United Utilities banning Grouse Shooting on their vast swathes of land

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

I have had our local MP here today on our shoot

I showed him the pen - the poults - the hedges we have planted and laid - the coppice we have cut - the ponds we have dug.

I showed him our supplementary feeding and our meadows 

I told him the truth - if it was not for shooting this 270 acre gem of habitat would not be here

I demonstrated the use of a Larsen, ladder and fox trap.

We discussed predator control - the increase - certainly with us - in badger and buzzard numbers 

Whilst not a fully fledged member of our shoot - this gentleman at least has first hand knowledge of the work that shoots do and has seen first hand the welfare standards of our birds - and our decoy birds - and the mass of biodiversity on our land.

A thoroughly enjoyable and i believe useful couple of hours 

According to a google map I’ve just googled regarding Englands grouse moor owners, there are 82 estates mapped, consisting of over 500,000 acres

Only 4 out of the 82 ( as far as I can see, and I haven’t studied it minutely ) estates are not in private ownership. UUT have two, Bradford Council have one, the NT own one and I can’t recall now who owns the fourth. 
I was surprised to see the Lowthers still have a grouse moor and also the Blackett-Ords. Owner of our BIG shoot is listed there also. 

Pretty obvious to me there going to use the moors as a safe place for the effluent that they normally pump into rivers and the sea 

saving shareholders a fortune in fines adding to their bonuses 

just wondering what subsidies and payments they will get from the government for rewilding tree planting ect 

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

According to a google map I’ve just googled regarding Englands grouse moor owners, there are 82 estates mapped, consisting of over 500,000 acres

Only 4 out of the 82 ( as far as I can see, and I haven’t studied it minutely ) estates are not in private ownership. UUT have two, Bradford Council have one, the NT own one and I can’t recall now who owns the fourth. 
I was surprised to see the Lowthers still have a grouse moor and also the Blackett-Ords. Owner of our BIG shoot is listed there also. 

8 UU Moors listed in the article link.  

3 minutes ago, jall25 said:

And i think you list 5 Scully ?

And i think yorkshire water own one or more ?

15 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

8 UU Moors listed in the article link.  

Fair enough. Like I said, I didn’t study it minutely. 
The point I’m trying to make is that the vast majority are still in the hands of those with an interest in shooting at heart. 
I don’t think there’s any need to panic just yet. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

The point I’m trying to make is that the vast majority are still in the hands of those with an interest in shooting at heart. 

I know the Keeper on the Stocks Reservoir shoot, that will be going too I guess? 

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

Unless you happen to enjoy your sport on a United Utilities moor?

In which case you’ll have to choose another supposedly. Not a lot else anyone could do. 

25 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I know the Keeper on the Stocks Reservoir shoot, that will be going too I guess? 

I wouldn’t know. I know three actual owners much to my surprise, but only one keeper. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

But its not just them Scully 

It the national trust too etc etc 

We must start pushing back

As i say - if we all on here - or even 10 percent on here emailed UU s chairman - maybe just maybe eyes and ears will start opening.

Nothing full on - but just the facts 

9 hours ago, jall25 said:

But its not just them Scully 

It the national trust too etc etc 

We must start pushing back

As i say - if we all on here - or even 10 percent on here emailed UU s chairman - maybe just maybe eyes and ears will start opening.

Nothing full on - but just the facts 

I don’t know how we are expected to ‘push back’, but like I said, it appears that the vast majority of grouse shooting land is still in the hands of those with an interest in shooting grouse. 
Have a look for yourself and you’ll see that. 

15 hours ago, jall25 said:

Guys

I have had our local MP here today on our shoot

I showed him the pen - the poults - the hedges we have planted and laid - the coppice we have cut - the ponds we have dug.

I showed him our supplementary feeding and our meadows 

I told him the truth - if it was not for shooting this 270 acre gem of habitat would not be here

I demonstrated the use of a Larsen, ladder and fox trap.

We discussed predator control - the increase - certainly with us - in badger and buzzard numbers 

Whilst not a fully fledged member of our shoot - this gentleman at least has first hand knowledge of the work that shoots do and has seen first hand the welfare standards of our birds - and our decoy birds - and the mass of biodiversity on our land.

A thoroughly enjoyable and i believe useful couple of hours 

Well done - great work!

I invited my MP to a local grouse moor (a really good example) and he didn’t even reply….?!

7 hours ago, Scully said:

I don’t know how we are expected to ‘push back’, but like I said, it appears that the vast majority of grouse shooting land is still in the hands of those with an interest in shooting grouse. 
Have a look for yourself and you’ll see that. 

You seem a very bright chap

Im sure you do know

Write to your councillor / MP

Write to the CEO / Chair of the organisations

Post on their facebook / insta sites