on clay pigeons. 

On 12/07/2023 at 14:06, London Best said:

Only in a couple of Spaniards I own. 
But why would I want to?

You may be game birds only. But, Hull's range of sporting 100, pro one comp etc are 70mm, which equates to 2 3/4".

I guess if all your guns are 2 1/2" then of course you wouldn't want to. 
Is it fairly reasonable to assume newer guns in the last decade are all 2 3/4"?

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

You may be game birds only. But, Hull's range of sporting 100, pro one comp etc are 70mm, which equates to 2 3/4".

I guess if all your guns are 2 1/2" then of course you wouldn't want to. 
Is it fairly reasonable to assume newer guns in the last decade are all 2 3/4"?

I don’t have any guns from the last decade. My two newest shotguns are a Spanish BLE bought new in 1975 and a Spanish SLE made in 1961. They are both 70mm (2 3/4) chambers, but are invariably used with 65mm (2 1/2) cartridges.