Luton airport fire

ditchman

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

There appears to be CCTV 'footage' showing the start of the fire around the front kerbside corner of a red Range Rover.  The accompanying news report stated it was diesel powered.  The CCTV would appear to be pretty conclusive as to just where and what vehicle was the source.  The 'diesel powered' may be more 'assumption' unless the actual vehicle model/variant is known.  In the footage I saw, the registration number wasn't sufficiently clear to read, but I'm guessing that with a little work (possibly earlier pre ignition footage?)  it could be read, or the time of arrival cross checked with other CCTV records (entry lane cameras)?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

"Bedfordshire Police said a man in his 30s was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage last week as a precautionary measure and investigations so far suggest the blaze started accidentally due to a vehicle fault."

6 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

"Bedfordshire Police said a man in his 30s was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage last week as a precautionary measure and investigations so far suggest the blaze started accidentally due to a vehicle fault."

Yes - why an arrest if it was accidental?  One thought; IF there was a recall for 'fire risk' reasons on your car (I understand there have been some on RangeRovers and I have had one done on my BMW) and you don't have it done - and it does initiate a fire - are you negligent?

14 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes - why an arrest if it was accidental?  One thought; IF there was a recall for 'fire risk' reasons on your car (I understand there have been some on RangeRovers and I have had one done on my BMW) and you don't have it done - and it does initiate a fire - are you negligent?

Good point.

5 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

not exactly on topic but heard today at work that one insurance firm has stopped its cover for electric cars.also charging stations are to be no longer available in multi storey car parks.anybody no if this is true ?.

On insurance, it may well be true for some companies;

https://www.cityam.com/trouble-insuring-electric-vehicles-threatens-green-shift/

On charging in multi storey car parks, I haven't seen anything.

20 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

not exactly on topic but heard today at work that one insurance firm has stopped its cover for electric cars.also charging stations are to be no longer available in multi storey car parks.anybody no if this is true ?.

I did hear that a woman whose car was damaged during the fire (£20k's worth) has been offered £7k by her insurer as they deemed her at fault.

18 hours ago, .357shooter said:

Interesting but not surprising? Just wait till the local lamp columns are adapted to charge points?

17 hours ago, Penelope said:

I did hear that a woman whose car was damaged during the fire (£20k's worth) has been offered £7k by her insurer as they deemed her at fault.

I think she purchased the car several years ago for £20k and it’s now worth significantly less all these years down the line. 
Same with any vehicle unless it’s newish and you have gap insurance. You can pay a million quid on the day and drive away from the showroom and it’s worth £750k. The insurance are only going to pay ‘like for like’ and not what you paid for it. 
Clearly she over values her car or doesn’t understand how car insurance works!

On 27/10/2023 at 15:13, .357shooter said:

Main issue is if they are to just spontaneously go pop, why would they insure them. And with very little in the way of being able to put the fires out..

I know of people saying that more ICE vehicles catch fire but if you look at how many are on the road compared to elec, then it's always going to be a higher number. But maybe not a higher % etc.