Summer is OVER - it's OFFICIAL

TIGHTCHOKE

23 hours ago, ditchman said:

i bet the potatoe harvest is a gooden ....also good profit as not alot of epensive irrigating....also the sugarbeet harvest will be heavy i rekon.........ying and yang

I dug a bed up on Friday because they were starting with blight !

Edited by derbyduck

26 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

tomatoes also showing blight on leaves  ,worst year ever for me poor germination with every thing apart from the weeds !

Not clued up on tomatoes and all mine are grown outside , I know the weather have been cold , wet and very changable , but now the tomatoes are changing colour the tomatoes look lovely at first glance but the underneath are going rotton and some of them are cracking , do you know why DD ?      THANKS

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Simply, MOISTURE!

More ventilation required.

You are right about moisture T C , no doubt they have have been getting to much rather than not enough , ( unlike my sex life over the years :lol: ) as for ventilation , all my tomatoes are grown outside , so well ventilated :good:

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You are right about moisture T C , no doubt they have have been getting to much rather than not enough , ( unlike my sex life over the years :lol: ) as for ventilation , all my tomatoes are grown outside , so well ventilated :good:

And do you remove the leaves late in the season to increase the airflow?

28 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Not clued up on tomatoes and all mine are grown outside , I know the weather have been cold , wet and very changable , but now the tomatoes are changing colour the tomatoes look lovely at first glance but the underneath are going rotton and some of them are cracking , do you know why DD ?      THANKS

most of mine are outside, it sounds like blossom end rot , usually caused by irregular watering or potassium deficiency , I've used banana skins in the past placed in the pots when potting on in the greenhouses ,but outside is a different ball game , look for feed with sea weed extract , or make brew using mushed up bananas and there skins, comfrey tea is cheap and easey to make but it stinks ! so don't get it on your clothes , I always plant loads of tomatoes with the strategy that the more muck you throw at the wall more will stick !  

if any one is short of weeds they are welcome to come to mine pick some free of charge .

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And do you remove the leaves late in the season to increase the airflow?

Yes up to the first truss , ( a tip from gardeners world on a Friday night ) I'm sure some of the cold nights haven't helped matters  , I thought at one time I would be a threat to TESCO'S , but now I will end up going there to buy some :good:

6 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

most of mine are outside, it sounds like blossom end rot , usually caused by irregular watering or potassium deficiency , I've used banana skins in the past placed in the pots when potting on in the greenhouses ,but outside is a different ball game , look for feed with sea weed extract , or make brew using mushed up bananas and there skins, comfrey tea is cheap and easey to make but it stinks ! so don't get it on your clothes , I always plant loads of tomatoes with the strategy that the more muck you throw at the wall more will stick !  

if any one is short of weeds they are welcome to come to mine pick some free of charge .

Cheers DD , I will put some of your advice into action next year , if still about:lol: , I have got a varity of plants so maybe I might get a feed off some that are coming on :drinks:

Not got a real problem with anything in the garden only thing is i think its going to be a couple of weeks later this season than last but its to be fair and warm for a week so maybe things will catch up 

2 hours ago, derbyduck said:

I give them a small handful of chicken pellet fertilizer every other week and a liquid feed in between , only thing is i bought Homebase compost in bulk and it seems to develope a crust as it dry's out 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

sat here  right now and thinking about putting a jumper on as a t shirt is not enough.about 16 deg here in nam.not even anywhere near average temp for this time of year.

Tell me about it….just been outside and looked at the wall thermometer and its reading 58f/14c, its overcast with the odd shower and the wind feels cold.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If they have willies they are NOT girlies.

depends how they choose to identify......they way i understand it you can have willies and fannies and bonus holes and you can identify as 3 different sexes during the week depending how you feel...

Just now, ditchman said:

depends how they choose to identify......they way i understand it you can have willies and fannies and bonus holes and you can identify as 3 different sexes during the week depending how you feel...

Oh I thought that was just the MPs and Civil Servants!