1187 poor function resolved

I bought a very cheap Remington 1187 Super Skeet (£30) at auction. Always a risk as why would someone let a decent gun go for virtually no money. There was a cycling fault due to a bent part in the trigger mechanism which I identified quite early, whereby the round exiting the magazine would not trip the return to battery, also the manual close button on the magazine load ramp was very intermittent. When testing, it worked but was decidedly sluggish in operation and certainly not reliable. Having only given the gas parts a rudimentary de-carbon and clean, I guessed that this was where the problem lay. I had already upgraded the gas O-ring from 1.6mm cross section to 2.4mm (this prevents excess gas loss forward) and subsequently realised that whenever this gun was made S2, whoever crimped the mag tube had gone way over the top and had caused a minor distortion/bulge both sides of the crimp.(the extent shown by the sharpie marks in Pic 1) The piston ring would pass, but the slightest trace of carbon would act like a brake and so prevent reliable operation, I am surprised this gun was ever working to be honest and suspect that someone had started bending parts in the trigger assembly to try and get basic function. Explains the low price I guess! Such a shame when people start butchering what is usually a reliable, well made piece of engineering. The bulges could be felt by pushing the piston ring past, but was hardly measurable and not being able to remove the magazine tube (the law!) I decided to gently try and reduce the bulges. I strapped the gun to the kitchen table (too cold in the garage/workshop!) and made up a couple of reverse (grit inside) belts 120 and 1500 grit. I drove these from a drill fitted with a rubber sanding attachment and gradually polished away the bumps. I finished with Solvol Autosol metal polish driving a rag belt in the same manner. The piston ring now travels the length of the tube as smoothly as if the crimp was not there and the gun (now a dedicated slug gun) functions as it should

Sharpie marks show high points either side of the over-deep crimp

980650727_1187tube(5).jpg.9d4cb480469ae57d0866cb85ff2ae8ad.jpg

120grit reverse emery belt

1319178478_1187tube(4).jpg.e4a06e85026a1e20ad2ac437794c8efb.jpg

1500 grit wet & dry

1097550609_1187tube(3).jpg.639564cc2942ccab001d6c37cda3fb34.jpg

Rag belt with Solvol Autosol

368073806_1187tube(2).jpg.65606dfd634c892cc382980d816bf815.jpg

The finished result, only probably removed a few microns but normal operation has been resumed!

203631617_1187tube(1).jpg.2ff1a2e4727e45047e1cc37e449be155.jpg

That's a fantastic result and a great find for thet money. Wish I could find something similar. 

I am a Remington man through and through.  From my first 1100 to my current 11-87 I have loved them all. Shot very well with the 1100 but had serious trouble with her not cycling anything under 32gm for some reason so sold her on.

My current Sporting clays model is faultless though I have no O ring on her. It gave up a few years ago after a hard day on the crows and it came out in 3 pieces when I went to clean it. Strangely enough I tried it without the ring and it works fine without it.. I know it wouldn't be put there for no reason but foe me the gun works perfectly without it.

I have heard of this before, running without an O ring. I have never tried it but I believe that because the 1187 has a rudimentary gas control valve (basically a spring that releases excess gas) if there is sufficient gas, from the cartridges you use, any leaking or vented forward will not adversely detract from the volume needed to push the action backwards. My experiments with O rings came about when I was seeking to run 21g and 24g on another 1187 reliably, which I achieved with the 2.4 mm cross section O ring. (Actually, the optimum size is in fact 2.35 mm as on some guns the 2.4 could cause a failure to go into battery if that particular gun has tight tolerances) I have not been able to find the 2.35 size recently. Another useful tip, find a drill bit which matches the vent holes in the barrel and when cleaning just manually spin the bit in the hole to remove the carbon build up. ( Do not use a power drill or oversize drill bit!!)

long live/love the venerable Remmy!

Edited by impala59

Must get the drill bit out and clean out the barrel ports. Haven't done that in years.

Once saw a 1100 in .410. I've not hankered for many guns in my time but I would have loved to have added it to the collection. 

6 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Once saw a 1100 in .410. I've not hankered for many guns in my time but I would have loved to have added it to the collection. 

Pots of money! as are the 870 410's. Never really got into 410, I did once bid on, but missed an Ithaca 66 in 410 but wasn't too disappointed to be beaten!

• 4 weeks later...

After some testing over the weekend I have now finished the 1187 slug gun. I found that I needed to raise the comb on the Monte Carlo stock so as to achieve fast target acquisition and good eye relief. I used some firm foam and to make it a bit neater I covered with an odd sock and have inadvertently created a Calvin Klein designer shotgun! The CK1?!
Now also fitted with a synthetic forend and sling swivels (the front one doubles as a mount for a bipod for zeroing) It shoots point of aim at 25metres with light 7/8 oz lee slugs, 15.6 gn. bullseye, gas check and 21mm fibre wad. Roll crimped and card over slug. 

I revised my gas ring to 2mm cross section ( 24.5 id, 10 for £2.18 on the ‘bay) as I had one fail to achieve battery and the gun now cycles anything smoothly C83B0F7E-D935-49B2-B974-5D0A4D09FC12.jpeg.94831cb279d98191a2fe15af0f17c629.jpegCBF57A0C-459C-48B9-B800-4CDFEEDA09ED.jpeg.d5203ec2a891591b0c8a13d371527dd4.jpeg

sorry if you've answered it above but whats the intended purpose for this gun?  i know you've stated slug gun but outside of practical shooting (this clearly isnt going to be used for that) what is the point of getting slugs put onto your ticket? target shooting perhaps.

ive got section 1 shotguns and slug on my ticket for practical, and its never crossed my mind that as-long as im withing the conditions of my section 1 i could shoot at paper targets at proved ranges. not even sure on the legality of loading section 1 ammo into a section 2 firearm.

24 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

sorry if you've answered it above but whats the intended purpose for this gun?  i know you've stated slug gun but outside of practical shooting (this clearly isnt going to be used for that) what is the point of getting slugs put onto your ticket? target shooting perhaps.

ive got section 1 shotguns and slug on my ticket for practical, and its never crossed my mind that as-long as im withing the conditions of my section 1 i could shoot at paper targets at proved ranges. not even sure on the legality of loading section 1 ammo into a section 2 firearm.

Target shotgun is a series of slug only competitions for various classes of shotgun, using some of the old pistol courses of fire and shot at distances between 10m and 200m (and all those in between) These disciplines are promoted by the NRA at Bisley. As a practical shooter and an ex police pistol competitor I felt right at home when I tried this last year and it is a lot of fun! The classes are;

Semi Auto, (tube or box fed)

Manual (pump, lever, revolver, bolt action, tube or box fed)

Multi Barrel (Over/Under, Side by Side, Triple barrel 

Classic (single barrel, single shot.

Any sights are permitted and there are also classes for iron sights within the above classifications, hence the scope on my 1187, a dot sight on my Over and Under, a modified pistol scope on my single shot break action and a scope on my box fed pump. My Greener GP has a ghost ring type rear sight. I believe that this will take off in a big way as shooters discover it!

Additionally, there are other matches, Service, Multi Target Embassy cup, etc all of which are challenging and fun. The mixture of guns on the line is wide and interesting and doesn't follow the standard practical format and restrictions. All info is on the NRA website with all courses of fire and rules etc. This weekend and two weeks later there are major competitions at Bisley, I am shooting in as many classes as I can. Its different from practical and requires a modified skillset but is nonetheless a great and entertaining sport, try it!