Cogswell and Harrison,

redial

I know that it is a sideplated boxlock of which they are a number of variations such as "The Sandhurst" "The Konor" and Etc. Some use other than the tried, trusted and now pretty much universal Soutgate ejector system which some supposed gunsmiths can't work on very well if they go out of order or out of timing.

They're not junk these Cogswell guns yet in truth they don't seem to age well and always, when I've seen them look over restored.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/cogswell-harrison/side-by-side/12-gauge/230211105059001

For that reason avoid unless there is sentimental value there are better English guns, of the same period, for similar money. Heck! £1,200? They're having a laugh! Really!

Assuming the stock length is good for you and the gun is in good order and twenty-five inch barrels not an issue the very same shop has this at £400 less that the "Coggie". And other sellers on Guntrader have some No2 at a little less cost.

https://www.guntrader.uk/dealers/oswestry/wynnstay-oswestry/guns/shotguns/25-211208104443001

Edited by enfieldspares

The mechanism (boxlock) was as has been said known as the Avant Tout,  In 1949 the Avant Tout series introduced the Konor, (Avant Tout I), the Sandhurst (Avant Tout II) and the Rex (Avant Tout III).  Not sure which model your 'possible' is, but pictured is the Sndringham and an advert for the Konor.  Information from Cogswell & Harrison: Two Centuries of Gunmaking by Graham Cooley and John Newton pub. - The Sportsman's Press, 2000.

76571601-D0DB-483C-AA81-B052F29F5A78_1_102_a.jpeg

A95F550F-6F08-4C65-9432-5019E8E44915_1_201_a.jpeg

1 hour ago, redial said:

Can anyone identify what model this is from the image please and if so perhaps you could give your views.

Its advertised in a shop not too far from me as No 2 of a pair (via gun trader).

I do miss not having a sxs  and as I am on leave this week, may go and take a look.

Thank you.

IMG_1169.png

As been said, look for something better, that gun looks like its had a hard life.

Thank you gents.

I am pleased that I asked the question, I haven’t been to the shop in question for quite sometime, they often had guns on the shelves for sale on behalf of a customers. Possibly a customer has set an unrealistic price.

I’ll give it a wide birth but look at the AYA No 2, some years ago I had a XXV, which I liked.

4 minutes ago, redial said:

Thank you gents.

I am pleased that I asked the question, I haven’t been to the shop in question for quite sometime, they often had guns on the shelves for sale on behalf of a customers. Possibly a customer has set an unrealistic price.

I’ll give it a wide birth but look at the AYA No 2, some years ago I had a XXV, which I liked.

AYA are not fetching what they did so do look around before you buy. A good example can be had at a moderate price and as you have mentioned the 25 short barrels are definitely out of fashion.

16 minutes ago, redial said:

Very nice. I bet the case could tell some tales.

Thanks

I bought the case for the label - infact, I spent spent a year or so looking (on and off) for the correct trade label / adress to match the date of manufacture of the gun. This one is out by about two doors and six months from memory - which I thought was within tolerance. The case was originally laid out for a hammer gun and with red blaze - but I had to settle for green as the chap who refitted it (and did a wonderful job) couldn't get hold of any that was red.  I prefer the green, but it's historical incorrect apparently. It's a lovely gun and handles very well, despite being sleeved.

Edited by PeterHenry

I have had a look at the 700, unfortunately nice examples are in the 7,8, hundreds.

Churchills of Dereham have a couple also close to me West Midland Shooting Ground which is £900 +.

Appreciate the suggestion.

41 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Get a W&S 700 - can find a nice one for £450+

12 hours ago, redial said:

Can anyone identify what model this is from the image please and if so perhaps you could give your views.

Its advertised in a shop not too far from me as No 2 of a pair (via gun trader).

I do miss not having a sxs  and as I am on leave this week, may go and take a look.

Thank you.

IMG_1169.png

Great sounding name, but I've heard that their guns are carp......shame. 

15 hours ago, redial said:

I have had a look at the 700, unfortunately nice examples are in the 7,8, hundreds.

Churchills of Dereham have a couple also close to me West Midland Shooting Ground which is £900 +.

Appreciate the suggestion.

If you can take a 26” then you’ll find one in that budget