Something Different

I made my 1st duck call, back in December, when I was given a book showing how to make various calls.

Since my 1st attempt, I have made various types and styles of wooden duck calls, and I’ve found a supplier making acrylic spindle blanks.

I have placed an order for a couple of blanks to try out, and awaiting delivery next week.

Whilst I was searching the internet for acrylic blanks, I found Polyester blanks advertised and thought I would try my hand at turning 2 duck calls from them.

They were very easy to turn and sanded and polished very easy.

The orange and black call, I had to rework the grooves, as I noticed small white flecks visible because I hadn’t removed the sanding marks enough.

When I reworked the grooves with the various grit sandpaper, I then used True Grit sanding wax compound, which is brilliant stuff.

I finished the calls with Turtle Wax car polish, and they polished very nicely leaving no visible scratches or marks.

Very pleased with the end result, and awaiting parts from the USA to complete the acrylic duck calls at a later stage.

I was a bit unsure when turning the orange blank , but now it’s completed and polished, it has definitely grown on me, and the green and black is very nice.

Both calls sound very good, which is the most important part.

IMG_2268.jpeg

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3994.jpeg

Thank you all for your comments 👍

I plan to make some very nice double reed duck calls in the foreseeable future.

At the moment, I am unable to spend any shed time, due to my wife having sepsis, due to a leg infection.

She is recovering after being admitted to hospital, but the progress is slow.

My wife was very lucky, and after being admitted to hospital, was immediately placed on high dosage antibiotics and fluids for 4 days.

At the moment I’m the head cook and bottle washer and nurse !

I did manage to have 2 hours yesterday to make the green call.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

As with all calls, it's how they sound that is the important thing.

Nice work though.

Yes I agree, the sound is the most important part.

I have 2 PW members lined up to test them, this coming season and give an honest assessment on the  new acrylic calls I have planned.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Excellent work :good:.....when making a number of the same item how do you keep them uniform? eye and measuring, profile template? I presume there is no CNC machining involved.

Thanks, at the moment it has only been measurements to go off, when turning the few I’ve made.

I have made a profile template for the acrylic calls I plan on making at a later date, so they are uniform in size and style.

They are all hand turned and no CNC involved.

They are straightforward to turn, and drilled on the lathe, and fitted onto an expanding mandrel to turn and shape.

Once turned they are sanded on the lathe and sealed (wood) and polished.

Exactly the same process as pen turning, but a slightly chunkier end result.

Cheers 👍

On 21/03/2024 at 15:02, Shambam1962 said:

Thanks, at the moment it has only been measurements to go off, when turning the few I’ve made.

I have made a profile template for the acrylic calls I plan on making at a later date, so they are uniform in size and style.

They are all hand turned and no CNC involved.

They are straightforward to turn, and drilled on the lathe, and fitted onto an expanding mandrel to turn and shape.

Once turned they are sanded on the lathe and sealed (wood) and polished.

Exactly the same process as pen turning, but a slightly chunkier end result.

Cheers 👍

What guts are you using?

I purchased a piece of acrylic rod to try out and made two duck calls last weekend.

Very pleased with the results and fitted with Echo inserts.

The green polyester duck call is fitted with a Pioneer duck call insert.

I have a good selection of different acrylic rod patterns and colours on order, and will turn the acrylic inserts to match the acrylic calls as previously on the wooden calls.

Photos to follow shortly !

Just finished this call from the above acrylic blank.

It turned out really good and have enough acrylic to make another 2 tomorrow.

The acrylic was actually translucent and drilled and sanded the inside of the hole and sprayed the inside with plasticote black primer, to prevent the reed from being seen from outside.

Exactly the same technique as making acrylic pens !

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4023.jpeg

IMG_4022.jpeg

Finished 2 acrylic ivory duck calls today from a blank I received last week.

I was a bit unsure when I saw the acrylic blank, but now it’s turned , and fitted with the coloured insert, I’m pleased with the end result.

IMG_4031.jpeg

IMG_4029.jpeg