Schnabel to beaver tail

I’m looking to change the forend on my SP1 to a beaver tail as that’s what im used too Visited my local gun smith who told me beretta in Italy only sell them paired with stocks at the minute Does any member know off any firearms dealers on the British Mainland that sell just forends  I’ve been searching the net with no success Gerry 

26 minutes ago, mellors said:

Try guntrader. 

Also there's a shop near Hertford had some silver pigeon stocks and fore ends. Recently advertised. 

Mellors thank you would you have the name off the shop my local gunsmith trying to source me a beaver tail during the week he’s going to contact beretta to see if he could just order fore end on it’s own without them selling packages stock+forend 

When you say ‘beaver tail’ do you mean a rounded fore end? If so, it would be cheaper to have your schnabel one rounded off by a decent gunsmith. It’s quite a common procedure - a lot of people have it done. 

9 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Mellors thank you would you have the name off the shop my local gunsmith trying to source me a beaver tail during the week he’s going to contact beretta to see if he could just order fore end on it’s own without them selling packages stock+forend 

Hi. 

Was chris potters hertford

No fore ends listed now. 

My local chap said a 687 would fit but finding them is hard. 

As been said above looking at new prices you'd definitely be better getting it shaved off if that's what you want. 

Had a look for you. 

Try this chap he has quite a few listed.

Good luck. 

Opening Hours

Weekdays 9am to 5pm (shop 8.30am to 5pm)

Saturday 9am to 6pm (shop 8.30am to 6pm)

Sunday 9am to 2pm (shop 8.30am to 3pm)

Sporting Targets Ltd, Knotting Lane, Riseley, Bedfordshire, MK44 1BX

Edited by mellors
Extra info

Sporting Targets do keep quite a bit of Beretta woodwork. Riseley, Bedfordshire. 01234 708893.

So do Chris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. 01892 522208.

Please be aware that the piece of wood you buy may need some adjustment to fit on to your gun and that the price of woodwork has risen tremendously in the last couple of years.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, Fellside said:

When you say ‘beaver tail’ do you mean a rounded fore end? If so, it would be cheaper to have your schnabel one rounded off by a decent gunsmith. It’s quite a common procedure - a lot of people have it done. 

Shcnarbel and beaver tail are very different things . Possible to take wood off a beavertail to make shcnarbel .But not the other way round .

12 hours ago, Fellside said:

No Fellside the schnabel is too thin as I have large hands it would be a beretta beaver tail My local gun smith in the shop yesterday took the schnabel off unscrewed the latch off and put a beaver tail on my gun to try the beaver tail had a crack on its side it was just to try and get a feel when I mounted the gun it totally changed the feel for the better 

2 hours ago, mellors said:

Had a look for you. 

Try this chap he has quite a few listed.

Good luck. 

Opening Hours

Weekdays 9am to 5pm (shop 8.30am to 5pm)

Saturday 9am to 6pm (shop 8.30am to 6pm)

Sunday 9am to 2pm (shop 8.30am to 3pm)

Sporting Targets Ltd, Knotting Lane, Riseley, Bedfordshire, MK44 1BX

Thank you Mellors I will check it out I have to ring my gunsmith midweek to see if he’s had any response from the beretta factory thanks again 👍👍👍👍

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sporting Targets do keep quite a bit of Beretta woodwork. Riseley, Bedfordshire. 01234 708893.

So do Chris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. 01892 522208.

Please be aware that the piece of wood you buy may need some adjustment to fit on to your gun and that the price of woodwork has risen tremendously in the last couple of years.

Good luck.

Thanks tight choke I’ve posted the gunsmith already put a beaver tail on the SP1 yesterday which was damaged just to get a feel It took him 2 minutes couple off unscrewing screws knocked out the fore end latch etc The change it made on the gun feeling was great 👍 

4 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

No Fellside the schnabel is too thin as I have large hands it would be a beretta beaver tail My local gun smith in the shop yesterday took the schnabel off unscrewed the latch off and put a beaver tail on my gun to try the beaver tail had a crack on its side it was just to try and get a feel when I mounted the gun it totally changed the feel for the better 

Thank you Mellors I will check it out I have to ring my gunsmith midweek to see if he’s had any response from the beretta factory thanks again 👍👍👍👍

Thanks tight choke I’ve posted the gunsmith already put a beaver tail on the SP1 yesterday which was damaged just to get a feel It took him 2 minutes couple off unscrewing screws knocked out the fore end latch etc The change it made on the gun feeling was great 👍 

OK I see what you mean now - my mistake. Yes a true beaver tail would be very different. Everything from Beretta is horribly expensive these days. Have you tried ringing GMK (the UK Beretta distributor). Sometimes they have spare woodwork lying around. Worth a phone call. If they have one, you would have to obtain it via a local RFD, as they are trade only. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

OK I see what you mean now - my mistake. Yes a true beaver tail would be very different. Everything from Beretta is horribly expensive these days. Have you tried ringing GMK (the UK Beretta distributor). Sometimes they have spare woodwork lying around. Worth a phone call. If they have one, you would have to obtain it via a local RFD, as they are trade only. 

Fellside totally agree a few years back beretta forends were selling for 75-100 pounds The problem now as with everything materials etc are more expensive so is the buyers feel the price rise Beretta now only sell them as a package Stock+forend but if anyone can get one my local gunsmith will I checked sporting targets with no success emailed Chris potter be Monday-Tuesday before reply 

Can you buy the cracked one  ?  Repaired with modern super glues, it would be a permanent repair. Keep your forend wood to refit, should you sell the gun. I have a repair to a cracked forend on a 303 auto, it's held for a good few years now and is almost invisible. 

40 minutes ago, Westley said:

Can you buy the cracked one  ?  Repaired with modern super glues, it would be a permanent repair. Keep your forend wood to refit, should you sell the gun. I have a repair to a cracked forend on a 303 auto, it's held for a good few years now and is almost invisible. 

Westly it was too bad to buy and with my OCD with guns I’d never be happy with it if I even get a good 2nd hand beaver tail il buy it 

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Westly it was too bad to buy and with my OCD with guns I’d never be happy with it if I even get a good 2nd hand beaver tail il buy it 

Nath92 on the Airgunforum would repair it for you no problem, he is a wizard and has repaired some horrendous breaks.

35 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Would Nath92 be Nathan S. ? If so - he is excellent.

Oswaldtwistle   ?  

If yes, he did my 303 forend. Excellent workmanship.

Edited by Westley

3 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

BUT, it would give you some breathing space to find the right one. My current gun looks like a 'Blue Peter project', with unfinished bits stuck on. I seem to have got the fit right, once I'm sure I will get it finished professionally. 

40 minutes ago, Westley said:

Oswaldtwistle   ?  

If yes, he did my 303 forend. Excellent workmanship.

Yes Nath92 in Oswaldtwisle, he does superb work.  Refinished my cracked and dinged MK1 HW80 stock to like new but he has done some superb repairs on stuff you would thing was well beyond repair.  

36 minutes ago, Westley said:

BUT, it would give you some breathing space to find the right one. My current gun looks like a 'Blue Peter project', with unfinished bits stuck on. I seem to have got the fit right, once I'm sure I will get it finished professionally. 

Appreciate the thoughts Westley but il wait and get the one I want 👍