CAMERAS !

Westley

Love them or hate them, they DO work !

I have just come home via a well known collision 'Black Spot' and yes, another collision causing chaos. On average there is a collision at this location, every other day. There was another there yesterday, with a car overturned. Almost in every collision it involves a 'Red lighter'. There are 4 other locations in the area that were a similar hazard until 12 months ago. That is when they installed a speed and 'Red Light' camera on the traffic light controlled junction. Apart from strangers to the area still exceeding the speed limit, the number of collisions at the location are almost NIL. Certainly the junction that I use on a daily basis, I NEVER see a red lighter or a speeder there. At the end of another local Motorway, the M62, there were a lot of collisions, including a few fatal. Speed cameras installed on the motorway, just into the 30 mph zone, and collisions stopped overnight  ! I personally believe that a lot more average speed cameras installed on roads where there are a large number of collisions would certainly reduce the incidents. 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

One type of "camera" always makes me smile and I know of several in smaller villages. A large yellow box shaped like a speed camera in a garden, the lens generally being the entrance to a bird box. I always see cars braking hard as they see them.

We had a village nearby that has an annual 'Scarecrow' festival. There was one of a "Bobby"  holding what appeared to be a radar gun, the speed limit at that point is 40mph. It did reduce the average speed of drivers down, until it got 'sabotaged' .  Shows the intellect level of some motorists  !

40 minutes ago, Westley said:

We had a village nearby that has an annual 'Scarecrow' festival. There was one of a "Bobby"  holding what appeared to be a radar gun, the speed limit at that point is 40mph. It did reduce the average speed of drivers down, until it got 'sabotaged' .  Shows the intellect level of some motorists  !

I saw one like that some years ago in Stiffkey in N Norfolk, very effective. 

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

As for the speed cameras.... What I see here in the SE is drivers slowing down while passing 'average' speed cameras 🙈😆

🤓😇🤣

I have driven on a few roads with average speed cameras and generally they seem to work. Lancashire had one of the highest numbers of the old 'Gatso' speed cameras. Although all the boxes are still there, very few contain a camera, regardless of that, people will still stick to the speed limit in BOTH directions when passing them.

2 minutes ago, Westley said:

I have driven on a few roads with average speed cameras and generally they seem to work. Lancashire had one of the highest numbers of the old 'Gatso' speed cameras. Although all the boxes are still there, very few contain a camera, regardless of that, people will still stick to the speed limit in BOTH directions when passing them.

Oh, I'm not saying they don't work,,,, it's just that some drivers [a lot of lorries too 🤷] miss the word 'average' 🤓 Also drivers slowing down while passing the road markings for the old 'speed' cameras,,,, which were removed years ago 😂

Average speed cameras with ANPR are all over Wales. It only takes a few lines of code to add the functionality of Road User Charging to these cameras

However, I went from home to Cheshire Oaks the other day - Cameras galore in Wales, but as soon as I hit the border to England the next camera I saw was actually within the Cheshire Oaks complex and was more than likely to keep an eye on traffic/queues.

Similar when I went to Warrington the other day where I don't recall seeing a camera although I was concentrating more on changed road layouts

If GB has the highest number of cameras, then Wales must be the highest within UK (Excluding London)

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Average speed cameras with ANPR are all over Wales. It only takes a few lines of code to add the functionality of Road User Charging to these cameras

However, I went from home to Cheshire Oaks the other day - Cameras galore in Wales, but as soon as I hit the border to England the next camera I saw was actually within the Cheshire Oaks complex and was more than likely to keep an eye on traffic/queues.

Similar when I went to Warrington the other day where I don't recall seeing a camera although I was concentrating more on changed road layouts

If GB has the highest number of cameras, then Wales must be the highest within UK (Excluding London)

and now you have this :) …..https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/map-shows-every-road-affected-27158414

On 06/08/2023 at 14:18, Centrepin said:

I saw one like that some years ago in Stiffkey in N Norfolk, very effective. 

That was a human being doing his daily job , just show you how laid back we are , I believe even our good friend Mr Ditchman from N/ Norfolk was asked if he wanted the job , but he was fully occupied with his cooking and never had the time :drinks: