More recoil from older cartridges?

Not sure if this is a guns and equipment topic or cartridges but here we go. 

In a modern o/u I have shot all types of cartridges from 24-50 gram loads. 

However, recently I have been shooting some old 28 gram loads, and I’m wondering why they are so noticeably punchy. They kick way harder than any modern 28g load, and I also find some ‘quick’ 32g+ loads that are notoriously kicky (black gold etc) much softer.

The cartridges are at least 30 years old. I was given a few slabs and they work fine, dust clays fairly nicely, but I’m baffled as to why they are so much more thumpy than anything modern?

some powder can degrade over the years and become more "pokey" think most powders in modern use are made so that they get less so as they degrade. no idea what was happening 30 years ago but ive seen videos on youtube of old ammo being way over the safe limit

On 23/04/2024 at 19:19, Sweet11-87 said:

some powder can degrade over the years and become more "pokey" think most powders in modern use are made so that they get less so as they degrade. no idea what was happening 30 years ago but ive seen videos on youtube of old ammo being way over the safe limit

Over the safe limit for what? Pressure? 

that can’t be good - I’ve shot 500 of them so far - could they be harming the gun? 

10 hours ago, Gungoesbang said:

that can’t be good - I’ve shot 500 of them so far - could they be harming the gun? 

Don’t worry about the gun.

Worry about your left hand and your head!

(Joking!)

Edited by London Best

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Don’t worry about the gun.

Worry about your left hand and your head!

(Joking!)

Haha worried about the new gun! 

think they’re probably fine then… Not done any visible damage in 500 rounds and it’s a modern 3” superior steel proof gun so I doubt even degraded old powder would exceed pressures. I have no idea if that’s stupid logic or not though! 

1 hour ago, Gungoesbang said:

think they’re probably fine then… Not done any visible damage in 500 rounds and it’s a modern 3” superior steel proof gun so I doubt even degraded old powder would exceed pressures. I have no idea if that’s stupid logic or not though! 

If you are really concerned about firing old cartridges just send them over here and I will personally test every one of them for you next season. 

I just re-read your OP and it occurs to me that if the cartridges are 28 gram loads they are not actually what I would call old.
If they were old the loads would be marked in ounces.

I reckon they will be under forty years old, max.

Edited by London Best

Just now, London Best said:

If you are really concerned about firing old cartridges just send them over here and I will personally test every one of them for you next season. 

I just re-read your OP and it occurs to me that if the cartridges are 28 gram loads they are not actually what I would call old.
If they were old the loads would be marked in ounces.

Good point and heavier loads too.  :good:

20 hours ago, Gungoesbang said:

if its a modern 3" steel proof chamber its been proofed with a charge of about 1330 bar  and showed no sign of stress or damage. the going rate for a 2-3/4 cartridge is about 650 bar so it has to have been one hell of an unstable propellant to degrade to produce twice and then some pressure mate. id say you're gonna be absolutely fine but that may be the reason they feel a bit pokey

huge margine before thumpy becomes dangerous.

in my previous post about "way over the safety limit" i should of explained. it was like 70 year old  8mm mauser center fire ammo made in turkey

Edited by Sweet11-87

16 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

if its a modern 3" steel proof chamber its been proofed with a charge of about 1330 bar  and showed no sign of stress or damage. the going rate for a 2-3/4 cartridge is about 650 bar so it has to have been one hell of an unstable propellant to degrade to produce twice and then some pressure mate. id say you're gonna be absolutely fine but that may be the reason they feel a bit pokey

huge margine before thumpy becomes dangerous.

in my previous post about "way over the safety limit" i should of explained. it was like 70 year old  8mm mauser center fire ammo made in turkey

Excellent. Thought they’d been fine so far but interesting how pokey they are.

If you were to try a large range of (current and older) standard 1 oz/28g cartridges - you will get a wide variation in recoil.  LOTS of things - powder type (and it's burn velocity), wadding type and design, closure  tightness, head space, and lots of other minor items make a wide variation in the way these 'work' and the recoil produced.

I have found Hull Cartridge (Imperial Game and CompX) to be relatively 'mild'.   In 21g (12 bore) versions CompX is very mild whereas both Eley and Gamebore (and others) are noticeably 'sharper' on recoil.  Both work well enough, but I find the Hull more pleasant to shoot.

Personally - where possible I like stick to one cartridge, but admittedly have a few (Eley, Hull, Gamebore) on the go at present.

On 25/04/2024 at 14:08, Gungoesbang said:

Flog em to someone with a Hatsan  !  😄