Bag out of nowhere

As seems usual for us in our area now, a lean winter chasing low numbers of pigeons on rape resulting in only one bag of 16 and another more recent bag of 3. A few nice evenings flighting through December/January and the rest of the time spending money on diesel driving around in hope of pigeons turning up! 
Only last weekend on a family day out did I spot a few in some trees on a permission that never grows winter crops/rape so I’d not looked at. I went back for a closer look the following day to find pigeons feeding on what looked like a very sparse crop of rape, that I later found out was a fodder mix of all sorts with rape among it. There was a good number sitting up in the trees that I put out and eventually saw an odd one or two return. I glanced at it again for the next few days and seeing odd pigeons floating over each time decided it was worth a go, and shot it on the Thursday. 
Due to access via locked gates and grass fields to cross it was a later start that intended but eventually Dad and I were in position and set up with just a rotary by 12.30 after disturbing a couple of hundred out of the trees on the way there. The first bird crossed the pattern some way out within a few minutes which I shot, and a large number of pigeons dispersed from all over and gave me the opportunity to shoot half a dozen pretty quickly which I set up on cradles. 
For the next two hours I had some great sport with lots of flighting shots and plenty sweeping into the pattern. It slowed up a bit and the last half an hour picked up again until the cartridge bag was empty at 15:30. Deciding it wasn’t worth going back for any more shells we took some time sweeping the area for a pick up, which resulted in picking 83 pigeons (I had 88 on the clicker). 
A wonderful few hours that offered every shot in the book, and as it always does when it comes unexpectedly left me realising just how much I love the ongoing chase to find those pigeons! 
Had we been in position at 10:30 with more shells would have been well over the hundred mark but maybe there will be an opportunity for another go over the next couple of weeks, who knows. 

IMG_5035.jpg.31e6024e755713edee9d4cc7566ceb67.jpg

Edited by Wilts#Dave

A great report of your latest adventure out with an excellent bag.

That reconnaissance certainly paid off.

Never mind the possibility of a ton up day, just enjoy whatever sport is available.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

OB

yep, that's what we keep going out for, great when it all comes together like that, well done on a nice bag of pigeons, as you say there's a good chance you will get another day out of that field, good luck. :good:

Excellent result and these are the type of fields that are well worth keeping an eye on , we have got some fields of fodder beet and the land owner rarely worry about putting a gas gun on so if any Pigeons find the fields then they don't normally get disturbed , good bag of Pigeons and glad your dad is back in the hide and leaving the afternoon television alone until he get a bit older :lol:

Sounds pretty much like the winter's we are getting hardly anything I gave up looking start of Feb fed up of driving for hrs and not even setting up  been fishing instead cracking bag well done  I love the unexpected ones when they come along that is 

On 23/03/2024 at 12:14, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done.    :good:

Thanks 👍🏼

On 23/03/2024 at 12:27, Old Boggy said:

A great report of your latest adventure out with an excellent bag.

That reconnaissance certainly paid off.

Never mind the possibility of a ton up day, just enjoy whatever sport is available.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

OB

Absolutely, quite happy with what I shot but often when you’re not expecting it! 

On 23/03/2024 at 12:33, JDog said:

A good outing.

I find it quite amazing that 'family days out' take in potential shooting opportunities. My wife spots it in seconds.

Thanks Jdog, how is the pigeon population where you are currently? 
I agree it’s quite amazing how these days out can divert, my other half raises an eyebrow and gives me her usual ‘look’. 

On 23/03/2024 at 14:18, old'un said:

yep, that's what we keep going out for, great when it all comes together like that, well done on a nice bag of pigeons, as you say there's a good chance you will get another day out of that field, good luck. :good:

Never gets boring that’s for sure. If this persistent rain hadn’t come I would have likely given it another go, but at this rate the field will be under water! 

On 23/03/2024 at 21:31, yickdaz said:

Sounds pretty much like the winter's we are getting hardly anything I gave up looking start of Feb fed up of driving for hrs and not even setting up  been fishing instead cracking bag well done  I love the unexpected ones when they come along that is 

Odd isn’t it. When the farmer’s initially all stopped growing rape the winter shooting died off naturally but when they started growing it again albeit in smaller acreages the pigeons have just never returned in the numbers we used to get, very frustrating as I used to look forward to some winter rape decoying. 
This bag came completely out of the blue, as you say they’re the best days. 
Fingers crossed some pigeons will be along for you shortly 👍🏼

On 24/03/2024 at 11:13, pigeon controller said:

Great report well done, fodder crops can be a good source of birds at the right time. Fodder turnips have served me well in the past.

Keep watching.

Absolutely PC, managed to miss this small block somehow. Hope you’re keeping well.