A Sewin at Dusk

SuperGoose75

Well had a bit of a tiff with TOH before dinner prompted me to throw the gear in the van and drive to a river 40miles away that I had been meaning to fish for awhile. It was a favourite haunt of an old friend and myself back in the day. It must have been near 20yrs since I last fished it.

Long story short..! I relised I had forgotten the landing net. I was fishing two flies..a blue/silver on the point and a small brown fly on the dropper. A lot of water in the river and I was catching ''Brownies'' of various sizes on both flies. I would loved to have fished into the wee small hours, but I had to be up early this morn. So last couple of cast's and I got a nice tug that told me it was a bit bigger than the brown trout I had been getting. I played until it was beat and took the chance of lifting it up onto the bank. A wee sea trout of around the 1lb that took the lead fly. It will be cooked - en Papillote.

There is something really special and magical about night time river fishing for Seatrout. I had forgotton how much I actually enjoyed it.

Β 

Screenshot_20230810-191120_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230809-233114_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230810-191309_Gallery.jpg

Edited by SuperGoose75

23 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Top work πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β 

Cheer'sΒ πŸ‘

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

lovely story and pics:good:

lovely word Sewin

Cheer'sΒ πŸ‘

I first heard it used in a bbc fly fishing documentary about 30 yrs ago. It was about chalk stream trout in England and ''Sewin'' on the Teifi in Wales. There was another beutiful word the Teifi angler had for foxgloves!Β  I can pronounce it, but not spell it.

20 hours ago, Aled said:

Well done, thats 1 more than i've had this season.Β 

Β 

Cheer's πŸ‘Funny enough that is my first seatrout of the year, despite flogging away at my local brackish lake, that is full of trout. They just wont take any of my offerings, despite fishing 3 flies at times.

I have been doing ok at the Mackeral bashing though.

Edited by SuperGoose75

On 10/08/2023 at 19:10, SuperGoose75 said:

Well had a bit of a tiff with TOH before dinner prompted me to throw the gear in the van and drive to a river 40miles away that I had been meaning to fish for awhile. It was a favourite haunt of an old friend and myself back in the day. It must have been near 20yrs since I last fished it.

Long story short..! I relised I had forgotten the landing net. I was fishing two flies..a blue/silver on the point and a small brown fly on the dropper. A lot of water in the river and I was catching ''Brownies'' of various sizes on both flies. I would loved to have fished into the wee small hours, but I had to be up early this morn. So last couple of cast's and I got a nice tug that told me it was a bit bigger than the brown trout I had been getting. I played until it was beat and took the chance of lifting it up onto the bank. A wee sea trout of around the 1lb that took the lead fly. It will be cooked - en Papillote.

There is something really special and magical about night time river fishing for Seatrout. I had forgotton how much I actually enjoyed it.

Β 

Screenshot_20230810-191120_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230809-233114_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230810-191309_Gallery.jpg

Fantastic post Super goose there’s nothing better than fly fishing at dusk on a river Your senses come alive The closest here in Northern Ireland is night fishing for Dallagan which is a large Lough Neagh trout that comes up the rivers that run into the lough Casting onto the water at night your mind plays tricks on you πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Just now, Gerry78 said:

Fantastic post Super goose there’s nothing better than fly fishing at dusk on a river Your senses come alive The closest here in Northern Ireland is night fishing for Dallagan which is a large Lough Neagh trout that comes up the rivers that run into the lough Casting onto the water at night your mind plays tricks on you πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Glad you used the Welsh name Sewin πŸ‘

• 2 weeks later...