United Utilities banning Grouse Shooting on their vast swathes of land

2nd time United utilities have annoyed me the week. They came out to fix the water pipe outside my house on the footpath, spray painted the ground where the leak is, then dug up next to the leak used a compactor to push it down and made it worse. Called the and they say it can be difficult to locate, not relevant I know.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, jall25 said:

You seem a very bright chap

Im sure you do know

Write to your councillor / MP

Write to the CEO / Chair of the organisations

Post on their facebook / insta sites

Writing to any of the above won’t make one iota of difference because it’s not about grouse; it’s about money and politics, and grouse shooting comes a long way behind either. 
Your ( and my ) time would be better spent supporting all those grouse moors currently still being run as grouse moors, as you have been doing. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Writing to any of the above won’t make one iota of difference because it’s not about grouse; it’s about money and politics, and grouse shooting comes a long way behind either. 
Your ( and my ) time would be better spent supporting all those grouse moors currently still being run as grouse moors, as you have been doing. 

We can do that in the day Scully

To send a letter or email takes 5 minutes - Thats all 

And yes me and you - no response - but imagine 100 or 1000 

Men move mountains 

9 hours ago, jall25 said:

We can do that in the day Scully

To send a letter or email takes 5 minutes - Thats all 

And yes me and you - no response - but imagine 100 or 1000 

Men move mountains 

An email saying what? 
Some causes are worth pursuing, and some aren’t; given that the vast vast majority of grouse moors are still in the ownership of shootings interests I would suggest this one isn’t. 
But I commend your spirit. Let us know how you get on. 

BASC is challenging this and more updates to come on that.

Click here for a press release

Click here for a blog post

Drawing on the content in the webpages linked above people can send an email of complaint to the chief executive of United Utilities, Louise Beardmore, directly using this email address: Louise.Beardmore@uuplc.co.uk

Or click here to submit a complaint via United Utilities website

Is this as much to do with anti-shooting sentiment within United Utilities as it is to do with the fact that a lot of money can made on re-wilding schemes, carbon credits etc? As is happening with most of rural Scotland at the moment? If its the later then any challenges will do little as shareholders will always prioritise this over the relative pittance they must get from sporting leases. 

14 hours ago, Scully said:

Indeed.

Probably adding a few points to the 'Environmental' section of their ESG score.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

An email saying what? 
Some causes are worth pursuing, and some aren’t; given that the vast vast majority of grouse moors are still in the ownership of shootings interests I would suggest this one isn’t. 
But I commend your spirit. Let us know how you get on. 

I wont be alone Scully 

All my shoot and circle are putting pen to paper - BASC and CA all over it 

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

Saying what? 

Highlighting the potential loss of biodiversity with the loss of gamekeepers and shoot helpers

The loss of expertise in fire management and associated equipment

The loss of jobs and ways of life for many

The fact that no science has been followed and an "agenda" has 

The impact on the local rural economy

4 hours ago, jall25 said:

Highlighting the potential loss of biodiversity with the loss of gamekeepers and shoot helpers

The loss of expertise in fire management and associated equipment

The loss of jobs and ways of life for many

The fact that no science has been followed and an "agenda" has 

The impact on the local rural economy

They’re aware of all you’ve listed already, and still decided to ban shooting on their land. Why? Because they don’t care. 
Like you rightly say, they are following an agenda, one which means increased revenue for them and their stakeholders.
They don’t care, but like I said, let us know how you get on. 
Out of over 500,000 acres consisting of grouse moors, UU own 140,850. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

They’re aware of all you’ve listed already, and still decided to ban shooting on their land. Why? Because they don’t care. 
Like you rightly say, they are following an agenda, one which means increased revenue for them and their stakeholders.
They don’t care, but like I said, let us know how you get on. 
Out of over 500,000 acres consisting of grouse moors, UU own 140,850. 

Just think about it though Scully - in the time we have been discussing - you could have fired in an email 

By the time people have read this thread an email to both UU and the Labour lady Kerry Mccarthy who tweeted her support of their position.

Just a thought

regards

10 hours ago, jall25 said:

Just think about it though Scully - in the time we have been discussing - you could have fired in an email 

By the time people have read this thread an email to both UU and the Labour lady Kerry Mccarthy who tweeted her support of their position.

Just a thought

regards

Yes I could, but again, saying what? Wasting time telling them something they already know of and couldn’t care less about? I’ve got better things to do, but if you haven’t then you crack on and let us know how you get on. 👍

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Yes I could, but again, saying what? Wasting time telling them something they already know of and couldn’t care less about? I’ve got better things to do, but if you haven’t then you crack on and let us know how you get on. 👍

The countryside alliance will send one on your behalf. All they need is your name, address and permission to do so. Takes seconds. 

Likely ******* into the wind for the reasons we've all highlighted in this thread but what's a few seconds while your taking a **** or eating lunch staring at your smartphone? 

Firstly, I'm all for conservation and protecting peoples rights and what not.

But.... am I the only one thinking if it's their land, I am not sure what anyone can do to change this if they've given notice to stop shooting on their land? I am not sure how much sway anyone will have to legally enforce a change, when they own from what I understand is only a small piece of land?

10 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Firstly, I'm all for conservation and protecting peoples rights and what not.

But.... am I the only one thinking if it's their land, I am not sure what anyone can do to change this if they've given notice to stop shooting on their land? I am not sure how much sway anyone will have to legally enforce a change, when they own from what I understand is only a small piece of land?

Precisely. Our time is better spent on things we have a genuine chance of influencing. 
By all means make your feelings known, but thinking it will make a difference is simply being naive.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Me too Scully - unusually you have bored me to submission 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Will do, but you first eh? 👍

Now now children, you both have your opinions and clearly won't agree so let's leave it there and not go down the silly route, scully only quoting you as last to comment 😊

I actually see both your points as valid, yes we should stand up for shooting and lobby. But at the same time this does not seem to fit an anti agenda, it is a political and money driven decision. Shoot rent will not make as much money as re wilding or offsetting carbon. And unfortunately that is as simple as it is with this one. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Now now children, you both have your opinions and clearly won't agree so let's leave it there and not go down the silly route, scully only quoting you as last to comment 😊

I actually see both your points as valid, yes we should stand up for shooting and lobby. But at the same time this does not seem to fit an anti agenda, it is a political and money driven decision. Shoot rent will not make as much money as re wilding or offsetting carbon. And unfortunately that is as simple as it is with this one. 

He started it! 😂

A reply from United Utilities to the auto generated email sent via the Countryside Alliance. It's written confirmation of what many knew already 'we aren't interested in shooting leases anymore, planting trees and selling carbon credits is more profitable'. 

There really is a skill to writing so many words that mean so little. 

Thank you for contacting us to raise your concerns about the United Utilities’ updated land strategy. Building on decades of successful habitat restoration, we recently reviewed the way we manage our land to ensure we are fully focused on using our catchments to manage water quality, quantity and mitigate flooding, which are of strategic importance to us as we respond to the challenges of climate change.

Addressing these challenges requires a step change in our approach to help ensure a fully resilient ecosystem in which wet moorlands and biodiverse woodlands can improve catchment resilience by slowing the flow of water and improving water quality and retention – this is the primary reason we own this catchment land.

Following that review and to ensure we can focus on those areas, we will not be renewing shooting leases where we own the rights. This follows a decision made some time ago not to issue any such leases on a long-term basis. Stepping away from leasing our shooting rights, as those leases come to their natural expiry date over the next few years, provides an opportunity to work with stakeholders to change the land management approach and support the delivery of this long-term objective for increased catchment resilience.

We remain committed to working with others, to accelerate the restoration and rewetting of our peatlands and the biodiversity of our woodlands. We believe this will help unlock other opportunities to deliver a richer and more diverse approach to habitat management, conserving and improving biodiversity, including protected species, while also developing skills and jobs. We see this as an extension of our catchment management work which has been so successful in other parts of our region.

Our updated land strategy affects 24 licences where we have shooting rights within specific catchments. We are working through this transition with those who are affected by this change as the leases come to their natural end and we remain committed to working with others to help address climate change risks such as wildfires and droughts whilst improving biodiversity. Many current land management techniques will continue and these will form part of new plans, developed and delivered with stakeholders and partners, providing new jobs and economic benefits for those who work in our catchment communities.

11 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

A reply from United Utilities to the auto generated email sent via the Countryside Alliance. It's written confirmation of what many knew already 'we aren't interested in shooting leases anymore, planting trees and selling carbon credits is more profitable'. 

There really is a skill to writing so many words that mean so little. 

Thank you for contacting us to raise your concerns about the United Utilities’ updated land strategy. Building on decades of successful habitat restoration, we recently reviewed the way we manage our land to ensure we are fully focused on using our catchments to manage water quality, quantity and mitigate flooding, which are of strategic importance to us as we respond to the challenges of climate change.

Addressing these challenges requires a step change in our approach to help ensure a fully resilient ecosystem in which wet moorlands and biodiverse woodlands can improve catchment resilience by slowing the flow of water and improving water quality and retention – this is the primary reason we own this catchment land.

Following that review and to ensure we can focus on those areas, we will not be renewing shooting leases where we own the rights. This follows a decision made some time ago not to issue any such leases on a long-term basis. Stepping away from leasing our shooting rights, as those leases come to their natural expiry date over the next few years, provides an opportunity to work with stakeholders to change the land management approach and support the delivery of this long-term objective for increased catchment resilience.

We remain committed to working with others, to accelerate the restoration and rewetting of our peatlands and the biodiversity of our woodlands. We believe this will help unlock other opportunities to deliver a richer and more diverse approach to habitat management, conserving and improving biodiversity, including protected species, while also developing skills and jobs. We see this as an extension of our catchment management work which has been so successful in other parts of our region.

Our updated land strategy affects 24 licences where we have shooting rights within specific catchments. We are working through this transition with those who are affected by this change as the leases come to their natural end and we remain committed to working with others to help address climate change risks such as wildfires and droughts whilst improving biodiversity. Many current land management techniques will continue and these will form part of new plans, developed and delivered with stakeholders and partners, providing new jobs and economic benefits for those who work in our catchment communities.

Just had the same Pot shot - So sent another to Louise - copying in my MPs - and one or two others asking if this was just a computer generated response and i was still to expect a formal response from her. I suggest doing the same ?

Just now, jall25 said:

Just had the same Poor shot - So sent another to Louise - copying in my MPs - and one or two others asking if this was just a computer generated response and i was still to expect a formal response from her. I suggest doing the same ?