Too hot to shoot?

JDog

My companion and I thought so even early this morning. Our plan therefore was to tour bean stubbles looking for an opportunity in the week.

We found two converging lines. Had it not been so hot we would have been tempted. 

On our way back we heard the unmistakable sound of a game drive in progress. What satisfaction could the guns possibly get from shooting immature, hot and thirsty partridges in 30 degree heat? 

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

My companion and I thought so even early this morning. Our plan therefore was to tour bean stubbles looking for an opportunity in the week.

We found two converging lines. Had it not been so hot we would have been tempted. 

On our way back we heard the unmistakable sound of a game drive in progress. What satisfaction could the guns possibly get from shooting immature, hot and thirsty partridges in 30 degree heat? 

None I would imagine and they will be paying through the nose for the privilege.

42 minutes ago, JDog said:

Well it is the game shooting season! Whether the birds would be immature is open to debate, but the day will have been booked and paid for well in advance of any weather predictions. 
I know plenty of lads who have been out mid week and weekend, on Wemmergill, Ousby Moor and Garrigill and others since the start of the season. All have been hot, but like they say, they’re paid to do it ( a pittance ) and as long as there’s plenty of water for men women and children, and especially the dogs, they’ll do it. 

I would think there are plenty of country's that shoot birds in weather like this but we in the UK are not used to this kind of weather at this time of year and shooting game just does seem right when its this warm, although having said that, it’s also a possible age thing, when I was in my 20s and 30s and maybe a little older I can remember on numerous occasions siting in the hide on July/August rape stubble and the sweat was running down my face and off my nose and my cloths were stuck to me, but I was young and shooting pigeons. :)

I was out last night after Muntjac, called it a night at 20.30 just too dark to see clearly, walking back to the truck and the heat, even that late in the day was notably exhaustingly warm. So much in fact a pint was required on the way home to replace the lost fluid. 

No Munty about, just 1 beefy Broc. 

Edited by Dougy

I thought exactly the same this afternoon as it was sweltering , my two thawed out Pigeons went back in the freezer and after giving my dog a swim down the marsh I went out to look over some stubble fields , Pigeons were about but not in good numbers , having said there were more than enough to pass two or three hours away on a very hot afternoon , we have several mature Oak trees along the hedgerows and getting in the shade of one with a gentlle breeze coming through it would had been more than bearable to had set up and I was beginning to regret  taking my gear out of my motor , still it should cool down next week and this might be the last very hot spell this year , but then again we can get some very nice days every month of the year .   MM

Out Friday afternoon in the heat. After a morning in a routine hospital appointment I needed the fresh air.

My son picked me up at one side of the perm and took me to the other, too far for me to walk and too steep. I took just two pints of water plus flapper and cradles, gun and ammo. Sat in the shade of an oak tree, no net. Birds came in steady and faster once the flapper and cradles deployed. 

Within 1 1/2 hours had drunk all my water. Soaked in sweat. Even in the shade the heat was tiring.

The birds kept coming, barley stubble on hard baked ground.

Called it a day at 1600 as needed more hydration. My son picked up, every pigeon was covered in flies and blown. None salvaged. He sacked them, didn't count and they went directly into the farms incinerator.