IF

wymberley

you had one FAC air rifle which you used for, say, rabbit in the main but which you liked because by downsizing the pellet gave a flatter trajectory for other smaller species, at what point would you consider purchasing something more powerful and which made  sense in terms of economics and a worthwhile increase in performance/range? An extra 5 yards? A like pellet drop to the existing one?

Edited by wymberley

Edited as I didn't answer the question. I'd want a nice flat shooting rifle with sufficient range that would do the job I intended. Not used slugs so can't answer what difference that may make but if a change gave a decent increase in range with the same or better terminal effect then I'd consider it, provided of course that extra didn't impinge on other areas, or buy a bigger cabinet and have another gun. A farmer friend often finds reasons to do so. 

Edited by GingerCat

The fac -  for longer range rabbits pigeon/crow  decoying 

The sub 12 .177 for normal rabbits, squirrels ,  pigeons   any thing elevated really . Hft -  competition  etc .

The pistol carbine .for rats  and back garden plinking . 

Obviously  there is a bit of crossover between them 

But your not gonna plink in the garden with a 50 fpe .25 cal  or take long range corvids with a sub 6 pistol .

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

you had one FAC air rifle which you used for, say, rabbit in the main but which you liked because by downsizing the pellet gave a flatter trajectory for other smaller species, at what point would you consider purchasing something more powerful and which made  sense in terms of economics and a worthwhile increase in performance/range? An extra 5 yards? A like pellet drop to the existing one?

I think you maybe over thinking things!

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I've read it 4 times now and I'm still not sure what your thinking 🤔 

19 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I think you maybe over thinking things!

You may well be right. It's decisions, decisions. Nothing wrong with being a collector, but when it comes to shooting I only want what I'll use. My granddaughter is up for the Alecto and the sub 12 177 R-10 TH which just leaves me with the 22 SE -10 which this [particular one) has turned out not to be a good buy. Assuming I get it back from the RFD and all is well - leaking and replacement barrel loose - and the power and accuracy are as were then I have to decide what to do. Do nowt and settle for what I have or keep it but at reduced power and get something (which has quite taken my fancy) which gives me a few extra yards.

Just seen your last, Mice, hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If the SE-10 was bought from the Rfd and isn't up to par can you not just return it?

Failing that if you can afford what's taken your fancy then go for it, but ask advice before you buy 👍

Not the same RFD - bought from up country and I can't be fussed with the hassle.

It's something by AA.

39 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Not the same RFD - bought from up country and I can't be fussed with the hassle.

It's something by AA.

I doubt there's anything that can't be sorted.

As for the AA, it's a fairly short list in FAC, but should be spot on, but you'll be restricted on shot count/power with it not being a bottle gun,  unless it's the twin cylinder thing.

If your going fac buy a bottle gun to get plenty of shots. If you want to you can get them with adjustable power levels. Ideal for changing circumstances like shooting elevated into trees or in barns and buildings. Then if out in open push power up. Can use slugs to pellets. You’d need to map your scope to each power setting and projectile. 

8 hours ago, figgy said:

If your going fac buy a bottle gun to get plenty of shots. If you want to you can get them with adjustable power levels. Ideal for changing circumstances like shooting elevated into trees or in barns and buildings. Then if out in open push power up. Can use slugs to pellets. You’d need to map your scope to each power setting and projectile. 

Totally spot on 

On 02/10/2023 at 21:19, Mice! said:

I doubt there's anything that can't be sorted.

I'm sure you're right.......hopefully

As for the AA, it's a fairly short list in FAC, but should be spot on, but you'll be restricted on shot count/power with it not being a bottle gun,  unless it's the twin cylinder thing.

Not a problem as it'll be live quarry only if the above is OK.

Thank you, All. Must be getting old - never heard of a very expensive rifle not coming with sling/bipod studs before. Will sit tight and make a final decision once I have the BSA back - just my luck that the required part is out of stock. :mad: