Home loads

So just looking into home loading .410/12 bore for steel shot.

looking on the sites I have found the following for .410

5kg #9 Steel shot £19.50

500 cork wads £13.50

2.2kg powder £45

300 primed 65mm cases £46.98

So without the cost of the reloading dies and the setup, can I reload 300 rounds of .410 for under £100 or am I missing something?

But I’m guessing all clay grounds don’t allow home loads?

Edited by BobbyH

34 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

5kg #9 Steel shot £19.50

500 cork wads £13.50

2.2kg powder £45

So without the cost of the reloading dies and the setup, can I reload 300 rounds of .410 for under £100 or am I missing something?

But I’m guessing all clay grounds don’t allow home loads?

Missing Over Powder Card to act as seal behind cork wad and if RTO finish, Over Shot Card - I also assume you mean 1/2kg powder for £45.

But no you aren't missing much.

With regards equipment, Powder measure (I use a Lee Perfect Powder measurer), ramming dowel, electronic 100g 0.01g max min balance/scales and RTO tool are all you need if you have a drill press and are using primed cases.

With regards using homeloads at clay grounds, they are banned in competition but who is going to tell them if you are out shooting a round?

Edited by Stonepark

In my experience clay grounds allow home loads except for registered competitions,though I haven’t reloaded for over 40 years myself,small bores like the .410 or 28 bore are the only ones that are worthwhile,12 bores are cheaper to buy commercially.

Confusing?

5kg #9 Steel shot £19.50

500 cork wads £13.50   ———— Not a good idea unless you do not value the gun

2.2kg powder £45   ——————— Really that’s a lot of powder for 500 .410 but at that price buy as much as you can afford.

Then have you looked at how practical and effective the finished cartridge will be for pattern and terminal energy?

2.2kg powder £45   ——————— Really that’s a lot of powder for 500 .410 but at that price buy as much as you can afford.

Definitely where are you getting powder at that price ???. 

So I got all prices from claygame,

i have NEVER reloaded or even thought of it, but all this *****cks chat about steel shot made me think about it.

i would much rather reload than give it up, and if i need to spend the money to continue the sport in which i 100% love, then I will no questions asked. 

im that sort of guy that will happily sit there for hours and reload, or clean guns, or re-finish wood….its my hobby and the government won’t take it away from me…….I hope 😂😂😂😂

The prices and items were just a very basic guide, without looking into it is all. I want to get a .410 steel proofed Hatsan Pump as in my other posts, but no point really if it’s going to be useless, so thinking about getting all the reloading kit so I can continue to enjoy it. 

16 hours ago, BobbyH said:

500 cork wads £13.50

As steel is much harder than lead most, if not all, load data and commercial cartridges will use a thick wad cup that keeps the steel away from the bore. With .410s the only wad I know of is a plastic TPS wad which was 32p each when last in stock, but haven't been available for ages and will likely cost more. That's compared to your 3p cork wad for lead loads.

On 06/04/2024 at 11:47, TIGHTCHOKE said:

EXACTLY what I was getting at.   :good:

Completely agree with this. I have become less and less bothered about small steel shot in contact with barrels.  I can load 13.5 grams of steel #6 in a once fired Fiocchi .410 3” if I use a clay buster wad. No issues with the barrels so far. I know a lad that uses stump wads for the exact same thing with #7s. Only thing I plan on changing is using zinc plated steel. At the moment I’m using cheap Chinese steel shot from Mandels.

so many anecdotal tests out there here and abroad, with all different types of barrels and small steel shot. I’m not advocating BBBs or anything but there is a prevailing fear that you’ll cut furrows in your barrels / forcing cones and it’s just not happening.

Im pretty sure that I’ll see some marring eventually but nothing that won’t polish out.

On 14/04/2024 at 12:20, Bernard said:

Completely agree with this. I have become less and less bothered about small steel shot in contact with barrels.  I can load 13.5 grams of steel #6 in a once fired Fiocchi .410 3” if I use a clay buster wad. No issues with the barrels so far. I know a lad that uses stump wads for the exact same thing with #7s. Only thing I plan on changing is using zinc plated steel. At the moment I’m using cheap Chinese steel shot from Mandels.

so many anecdotal tests out there here and abroad, with all different types of barrels and small steel shot. I’m not advocating BBBs or anything but there is a prevailing fear that you’ll cut furrows in your barrels / forcing cones and it’s just not happening.

Im pretty sure that I’ll see some marring eventually but nothing that won’t polish out.

Nice!

could you let me know your reloading set-up?

what have you got and where did you get it from and all the jazz?

I held out for a long time looking for a second hand MEC600Jr in 410 on the Facebook groups etc. ended up buying new from Clay and Game. If there’s one calibre that will pay for itself with enough shooting it’s 410. I bought a slab of 250 Winchester steel 2 years ago and it makes me throw up in my mouth to think how much I paid. There are significant savings in lead and steel loading. If you wish to load TSS then components (TPS Wads) are challenging but not impossible.

14 hours ago, Bernard said:

The Winchester Xpert steel carts were over £1 a trigger pull when I bought them. My steel loads are 20p each in once fired cases, albeit with components I bought a while ago, but still after the Winchesters!

Sounds promising!!! I have PM’d you!!!