How do you deal with migrants?

JDog

On Friday afternoon I spent an hour just sitting in my car watching 500 pigeons cavorting between two stubble fields. Those pigeons were not there two days earlier.

Yesterday armed to the teeth I returned to shoot a few. Again I watched and I couldn't make sense of what I was seeing so I didn't bother setting up.

I am in the same place as I write this. The pigeons are still here but they rise and fall as a flock and I consider them to be unshootable. 

The alternative plan is cocktails for my wife and pints of Wadworths 6x for me in the local pub. I will decide in half an hour.

3 hours ago, JDog said:

No crop. Stubble is stubble. Four fields of OSR have been sprayed off due to flea beetle damage. 

Yesterday afternoon I went out after a spot of lunch just to take my dog for a walk and have a look at three fields of rape that don't look to good , loads of areas with short growth or no growth at at all , pulling up to the wood there were several Pigeons got out which is normally a good sign that there are Pigeons about , then getting to the first field I could see a good few 100 on the stubble that is showing in the middle of the field , the next also had a lot on although some of them might had been what I disturbed off the first field and it was also the same on the next one , however many there were on these three fields they were certainly more than I had seen throughout the growing period during the Summer and then on the stubbles , this was around half past two and time I walked round there was hardly a Pigeon in sight , now the clocks have changed you would need to be shooting from mid morning till mid afternoon , after that you might as well pack up and get home before it get dark .    MM

I've had the same scenario a few times one time in November about 5 years ago  there was over  2000 pigeons on 2 old stubbles next to each other I got out the car they all lifted I watched with my mouth open as they all disappeared into the distance I set up not a one came back they were definitely migrant birds because they hadn't been around in previous weeks  they are so hard to do anything with 

5 hours ago, yickdaz said:

I've had the same scenario a few times one time in November about 5 years ago  there was over  2000 pigeons on 2 old stubbles next to each other I got out the car they all lifted I watched with my mouth open as they all disappeared into the distance I set up not a one came back they were definitely migrant birds because they hadn't been around in previous weeks  they are so hard to do anything with 

Beginners mistake. :whistling:

I have witnessed this scenario on quite a few early Winters in the past.
Abnormally large flocks for our area, usually a few thousand and very spooky.
When disturbed they take off and fly very high (for pigeons), this makes me think they are migrants.
They usually are around for a couple of weeks and then disappear, I assumed they broke up and/or probably moved up country.