Anyone Else Still Making Lead Shot?

Post it to YouTube & copy n paste the link into here. Can be an unlisted video if you prefer.

Im not making my own but definitely keen to learn, as it may be that those of us with .410s might be allowed to roll our own if the HSE deigns it so come September.

I too would like to see a video.

I made my own during the 1980s with a "Shotmaster", which seemed a bit hit and miss. I have seen self made shot machines on here and marvelled at the ingenuity.

22 hours ago, corono said:

Does anyone know werei could buy lino type.got plenty of lead

When I cast pistol bullets on a commercial basis I used to buy a half metric tonne or a full tonne at a time from Wilson & Jubb in Leeds. Sadly with WYSIWYG and modern printing methods linotype has gone the way of the presses that it was once used in. At school I was taught typesetting on a linotype press on the early 1970s but I doubt any printers now use such?

Linotype sold as "scrap (which was still perfectly good for bullet casting) is type that had been melted and recast and melted and recast so often that it had lost some of its antimony so no longer made a full fill of the type mould of the line of type. Wilson & Jubb is now I believe a development of desirable detached executive homes! Since many years!

But as I am sure you know but others may not never use plumbers' flux to flux your mix as it is corrosive. Use a wax candle or resin flux. And alas modern wheelweights too are zinc not lead alloy.

Edited by enfieldspares

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2024 at 09:57, sitsinhedges said:

Is anyone else still making their own lead shot? Ive just knocked out 100+ kg of 7.5 and 6.5 with lead I scrounged from work mixed with a bucket of linotype I had tucked away.

Yeap, I did about 25kg yesterday morning, there was no wind & the sun was shining so I set it all up & it dropped some lovely #7.5 shot.