Pot holes and your break down cover?

Nublue 22

Just before Christmas I was driving down a narrow, one way street in the local town. There were cars parked both sides for the length of the street, so I was doing, maybe 15mph. The Land Rover 110 was literally ticking over in third gear. The front near side wheel hit a pothole. The reaction on the steering felt ‘soggy’, rather than the usual kickback you would expect. On inspection I found the track rod was bent like a banana. If this could happen at such a low speed to a vehicle built like a 110, imagine what damage could be done to a normal saloon car, especially if going a little faster. The bill for a new track rod, 2 new track rod ends and clamps, plus labour, cost me £190.

11 hours ago, Nublue 22 said:

As above,  might of been around for a bit, but I have only just found out, the RAC aren't covering you any more for hitting them, apparently it's self inflicted? 

How did you find that out?  My friend called them out Sunday morning after hitting a pothole and they were there in about 30 minutes.

Looking at recent RAC postings, it looks like they are covering incidents;

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/rac-patrols-dealt-with-record-number-of-pothole-breakdowns-this-summer/

https://media.rac.co.uk/pressreleases/rac-springs-to-the-aid-of-more-than-10000-drivers-who-suffered-pothole-related-breakdowns-in-first-three-months-of-2023-3248975

But I can't see anything about not covering pothole related incidents?

As a long time RAC member, they have become expensive and if they start getting picky and only attending 'what suits them' I will reconsider my renewal.   only called them out 3 times in nearly 50 years membership, so they have done well from me.

On 26/02/2024 at 20:23, countryman said:

I have had to change 2 Pirelli Scorpio tyres on my discovery as they failed the mot, not worn out but cracked between the treads to the core, mot tester said it’s pot hole damage and like most we have plenty around here.

In recent times the  tyres on both of our vehicles have had cracks in the grooves between the treads.  The  other  day I hit a hard pothole.  That was an Impact.  I  must get out there and really check the front tyres

I threatened the local council with court proceedings over a pothole. They tried three times to deny liability as they road had been "inspected" within so many days before the incident and repaired. So I asked for full disclosure. And it had been repaired twice with each time it noted as "repair failed". So this was now the supposed third repair which had then some weeks later been "inspected". So I asked for the record of that also. And then pointed out that if indeed the road had been "inspected" that even the deepest hole is only little more than a small puddle when full of water! At the fourth exchange of letters they paid for a new tyre and a new alloy wheel as both had been damaged. Which is why I always use the "Fix My Street" website when I can to report potholes as being a former motorcyclist what is inconvenience to a car driver could throw a 'bike rider and cause fatal injury.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

Edited by enfieldspares

On 26/02/2024 at 19:26, Nublue 22 said:

My worries are how do you get home, here in Stafford parts of our road net work are down to Roman times. 

Yep, but, they have bought one new JCB job that repairs potholes.🤣🤣🤣

On 28/02/2024 at 15:56, enfieldspares said:

I threatened the local council with court proceedings over a pothole. They tried three times to deny liability as they road had been "inspected" within so many days before the incident and repaired. So I asked for full disclosure. And it had been repaired twice with each time it noted as "repair failed". So this was now the supposed third repair which had then some weeks later been "inspected". So I asked for the record of that also. And then pointed out that if indeed the road had been "inspected" that even the deepest hole is only little more than a small puddle when full of water! At the fourth exchange of letters they paid for a new tyre and a new alloy wheel as both had been damaged. Which is why I always use the "Fix My Street" website when I can to report potholes as being a former motorcyclist what is inconvenience to a car driver could throw a 'bike rider and cause fatal injury.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my son hit a pothole and damaged his motor, Council paid up, but you need to do photos etc, it was due to be filled as had been colour sprayed around , 

Yes. This unless they cough up at first attempt of your trying. They often will try the excuse not to pay that the pothole or the road was inspected within so many days of your hitting it. At that point you need to then ask for all the records pertaining to it. The so called "road inspection" is someone driving down that stretch of road in a motor vehilce. So as said check what the on the day and previous weather was. A hole filled with water or snow or even fallen autumn leaves looks merely like a puddle. Also check how many people were in the vehicle as if single manned how can they be giving 100% care and attention to driving all of the time while looking at potholes? Persist and as a last resort threaten legal action and, mostly, they will pay as their insurers will tell them it is cheaper to pay than sent someone to court to contest the claim. I claimed for the tyre, the wheel and for additional personal injury. The settled by offering full payment for the tyre and the wheel. Lastly get the damage checked and documented by your usual garage either that day of the very next day. 

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. This unless they cough up at first attempt of your trying. They often will try the excuse not to pay that the pothole or the road was inspected within so many days of your hitting it. At that point you need to then ask for all the records pertaining to it. The so called "road inspection" is someone driving down that stretch of road in a motor vehilce. So as said check what the on the day and previous weather was. A hole filled with water or snow or even fallen autumn leaves looks merely like a puddle. Also check how many people were in the vehicle as if single manned how can they be giving 100% care and attention to driving all of the time while looking at potholes? Persist and as a last resort threaten legal action and, mostly, they will pay as their insurers will tell them it is cheaper to pay than sent someone to court to contest the claim. I claimed for the tyre, the wheel and for additional personal injury. The settled by offering full payment for the tyre and the wheel. Lastly get the damage checked and documented by your usual garage either that day of the very next day. 

Hello, Good Post, it is worth the time to contact your nearest Council Road Dpt, or if you are out of your County, 

5 hours ago, Nublue 22 said:

There out as we speak repairing them, a bag of BQ tarmac in the holes and a tap with the shovel, there not even sealing around the edges, how any council thinks this is the answer god only knows. 

Yes, that's how it is round here.  Another 'gripe' I have with the council - despite the mildest winter on record, and only very few frosts all winter we (the unclassified road I live on) have had regular copious dressings of salt.  It has been applied 4 evenings out of the last 6 (there was a very light frost one night which was also the only night frost was forecast).  The salt kills the grass verges which allows vehicles to damage the (un-kerbed) road edges.  I was particularly riled one evening as the dog and I were showered in salt as they applied it.  They say they have no money, but hardly economise by only applying salt when the forecast indicates it will be needed.  I have lost 18" of grass verge adjacent to my garden wall that is now a muddy rutted mess.