Different colour woody

there are a couple of working groups investigating woodcock....have been for 20 odd years...one of the things they have been doing is netting them and measuring the beak length....which has over the decades has shortened.......this they think is due to their habitat in scandinavia ...drying out....

i cant for my life think where i collected this info.....might have been a periodical ......do a bit of google hunting and you might find a address....

measure the beak leangth before you eat it (if you can)

On 06/01/2024 at 22:11, Fellside said:

Leucistic or ‘golden woodcock’. Some nice info about these in a GWCT article. Haven’t seen one personally, but great to see your pic. 

I think someone said a month or so back, only one known to exist.

8 hours ago, BRYAN3 said:

I think someone said a month or so back, only one known to exist.

I'm afraid that would be impossible for anyone/ group to make that assumption/ observation.. there comes (migrates) so many woodcock here , not to mention England,  Wales and Scotland. What any group  or groups that studies them is only a dot in the galaxy of birds that arrive. I know lads that have shot woodcock with white tips on wings, white bars on wings, different variations.. but one thing is for sure, woodcock are a beautiful,  mystical bird definitely one of the best birds god created.. I spend all my spare time in  winter, in pursuit of the woodcock,  only to take a break to shoot ducks.. working one or two of my springers on rough ground/terrain,  and to hear that flitter, him being flushed out of heavy cover,  and coming out jinking and diving,  or maybe being flushed,  no sound,  you look and he's coming straight at like a needle, and in a flash cuts back over a tree or hedge. I could be hunting massive bogs, small  birch/Sally ring bogs, pockets of cover on sides of mountains,  forestry edges,  mix of whins,  briar, bracken with hazel, Sally, heavy ditches/hedges . You can find them anywhere,  but you need good hunting dogs with lots of drive and stamina.  And also the man carrying the gun needs to be fit and able to walk ( tramp)and shoot .. he's a test for man and dog. No matter how many birds you rise or shoot,  when your at home,  at work (ruination of shooting 😄) or plucking your birds,your plotting where next to hunt,  for the woodcock is highly addictive sport. And anyone reading  this that shoots woodcock like myself will understand when I say no other quarry will you put yourself through such hardship for..

Well….. as a fellow woodcock addict, I couldn’t agree more. A truly enigmatic and mysterious quarry. Having to be constantly ready and reading the dog’s body language for a clue is all part of it. If you take your eye off the ball for a second - isn’t that just when they flush and the chance has gone before you even get the gun up. Marvellous challenge though!

48 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Well….. as a fellow woodcock addict, I couldn’t agree more. A truly enigmatic and mysterious quarry. Having to be constantly ready and reading the dog’s body language for a clue is all part of it. If you take your eye off the ball for a second - isn’t that just when they flush and the chance has gone before you even get the gun up. Marvellous challenge though!

💯% fellside..

On 06/01/2024 at 21:48, ditchman said:

there are a couple of working groups investigating woodcock....have been for 20 odd years...one of the things they have been doing is netting them and measuring the beak length....which has over the decades has shortened.......this they think is due to their habitat in scandinavia ...drying out....

i cant for my life think where i collected this info.....might have been a periodical ......do a bit of google hunting and you might find a address....

measure the beak leangth before you eat it (if you can)

Makes a change, all of my bills are getting bigger 😢

• 4 weeks later...

Last one of the season.

The weather was pretty rough, with driving wind and rain, for most of the day, but had a great day yesterday,  to finish off to what has been a brilliant season for woodcock again. Another season over,  where does the time go!. Next season won't be long coming around again,  hopefully not with more anti's in power in government making up more laws to suit their own agenda.. hope you all had a enjoyable and successful season,  what ever your quarry. 

20240131_164225.jpg

Edited by Krico woodcock