What’s up with my toms?

Jim Neal

On 17/08/2023 at 19:41, Bigbob said:

Have you watered them in full sun looks like sunburn 

Pretty sure it's not that.  They're against a south facing wall, I normally water first and last thing, but anyway I use a watering can with no rose and just wet the compost.  This one is in a manger up on a wall.

I don't think it's blight, doesn't look like the pictures I've looked up, the leaves aren't suffering.  None of the other seven plants (I miscounted before) are suffering so surely it would spread through them?  This plant is in the manger next to a yellow tumbler which is perfectly healthy (albeit being hammered by something which gets to eat them before I do!).

I lost my tomato guru (Dad) last year before I'd managed to learn a great deal from him about cultivating tomatoes.  So I'm learning on the job by trial and error.

I know about nipping off the errant shoots at the junctions, and there's a rule of thumb about maximum 5 fruit trusses per plant, however I was a bit too severe with a couple of this year's when they were quite small, and maybe not severe enough with some others!  I'll grab a pic when I get a minute.

Thanks all....

I am a first time tomato grower.

This plant is no more than 50cms high. We have taken eight tomatoes from it already and there are many more to come.

Our other plants with different varieties are also doing well. 

I would say it's beginners luck.

20230821_105545.jpg

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

ahhhhh the old rabbit tail on a stick eh ?

Or when your watering the garden spray them down with a hose . The tomatoes are looking okay theres plenty fruit ,flowers that i think will ripen but my maize plants are just showing the start of the tassels 

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

ahhhhh the old rabbit tail on a stick eh ?

I can remember a lot of the old boys at work asking me for rabbit tails 

Been perfect weather for late blight,  it's gone through all 30 plots on our allotments, topped all main crop potatoes 2 week ago, and took up all outside tomato plants (all infected), got 6 moneymaker in greenhouse no sign yet and cropping well now were getting some sun. Dug 9 rows of Picasso (12 ft rows) good crop 4 sacks clean and 1 sack slug damaged or caught with fork only a couple of small ones near top had signs of blight. Started digging main crop cara today not looking to bad to say there coming out early. Think I caught the potatoes just in time before it travelled down the stalks.

I have had a good year with tomatoes, I usually pick some plants up from the local horticultural society, moneymaker or whatever they have going. Had blight for several years. This year i bought some seeds from sea spring seeds in dorset, Captain beefheart, Consuelo & Tigerella. All have done well but the Captain beefheart was really good, one plant was put in a south facing corner with full sun in a good vegetable bed with loads of compost, it reached 5ft high & the crop is huge, great beefsteak tomatoes ranging from 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound in weight. Definately be growing these again!

On 21/08/2023 at 11:00, JDog said:

I am a first time tomato grower.

This plant is no more than 50cms high. We have taken eight tomatoes from it already and there are many more to come.

Our other plants with different varieties are also doing well. 

I would say it's beginners luck.

20230821_105545.jpg

I’m amazed that a gent with so many strings to his bow (and candles on his cake 🤪) is a first timer to tomato growing!

Looks like you’ve done well, keep doing what you’re doing 🙂

13 hours ago, Keith 66 said:

I have had a good year with tomatoes, I usually pick some plants up from the local horticultural society, moneymaker or whatever they have going. Had blight for several years. This year i bought some seeds from sea spring seeds in dorset, Captain beefheart, Consuelo & Tigerella. All have done well but the Captain beefheart was really good, one plant was put in a south facing corner with full sun in a good vegetable bed with loads of compost, it reached 5ft high & the crop is huge, great beefsteak tomatoes ranging from 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound in weight. Definately be growing these again!

I’ve got a random surprise beefsteak among mine. It was given to us by some neighbours as a seedling, among a batch of five, supposedly three sweet millions and two gardeners delight. The biggest fruit is now approximately 3 inches in diameter. I’ve let that plant go a bit haywire so might end up with half a dozen canes and a mile of twine holding it up!

The affected plant is on the right. 

IMG_4921.jpeg

Different angle

IMG_4920.jpeg

On 21/08/2023 at 23:19, mrpip said:

Been perfect weather for late blight,  it's gone through all 30 plots on our allotments, topped all main crop potatoes 2 week ago, and took up all outside tomato plants (all infected), got 6 moneymaker in greenhouse no sign yet and cropping well now were getting some sun. Dug 9 rows of Picasso (12 ft rows) good crop 4 sacks clean and 1 sack slug damaged or caught with fork only a couple of small ones near top had signs of blight. Started digging main crop cara today not looking to bad to say there coming out early. Think I caught the potatoes just in time before it travelled down the stalks.

Seeing the wider pictures of the plant… Would you say my problem is blight? The leaves look fine

11 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I’m amazed that a gent with so many strings to his bow (and candles on his cake 🤪) is a first timer to tomato growing!

Looks like you’ve done well, keep doing what you’re doing 🙂

I’ve got a random surprise beefsteak among mine. It was given to us by some neighbours as a seedling, among a batch of five, supposedly three sweet millions and two gardeners delight. The biggest fruit is now approximately 3 inches in diameter. I’ve let that plant go a bit haywire so might end up with half a dozen canes and a mile of twine holding it up!

Jim you old flatterer. I'm just an average Joe at most things.

23 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The affected plant is on the right. 

IMG_4921.jpeg

Different angle

IMG_4920.jpeg

Seeing the wider pictures of the plant… Would you say my problem is blight? The leaves look fine

Plant looks fine, mine started in the leaves brown spots underneath so I cut the leaves off, it spread to the fruit within days so I binned the lot about 20 plants in all. Finished lifting potatoes had 3 roots that were well infected. Tomatoes in greenhouse are all good.