We Know It's Been Cold But It Is The Middle Of January

marsh man

16 hours ago, Minky said:

I don't know about going soft but cold is cold. The other day I was outside helping to load one of the daughters cars up on a trailer for maintenance/repair and I was so cold my face cheeks and lips were totally frozen and numb like I'd been to the dentist for a filling.  It took about 15 minutes with the car heater running full chat to unfreeze.  I was nearly hyperthermic. I can't see any point in people scrimping on being comfortable when it is so viscously cold and I live in Kent. We have only had a bit of frost on the cars,  no snow,  but the wind chill is murderous. The government is giving out cold weather payments and winter fuel allowance. So used it for the purpose that it is given.

Fully agree with your statement , I have worked outside all of my life and thought I could stick the cold , now my body is getting into the later stages in life I really do now feel the extreme cold , last week it was bitterly cold and one morning when I took my dog out I had to put my scarf over my lugs as it was so cold , I now put the heating on when I get home rather than sit in a cold house as I have already got a bit of a cold , as you say . us olddie's get fuel allowance so use it for what it was intended for .     MM

Edited by marsh man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how cold and wet it has been,  the other day I noticed how long the grass was on the front and back lawns.  It must be around 3...4 Inches. And the  daffodils are up several inches.  Global warming.  It's still absolutely brass monkeys out there.  Cold is cold.  People who say it ain't cold are just being stupid.

Yesterday we had Storm Isha

Much in the way of advance warnings (for wind) covering our area, first yellow warning, then upgraded on Sunday to Amber warning.  The reality (and obviously I can only speak for here) was a fairly typical wet, windy and stormy night.  I have seen no 'damage' and the usual downfall of leaves, twigs and old dead bits of branch very much as any stormy winter evening.

Tomorrow we have Storm Jocelyn - currently with a yellow warning for wind again from 12:00 midday on Tuesday to 15:00 on Wednesday. 

If we keep getting these warnings for regular storms and people will quickly come to see that they carry no great significance - and the whole purpose for their usage (warning of a greater than usual risk of damage/danger) will be negated.

It may well be that Isha on Sunday p.m. through into Monday was indeed bad in other parts of the country - deserving warnings there, but here it was just a fairly unpleasant winter's day.  The warning covered pretty much the whole UK for Storm Isha, and (currently) north of a line from Cardiff to The Wash for Storm Jocelyn (due Tues 23-Weds 24th).

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Much in the way of advance warnings (for wind) covering our area, first yellow warning, then upgraded on Sunday to Amber warning.  The reality (and obviously I can only speak for here) was a fairly typical wet, windy and stormy night.  I have seen no 'damage' and the usual downfall of leaves, twigs and old dead bits of branch very much as any stormy winter evening.

Tomorrow we have Storm Jocelyn - currently with a yellow warning for wind again from 12:00 midday on Tuesday to 15:00 on Wednesday. 

If we keep getting these warnings for regular storms and people will quickly come to see that they carry no great significance - and the whole purpose for their usage (warning of a greater than usual risk of damage/danger) will be negated.

It may well be that Isha on Sunday p.m. through into Monday was indeed bad in other parts of the country - deserving warnings there, but here it was just a fairly unpleasant winter's day.  The warning covered pretty much the whole UK for Storm Isha, and (currently) north of a line from Cardiff to The Wash for Storm Jocelyn (due Tues 23-Weds 24th).

It's starting to become a little 'boy who cried wolf' scenario. The one time that we do have a weather warning that needs to be highlighted as a genuine danger to life situation or 1 in 100 year event, people will just assume it's another useless warning and perhaps they should just pack the patio furniture away and carry on as normal. 

Perhaps I didn't pay too much attention but in recent years it seems that we have at 2-3 named storms and accompanying weather warnings a month in the winter. I can't recall that being the case outside of the last 2 years or so. 

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

All part of the plan to drive the 'climate catastrophe' narrative. 

True

They are sensitizing people - lowering the bar - like they are doing with the temperatures in summer where anything above 18 degrees is in red (danger) - so they can go "Panic, Panic we have to save the world by emptying your pockets" 

Up here it was very windy - but had worse after a curry!! :D

1 minute ago, discobob said:

True

They are sensitizing people - lowering the bar - like they are doing with the temperatures in summer where anything above 18 degrees is in red (danger) - so they can go "Panic, Panic we have to save the world by emptying your pockets" 

Up here it was very windy - but had worse after a curry!!

Yep all very subliminal.

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It may well be that  on Sunday p.m. through into Monday was indeed bad in other parts of the country - deserving warnings there, but here it was just a fairly unpleasant winter's day.  The warning covered pretty much the whole UK for Storm Isha, and (currently) north of a line from Cardiff to The Wash for Storm Jocelyn (due Tues 23-Weds 24th).

Maybe all about perceived liability?

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I did see on the television news this morning a lady reporter standing near a large area of water that looked like a mill pond and I would have felt perfectly safe if I had took my flat bottomed gun punt out , then in the corner it said in big bold Red letters Breaking News , Yellow weather warning , might well had been elsewhere but it certainly wasn't no more than a light wind where she was .