WOODCOCK!!!!

Out yesterday pursuit of some pictures of woodcock with a camera that a friend of mine lent me. Please bear in mind I never used a camera (proper camera) before.. I got some good snaps of woodcock in flight all flushed with my pup tessie.  Some of you may enjoy.

Tess, LETS GET GOING 

IMG-20240218-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240218-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240218-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20240218-WA0017.jpg

Edited by Krico woodcock

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Great stuff, are you flushing for the camera? and what were the numbers like this year

Yes , tessie my Springer bitch pup (9 months old) hunting  the cover, flushing the woodcock.  With me trying to get photos of them,  alot easier said than done.  Especially when I have no experience with a camera. Yesterday was first day trying it. I got several other photos but cherry picked a few to put on here..flushed about  15/20 woodcock in about 3 hours yesterday, but I went where I thought there may be plenty of birds. Numbers were very good again this year,  had a very good season. I spend all my spare time in the shooting season from mid November till end of January after woodcock.. 

2 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Yes , tessie my Springer bitch pup (9 months old) hunting  the cover, flushing the woodcock.  With me trying to get photos of them,  alot easier said than done.  Especially when I have no experience with a camera. Yesterday was first day trying it. I got several other photos but cherry picked a few to put on here..flushed about  15/20 woodcock in about 3 hours yesterday, but I went where I thought there may be plenty of birds. Numbers were very good again this year,  had a very good season. I spend all my spare time in the shooting season from mid November till end of January after woodcock.. 

Hmm photography harder than shooting, or just another version. Interesting, looking forward to more

@deeksofdoom I'm few miles from the border, ulster. Was delighted the way some of photos turned out.  Hes a class bird.. I decided I wanted to try and get a few photos of them in the off season,  and before they head back.  Try and get another few this weekend. tessie is a 9 month old ,nearly 10 month old bitch.  She is young, but she is a big strong girl  is a ferocious hunter. Very well advanced for her age.

On 25/02/2024 at 10:47, yates said:

Well done with the photos and great days out with the dog in the countryside. I don't see the point in shooting Woodcock in this day and age though, much better to enjoy them in the wild

Have to agree with that! 

• 2 weeks later...