Sleeping bat

oowee

How do I get this bat to sleep somewhere else? For some reason it's taken a liking to my front porch.

I thought it would naturally relocate but it keeps coming back. It's not safe as the porch is very open.

IMG-20240320-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240321-WA0002.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Advice What type of bat is it? A small one. 🤣 Box it up and call for rescue.

Rescue is in Taunton and say its too far to come so call secret world in Highbridge.

Apparently they are coming out of winter sleep early and not enough insects to keep them going. 

Here is my wife in full anti rabies PPE making the collection. 🤣

IMG-20240321-WA0006.jpeg

Edited by oowee

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Secret world are trying to find a rabies vaccinated driver to collect it lol.  I suggested it would be safe in a box but apparently they had one escape and bite the driver.

Dracula car hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Edited by Penelope

I thought "sleeping bat" was another name for the cricket bat you keep by your bed to welcome burglars into your home.

We don't see so many bats around my way these days, one of the country lanes I would walk used to be full of them at dusk. Lovely animals

7 hours ago, oowee said:

@Penelope 🤣

They have just collected the brown long eared bat (apparently) and if it survives will bring it back to release it in a couple of days. 

If they bring it back to release it won’t it just take up residence in the porch again 🤷🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

If they bring it back to release it won’t it just take up residence in the porch again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apparently coming out of torpor early is the likely issue. Not enough food and its simply run out of energy. My wife had put the bat in a cardboard box and taped the lid. When the bat rescue came to collect it had half climbed out the lid of the box and was under the tape. The collector brought the box into the bathroom just in case it escaped as she transferred it to her box. It can't have been that exhausted but what do i know. 

21 minutes ago, oowee said:

Apparently coming out of torpor early is the likely issue. Not enough food and its simply run out of energy. My wife had put the bat in a cardboard box and taped the lid. When the bat rescue came to collect it had half climbed out the lid of the box and was under the tape. The collector brought the box into the bathroom just in case it escaped as she transferred it to her box. It can't have been that exhausted but what do i know. 

I wonder if the early spring equinox has caused that (earliest for a hundred odd years).

1 minute ago, Penelope said:

I wonder if the early spring equinox has caused that (earliest for a hundred odd years).

I reckon so, nature is a bit out of balance. Hibernation/dormancy ending before the food supply is in place.